Antigua dock & port shops area - yuck!

NJsharon

Hate to say it, but will. OP complaints sound like its all about me, and how dare a poor island country would inflict their culture and life upon my selfish-got to be catered too American life. Its a shame that so many cruisers spend 2-6hrs (even if that long) in a port, often never even venturing out on an excursion/tour, and then complain about it. For those "its all about me" people, there should be cruises that just stay at sea for the week, so they won't have to suffer visiting another culture different from their own.

Both times I've been to Antigua I've walked to the bus station and caught the bus to the beach. We rode with the locals on their way to work and school. They were extremely friendly and I would not hesitate to do it again.

Antigua has some of the best beaches.

Part of the cruising experience is traveling to different islands with different ways of living. I have been to Antigua at least once maybe twice a year for the past 10 years. As for the "vultures" at the end of the pier hawking for tours, we just bypass those by walking along the boardwalk exiting by the end of the shopping area. A simple NO thanks and keep walking usually does the trick. As for being hit by the hurricanes....it seems Antigua was spared somewhat, but the neighboring island of Barbuda was deemed uninhabitable, and the residents were evacuated to Antigua. We were there in November 2017 and again in March 2018 and in that short time, the shopping area had new concrete, and some stores were new. We just enjoy staying around the port

We stopped last week in Atigua on the Gem. I just cannot understand why they would choose that port to dock at?

The view from our balcony was sad, nasty and disgusting. It left me angry. I am sure a rundown large shack with 11 dogs (yes we counted them) on the water, with 2 half sunk small rusty boats in front of the back yard, is quite normal in their country. But for visitors it is not.... especially the 11 dogs that are very skinny, I am sure are not spayed/neutered, have lack of water & shelter.

We ventured ashore & it's close to the hassling locals you get in Nassau. 3 guys with baby monkeys, one guy squeezing a monkey by it's stomach, as he is walking around. "Taxi, taxi.... braiding, braiding..... trip, trip!" NOOOOO!

Nice tourist shops & we see 2 more dogs laying on the beautifully paved sidewalks. Both obviously having given birth sometime recently & one bleeding from it's backside. One of my daughters poured water for one of them & it lapped it up. Other one I was petting & it was very friendly, but did not look in good shape & coat was coarse. To them I guess it is just part of their life though. But if they would just spay them, this cycle could stop. The pups are probably dead somewhere.

Sigh.

I know you can take a cab or excursion to a beach over the other side. I won't get off the ship if we stop there next time, unless it is to do something to support/help the local animals. Not supporting locals who do not care.

We were on same boat, we just took a taxi to a beach and have to say, It was sooooooooooo relaxing and nice. There were a few people on beach asking if we wanted to ride jet skis or buy stuff, but were pretty good about not bothering us when we declined. I saw the dogs when we got back, I figure it is all they know, so they are used to living like that.

The concern I would have is are theses strays given rabies shots?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

and that is legit, but as has been mentioned here a few times; you will see stray dogs on many different islands and in many ports. other countries do not treat their pets the way we do.

You're going to get this to some extent in just about every Carribbean island. It's why I just stay on the ship most of the time.

Also, the worst stray dogs/cats I've ever experienced was in Rome. They were EVERYWHERE.

I was there on a cruise in 2014. I liked it there. I was solo, and walked around there safely, felt safe. The local people there were not the most friendly that I have encountered on Caribbean islands, but not particularly unfriendly either. I am a dog, cat and animal lover and did not see any in distress. Not to say that there were none there, just that I did not see any in distress or looking sick or abused in any way. I would still go back there and would definitely get off the ship and walk the port area again.

I have however seen what OP describes in Castries St Lucia, but that was many years ago, and have not been back since, though I would still love to go there again.

you cannot change the way these places are. They can only change themselves by learning and awareness. That often takes generations/at least decades for these changes to happen.

and that is legit, but as has been mentioned here a few times; you will see stray dogs on many different islands and in many ports. other countries do not treat their pets the way we do.

I know and I've seen strays all over the world and strays are usually tame but they are still out there in the wild with so much potential to contract diseases like rabies that can destroy so much.

My concern is actually with the negative impact these strays pose to human health not with how other countries treat their pets

I certainly like animals but I draw the line when I see people try to pet or have their kids pet squirrels for example and I stay far from the cats in Rome too ....

I think you may be forgetting that Antigua was hit extremely hard by a hurricane that almost totally devastated the island back in September 2017 (only 6 months ago). So that is clearly the reason that you saw what is characterized in the paragraph I highlighted in red. I visited Antigua on a cruise in 2009, and the port area was a modern Caribbean island port with many shops, quaint restaurants, and a vibrant local culture. To this day, our port day in Antigua is one of my fondest memories in more than 20 cruises. Everyone we encountered from our taxi driver to the guy who rented us chairs/umbrellas at the beach, to the cook at a restaurant where we ate who invited us into the kitchen to see how she prepared the wonderful meal we ate......it was just an awesome experience. Please do not summarily write off Antigua as they are struggling to recapture normalcy in what is undoubtedly a time of great need.

I was in Antigua in December. There is NO apparent hurricane damage in the port are or anywhere else that we visited. The island was on the "right" side of the hurricane and as a result damage was minimal.

I was in Antigua in December. There is NO apparent hurricane damage in the port are or anywhere else that we visited. The island was on the "right" side of the hurricane and as a result damage was minimal.

Also see post # 28 regarding same

I know and I've seen strays all over the world and strays are usually tame but they are still out there in the wild with so much potential to contract diseases like rabies that can destroy so much.

My concern is actually with the negative impact these strays pose to human health not with how other countries treat their pets

I certainly like animals but I draw the line when I see people try to pet or have their kids pet squirrels for example and I stay far from the cats in Rome too ....

Maggie, I totally agree with you. It is sad to say the least and yes, a health concern or should be for most of us. I am a huge pet lover but I try to use common sense when around creatures I don't know.