Help with White Pass Railway Excursions

MERCE4

That bus must be ...flying on the way back. :o

It’s about 21 miles so at 30mph, considerably below glide speed, it would take about 40 minutes. Obviously there is time built in for stops and photos. Do not see why you insist on believing this trip can’t be done when the tour company books it on a regular basis.

The 3½ hour tours are all train. They only go as far as White Pass Summit (nowhere near any

roads) and you come back, still on the same train.

The rail portion of all the tours is run by White Pass & Yukon Rte Railroad: http://wpyr.com

Sorry..You're not correct here....Have you done this tour? We have on Chillkoot bus up train down 3 1/2 hours. We left by bus at 8:30am and arrived by train at 12:00 noon just in time for lunch in town ...and made a few stops on the bus as we traveled up.

It’s about 21 miles so at 30mph, considerably below glide speed, it would take about 40 minutes. Obviously there is time built in for stops and photos. Do not see why you insist on believing this trip can’t be done when the tour company books it on a regular basis.

I didn't say it couldn't be done. Only that the bus you're talking about appears to

travel much faster than the bus I took back to Skagway from Fraser Meadows.

My experience was well over 4 hours.

OTOH, the difference in time could be that I was pulled by steam and not diesel on

the way to Fraser.

Was wondering if anyone has taken both the 3.5 hour and 7.5 hour trips through Chikikoot and which they enjoyed more. I was leaning towards the longer trip, but the shorter trip would allow me to spend time in Skagway.

• 4 weeks later...

Last week I took the 7.5hr tour with Chilkoot and our ship was docked from 7am to 8pm. I think we got back to Skagway around 4pm and I still had time to explore Skagway. I haven't taken the 3.5 hour, but really enjoyed the train trip and the drive further up into the Yukon Territory! If you're docked awhile, you should have plenty of time! Enjoy!

Was wondering if anyone has taken both the 3.5 hour and 7.5 hour trips through Chikikoot and which they enjoyed more. I was leaning towards the longer trip, but the shorter trip would allow me to spend time in Skagway.