Skyway Bridge Times

jayscore

Having early dinner when cruising out of Tampa usually causes us to miss passing under the Skyway bridge.

My question is when to expect passing under the bridge when leaving, AND returning. I realize all times are approximate.

Thanks in advance!

Having early dinner when cruising out of Tampa usually causes us to miss passing under the Skyway bridge.

My question is when to expect passing under the bridge when leaving, AND returning. I realize all times are approximate.

Thanks in advance!

Our experience has been passing under the bridge about 2 hours and 15 minutes after we leave the pier.

Two hours or so is about right. Returning could be anytime, the ship might make good time and arrive early or move along slowly and arrive later. Then depending on what time of year fog could keep you from going under the bridge for a period of time. I would go to guest services your last evening and ask them. If they can find out for you.

Two hours or so is about right. Returning could be anytime, the ship might make good time and arrive early or move along slowly and arrive later. Then depending on what time of year fog could keep you from going under the bridge for a period of time. I would go to guest services your last evening and ask them. If they can find out for you.

Taking to someone on the marine staff should help. The ship normally has an appoinment to meet the pilot outside the Skyway bridge at some specific time.

in round numbers the distance from the pier to the bridge, via the channel is 24 nautical miles.

1 knot of ship speed is 1 nautical mile per hour. For a ship, 20 knots is FAST cruising .... more is REALLY FAST .... max speed of a cruise ship is usually less than 25 knots.

In the first part of the trip from the pier the channel is narrow and speed is slow ... 10 knots maybe depending on conditions. Past here the speed can be increased - depending on conditions - but they still tend to not run 'flat out' in Tampa Bay because outside of the channel a cruise ship will get into trouble fast due to shallow water.

If the ship averages 12 knots the bridge is 2 hours from starting the run .....

if the ship averages 16 knots the bridge is 1.5 hours from starting the run .....

for arrival in order to begin off load at 0730 the ship needs to be at the pier 2 or 3 hours before to get bags off and arranged and complete other legal issues ... do the math .... 0430 at the pier means 0230 at the bridge ..... plus/minus an hour