1st time on RCL - dining question

Hello- we are seasoned cruisers and this will be our first cruise on RCL, I know we are not taking the newest vessel but it is our only option for now. We are taking the Voyageur from Singapore to Hong Kong.

My question is we did not get early dining - is there anytime dining or what are our other options? Hoping it might open up as we have teens with us who won't want to wait that late to eat!

Secondly - are there 2 formal nights typically on RCL and what is required for us to wear in the dining room?

thanks!!

Hello- we are seasoned cruisers and this will be our first cruise on RCL, I know we are not taking the newest vessel but it is our only option for now. We are taking the Voyageur from Singapore to Hong Kong.

My question is we did not get early dining - is there anytime dining or what are our other options? Hoping it might open up as we have teens with us who won't want to wait that late to eat!

Secondly - are there 2 formal nights typically on RCL and what is required for us to wear in the dining room?

thanks!!

I think you'll love the Voyager...newest isn't always the best. Great itinerary you have chosen. We did Singapore-Shanghai on Mariner.

Change from traditional MDR to MTD (My Time Dining) the flexibility is great to be able to eat when you want.

Yes, two formal nights but the type of dress is only "suggested" never mandatory. Much more casual than you might think.

My time dining can work, but usually better with reservations. We didn’t make any on our last Freedom sailing and were turned away on day one, seated on day two with a sarcastic - don’t expect to get a table the rest of the cruise.

The reality was a half empty dining room with those empty tables held for reservations. Learned from another suite cruiser that I needed to make a reservation at the time you are forced to accept and then show up at the reservation side and you get seated at a time when you want to eat. That cruiser signed up for 5.30 and showed up at 7-7.15. No wonder there were so many empty tables!

I also found the Lido to be a nice option, no wait and pretty good food. Allowed us to make the early shows without the long wait between courses.

You can also check in with dining room staff once onboard and request early dining. May take a day or so but tables usually do open up.

If you don't have early traditional, but were assigned MTD, then just go early. Before 6:45 is NOT a problem! Anything around the 7pm slot will be packed.

If you prefer late traditional, get on the waitlist for it now...call RCI on the phone and do it. Check again when you board.

I think you'll love the Voyager...newest isn't always the best. Great itinerary you have chosen. We did Singapore-Shanghai on Mariner.

Change from traditional MDR to MTD (My Time Dining) the flexibility is great to be able to eat when you want.

Yes, two formal nights but the type of dress is only "suggested" never mandatory. Much more casual than you might think.

Totally agree with the above information! (y)

Look forward to having a wonderful cruise! :)

Thanks so much for your quick response!

Does My Time Dining mean we still go to the dining room but just between certain windows of when they are open and we wait for an open table?

No...MTD has it's own dining room...just like going into a regular restaurant (it will be noted on your SeaPass card)...depending on the time you arrive you may have a bit of a wait you also may not. Ask for a table size that you prefer...you can get a table for just your group or opt to share a larger table...Your choice.

My time dining can work, but usually better with reservations. We didn’t make any on our last Freedom sailing and were turned away on day one, seated on day two with a sarcastic - don’t expect to get a table the rest of the cruise.

The reality was a half empty dining room with those empty tables held for reservations. Learned from another suite cruiser that I needed to make a reservation at the time you are forced to accept and then show up at the reservation side and you get seated at a time when you want to eat. That cruiser signed up for 5.30 and showed up at 7-7.15. No wonder there were so many empty tables!

I also found the Lido to be a nice option, no wait and pretty good food. Allowed us to make the early shows without the long wait between courses.

You can also check in with dining room staff once onboard and request early dining. May take a day or so but tables usually do open up.

So sorry you had a "sarcastic" experience...this is not the normal situation. "Lido" not on RCI.