Cabin category boardwalk balcony on Harmony

So I'm currently making a booking in January and it appears to me that these cabin categories are pretty arbitrary. Example, I'm trying to book a cruise for 5 people. So That means I'd need to find a room that sleeps 3, then a second room that sleeps 2.

The double occupancy cabins are category 2I and 4I, but 4I costs about $113 more than 2I. Based on the description, they're the same room. They just don't have any availability for 4I,cabins next to 1I (3triple). So I'm forced to book the more expensive 2I. It just seems the room categories are just there to make certain rooms more appealing due to lower cost. Any other thoughts or comments on this? I just prefer adjacent rooms with connected balconies for more space.

When a cruise is first released, prices are set based on perceived better stateroom, lower numbers being better than higher numbers. After a while, the prices can diverge from those initial relationships based on supply and demand. Every once in a while you will see an outside stateroom more expensive than a balcony.

So I'm currently making a booking in January and it appears to me that these cabin categories are pretty arbitrary. Example, I'm trying to book a cruise for 5 people. So That means I'd need to find a room that sleeps 3, then a second room that sleeps 2.

The double occupancy cabins are category 2I and 4I, but 4I costs about $113 more than 2I. Based on the description, they're the same room. They just don't have any availability for 4I,cabins next to 1I (3triple). So I'm forced to book the more expensive 2I. It just seems the room categories are just there to make certain rooms more appealing due to lower cost. Any other thoughts or comments on this? I just prefer adjacent rooms with connected balconies for more space.

It’s not completely arbitrary. The 2l cabins are all the double occupancy cabins that are located furthest aft (within the last 5 cabins) these have the best view of the aqua theatre and are the ones that many seek out and book early which is why Royal has priced them higher.

Also Royal does not list all of its available cabins on its US website. Check availability on https://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/

You can then call Royal and ask for a specific cabin, you just can’t book it on the website.

Just an Fyi. We were in the same boat booking Harmony for January. No connecting rooms showed available for us. Checked the website for a large travel company that i usually buy from and they had better availability. When i called them they had unlisted connecting cabins!

Wham! Got three central park balconies all next to each other!