Question about Uniiworld River Countess Classic(Aquarium) Rooms

gkjta

We have done numerous ocean cruises - always with at least a balcony room and one river cruise on Avalon with a french balcony. We are considering the Venice Po River Cruise on the River Countess next spring. After reading all the reviews that I can and other posts about this cruise I realize there is a potential for very little or possibly no river cruising with this cruise but some lagoon cruising. Because of this I am debating about booking the "classic" or aquarium room to save money. Not sure its worth the extra money to me on this particular cruise because of the lack of river cruising - it looks like the size of the room is the same as the other rooms except the suites. I know you can't predict but am I going to feel closed in and claustrophobic? Is there more engine noise on the lowest deck or more noise in the hallway from the crew coming and going? I just was interested in everyone's opinions before I booked. Thanks in advance!

Personally, I would move up from classic to deluxe because the windows are larger. I would feel slightly claustrophobic in a classic room, because the window is small and higher up on the wall.

We met people who had the aquarium class, and they were happy with their choice. During our cruise we were docked in the same place the entire time (S. Basilio, due to an event which didn't allow us to dock east of Piazza San Marco), with another ship rafted by us just about the entire time we were at dock. Our view stayed the same the entire week, (the Hilton across the lagoon). During the lagoon cruising, most people stayed up top where drinks were passed and we had gorgeous weather.

How claustrophobic you feel is hard to say, we mainly slept and changed clothes in our room... and needed to close the drapes due to water taxis and other water traffic if we were changing.

First cruise I had a French balcony; second one aquarium class. Third one coming up - booked aquarium again. Realized the rooms are the same size and less expensive. Didn't feel claustrophobic at all because I could see outside, including ducks' feet.

Roz

We met people who had the aquarium class, and they were happy with their choice. During our cruise we were docked in the same place the entire time (S. Basilio, due to an event which didn't allow us to dock east of Piazza San Marco), with another ship rafted by us just about the entire time we were at dock. Our view stayed the same the entire week, (the Hilton across the lagoon). During the lagoon cruising, most people stayed up top where drinks were passed and we had gorgeous weather.

How claustrophobic you feel is hard to say, we mainly slept and changed clothes in our room... and needed to close the drapes due to water taxis and other water traffic if we were changing.

If you had to close drapes you I don't think that you were in the classic cabins. These are the lowest level cabins (formerly category 5) that have windows high enough up on the wall that there should be no need to close the drapes. The next 2 levels up, the former category 4 and 3 (these ships are split level) are now called deluxe. They have fixed windows, but they are larger and they go down to approximately the level of the bed. They would require closing the drapes.

We prefer to book Aquarium class to save money... We have never found the smaller window to be a deterent as we spend so little time in our cabin. We do not find it particularly noisy from engine noise or crew passing by our door (less cabins, so less passenger foot traffic during the day).

Fran