Security, Check In, & Boarding Process?

Cruizy7

Hi All,

My first cruise will leave out of the Manhattan Cruise terminal in about two weeks, I did the online check in and selected the earliest arrival time. What can I expect from the security, check in, and boarding process?

Never even been through airport security and check in before so I don't really have anything to compare it too. Any tips would be appreciated, i heard the wait can be crazy for boarding a cruise.

Thanks!!

security is where you put in your bag in xray/bag screening machine and you walk thru a metal detector

at check in, you give the person your passport or whatever other ID you are using and a credit/debit to setup the onboard account (you can skip this if you want). they will then give you your room key/ship card and a boarding number. after waiting in the waiting area, they will call a boarding number.

Usually security does not start processing people until 10 AM. People will be lined up before then, starting around 9:30. Once you're through security and have picked up your room keys you'll be given a boarding number. You'll be seated in an area of the terminal waiting for your number to be called.

There are restrooms and a small snack bar in the area for a cup of coffee or a snack while you're waiting.

There is usually a bit of a wait, but as long as you have your boarding passes ready and your ID's there shouldn't be any problems. Security is as stated in the previous posts and the porters start accepting baggage around 10:00 after most of the disembarking cruisers have gone.

We'll be sailing on the Gem on May 12th and can hardly wait. Think about signing in to your Roll Call and possibly joining a Meet & Greet. Could be fun.

Hi All, My first cruise will leave out of the Manhattan Cruise terminal in about two weeks, I did the online check in and selected the earliest arrival time. What can I expect from the security, check in, and boarding process? Never even been through airport security and check in before so I don't really have anything to compare it too. Any tips would be appreciated, i heard the wait can be crazy for boarding a cruise. Thanks!!

You have selected a time to "arrive at the port". Those times are not enforced.

First cruise, get the cruise started as soon as possible. Show up to the terminal at 10:15.

At the curb, there will be porters to take your luggage. DO NOT take your luggage to check-in. Print out your luggage tags from your eDocs and attach to each of your bags.Tip the porter. Your bags will be delivered to your cabin on the ship by 5 pm. Only hand carry will be allowed in the terminal. While I know you want to "do it your self" luggage, you don't want to be dragging your bags up the gangway around with you with hundreds of people squeezing into elevators as embarkation starts.

Security line will be like at the airport. Except you don't have to take your shoes off. You put your handcarry through an x-ray machine and you walk through a magnetometer. If you are bringing bottles of wine with you, you stop and pay the corkage fee for those bottles. You may NOT bring any other drinks through security.

Once you get past security, the port personnel will direct you to a check-in. For the Gem, follow the directions to your check-in counter (they use multiple counters for the big ships,,,, the Gem is a small ship).

At check-in, each adult has to fill out a health questionnaire (remember that if you check "yes" to any question, you may not be allowed to cruise), provide your passport, a credit card, and take a security photo. The agent will get your room keys and check-in is done.

You will be given a boarding number and wait until your group is called.

Boarding starts around 11:30 am.

Once onboard, the buffet opens at 11:30. O'Shehans opens at 11:30. The Main Dining Room opens at noon. Go and have lunch

If you need to make any dinner reservations, use the touch screen kiosks to make a reservation.

Have a great cruise!

My sister has to drop me off around 8:30 in order to get to her work on time. I do not expect to get checked in as soon as I get there, but can I stand in line somewhere at the port and wait until they begin security check in? I know in Miami I have been able to find a porter to take my luggage even when I’ve gotten there early and they are still in the process of unloading bags from the prior sailing. Any chance I can find something like that in Manhattan? Kinda nervous about a new port.