Sunblock

We bring both. You will not want to spray inside as the smell in your cabin will be way to strong & you are to close to people on the pool decks to use it and reapply and it can be quite windy sometimes on the pool deck. You can spray it on out on your balcony assuming you have one and in the ports. We always bring the coppertone sport , two of my kids have allergies to a lot of brands of sunblock so it is the only brand we use.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always buy the Equate (Walmart brand) SPF 50 spray. It is cheap, easy to apply, and does the job.

The equate brand of sunscreen ranks high in Consumer Reports. I think it may have specifically listed the spf30 sport lotion, but it’s been a year or two since I read that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was unaware that the commonly used chemicals in sunscreen damage reef life. Not being a marine scientist I can't attest to the claims, but here is the message from our snorkeling tour operator Upachaya in Roatan:

Be sure your sunscreen is PABA free and free from oxybenzone along with octinoxate. Your bug repellent should NOT contain DEET. This helps to protect the reef and surrounding environment. View this video to gain a better understanding why it is so important to limit the chemicals we wear in the water. Chasing Coral this is the trailer. The movie can be found on Netflix.

Whenever we coat ourselves in sunscreen and hop into an ocean near a reef, we don't just risk harming the algae that live inside of coral. The coral themselves are put at risk directly. When coral cells are exposed to oxybenzone, and octinoxate it damages their DNA—causing harmful mutations. It also causes young coral (which, unlike their elders, are still soft and flexible) to harden, essentially trapping them in their own skeletons and killing them. Oxybenzone can kill at least seven different types of coral, and it doesn’t take much to do it: a single drop in 4.3 million gallons of water—six and a half Olympic sized swimming pools—is enough to be deadly. Let’s work together to do our part to protect our marine life and surrounding area.

The equate brand of sunscreen ranks high in Consumer Reports. I think it may have specifically listed the spf30 sport lotion, but it’s been a year or two since I read that.

You are absolutely correct. Seems like I was buying the wrong sunscreen because of the name and the word babies. Couple of years I decided to research the best ones by consumer reports and many other reports. This June's cruise I am bringing for the three grandchildren...

Pure sun defense (50) Frozen, other characters the same! And the stick for kids Equate which is Walmarts brand. I love the stick as it is easy for my use and there's as well. Both of these had good ratings.

My personal favourite is Kinesys sunscreen. Pump spray (i.e. not whatever spray Coppertone et al use) bottle, and it feels a little greasy initially on your skin, but it goes on clear, and absorbs quickly. Small bottle, so fairly portable.

I've heard that bu Sunscreen is made by the founders of Kinesys, so also worth a look.

My daughter has albinism .... which means we must use sunscreen daily. Unfortunately we are well acquainted with sunscreen.

We use equate and Coppertone. The thing about spray is that it doesn't cover as well; it may be fine for you kid, but it works well as a second coat ... not base cost.

If you are really concerned, one of the best out there is Blue Lizard, but quite pricey and intended for extremely sensitive skin.

Our best approach is a cover up and a swimsuit that has UV protection built in. Don't forget ears, lips, top of hands and feet and a hat!

All the best!

Coppertone has a good review at consumer reports which researched the effectiveness of multiple brands of sunscreen. I will not buy the least effective ones. Most "natural" sunscreens are not effective. While snorkeling in Mexico they want you to use the natural ones. I love coral reefs and I have 120 gallon reef tank at home. Those claims that sunscreen kills coral should add scientific references. Most research is done in tightly controlled environment in a lab which may be too hard to replicate in the wild. Ocean has currents too.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

I was unaware that the commonly used chemicals in sunscreen damage reef life. Not being a marine scientist I can't attest to the claims, but here is the message from our snorkeling tour operator Upachaya in Roatan:

Be sure your sunscreen is PABA free and free from oxybenzone along with octinoxate. Your bug repellent should NOT contain DEET. This helps to protect the reef and surrounding environment. View this video to gain a better understanding why it is so important to limit the chemicals we wear in the water. Chasing Coral this is the trailer. The movie can be found on Netflix.

Whenever we coat ourselves in sunscreen and hop into an ocean near a reef, we don't just risk harming the algae that live inside of coral. The coral themselves are put at risk directly. When coral cells are exposed to oxybenzone, and octinoxate it damages their DNA—causing harmful mutations. It also causes young coral (which, unlike their elders, are still soft and flexible) to harden, essentially trapping them in their own skeletons and killing them. Oxybenzone can kill at least seven different types of coral, and it doesn’t take much to do it: a single drop in 4.3 million gallons of water—six and a half Olympic sized swimming pools—is enough to be deadly. Let’s work together to do our part to protect our marine life and surrounding area.

I’ve been hearing about this for about 6 years now, though I’m sure it’s been a known problem for much longer. I used to buy a special sunscreen online for using in the water, it was $30 or $40 a bottle, but was safe for reefs. They started adding chemicals though because people wanted the stronger coverage, so there was no sense buying it for the beach anymore.

We don’t burn so we just don’t put sunscreen on when we go to the beach, but most people don’t have that luxury and I don’t know that there’s really any way for beaches to monitor the sunscreen people wear while also not making people suffer from sunburn. It’s a catch-22, endanger the reefs, or endanger the tourists. It’s a tough spot for a country reliant on tourism.

Edited by ARandomTraveler