Princess cruisetour comparisons: spreadsheet??

Kellie in Texas

Looking at Princess cruisetour for June 2020; for now, I'm researching the 2019 tours since 2020 isn't out yet.

For southbound, land tour first, some start in Whittier and some start in Fairbanks. Any pros and cons to those?

Also, trying to read all the 3-day and 4-day cruisetour comparisons, it all sounds the same! My eyes are crossed! Is there a spreadsheet or something similar to compare these easily?

Are you trying to compare them on the Princess website? If you have not done so, download the Alaska tour book. Pages 31-33 give visual "yardsticks" of all the tours that might help. Then you can check costs on the website, or at least get a ballpark idea for 2020. Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

I vote for starting Anchorage so you can spend at least a day there. I loved Anchorage the first time we went to Alaska so we’re going back next year and spending a few days in Anchorage before our land tour starts. Great walkable city with lots of good restaurants.

I really did not like Fairbanks. There just didn’t seem to be as much to see and do. Some people like that riverboat cruise there but I wasn’t impressed. I actually looked for a tour that avoided Fairbanks this time. You might have a different view of the city though. I did like going deeper into Alaska and the sights along the way.

I would opt for the 4 day tour. It’s nice to have the extra time, especially in Denali. Also, make sure you do the tour that goes deep into Denali, and not the short tour there. You’ll see a lot more animals.

You’re smart to do the land tour first; it’s kind of rigorous and fast-paced so it’s nice to do that first when you’re all excited at the beginning of the trip . You can relax later on the cruise. Have fun!

I suggest you cross out any trips you will not be taking...then stick with either Northbound or Southbound and are you going to include a land tour or do land on your own....once you do that the list of cruises available will be MUCH smaller and you can work from there.....I love the planning phase....have fun !

Are you trying to compare them on the Princess website? If you have not done so, download the Alaska tour book. Pages 31-33 give visual "yardsticks" of all the tours that might help. Then you can check costs on the website, or at least get a ballpark idea for 2020. Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for this. I had not found that link yet and yes, that table in there is very helpful.

After looking at the chart that @WisCruiser2 pointed me to, I notice that some cruisetours say the rail portion is "Princess Rail" but most of them say the rail portion is "Direct-to-the-Wilderness." What's the difference?

This is from the Alaska book:

"direct-to-the-wilderness®

No other cruise line offers it — Direct-to-the-

Wilderness® rail service from your ship to

our Denali-area lodges. You’ll be whisked through

some of Alaska’s most beautiful wilderness — miles

and miles of pure majesty as you cross bridges,

span meadows and glide along mountain ranges in

comfortable train cars. Step out onto observation

platforms for fabulous views of picturesque valleys

along the way to your overnight accommodations at

Princess Wilderness Lodges, conveniently located on

the doorsteps of Alaska’s legendary national parks.

Rail travel is a highlight of all cruisetours, carrying you

through some of Alaska’s most spectacular scenery as

you travel the original route of the Alaska Railroad."

I think the ones that just say "Princess Rail" is for rail travel between the lodges (Fairbanks/Denali, Denali/Talkeeta) instead of to/from the ship.

You might also try posting your question on the Princess Forum, perhaps more people who know more about it would see it :)

I vote for starting Anchorage so you can spend at least a day there. I loved Anchorage the first time we went to Alaska so we’re going back next year and spending a few days in Anchorage before our land tour starts. Great walkable city with lots of good restaurants.

I would opt for the 4 day tour. It’s nice to have the extra time, especially in Denali. Also, make sure you do the tour that goes deep into Denali, and not the short tour there. You’ll see a lot more animals.

You’re smart to do the land tour first; it’s kind of rigorous and fast-paced so it’s nice to do that first when you’re all excited at the beginning of the trip . You can relax later on the cruise. Have fun!

I had not thought of this! It’s brilliant, though! CC is always so helpful.

• 2 months later...
Thank you for this. I had not found that link yet and yes, that table in there is very helpful.

Sorry to give you a newbie question....What is the Alaska Tour Book and where is it?

Looking at Princess cruisetour for June 2020; for now, I'm researching the 2019 tours since 2020 isn't out yet.

For southbound, land tour first, some start in Whittier and some start in Fairbanks. Any pros and cons to those?

Also, trying to read all the 3-day and 4-day cruisetour comparisons, it all sounds the same! My eyes are crossed! Is there a spreadsheet or something similar to compare these easily?

Just booked an Alaskan Cruise with Princess for 6/2019 today. Cruise only. We were going to use a tour company for a 4-5 pre cruise land portion that friends had used a few years ago. I learned today that they are out of business. Does anyone know, is it possible to tack on the Princess land portion to an already booked cruise? Thanks for your help!

Just booked an Alaskan Cruise with Princess for 6/2019 today. Cruise only. We were going to use a tour company for a 4-5 pre cruise land portion that friends had used a few years ago. I learned today that they are out of business. Does anyone know, is it possible to tack on the Princess land portion to an already booked cruise? Thanks for your help!

There are pkg deals on the Princess Lodges web site. Or look at the pkg tours offered by the Alaska Railroad.

Or use a combo of train and bus with https://www.alaskatravel.com/

Or rent a car and make your own reservations at a cute cabin or lodge instead of staying at a cruiseline hotel ........

After looking at the chart that @WisCruiser2 pointed me to, I notice that some cruisetours say the rail portion is "Princess Rail" but most of them say the rail portion is "Direct-to-the-Wilderness." What's the difference?

These's a bulk of "land tour first", but, the reason for this, is many times, the lack of time, and a rushed tour. Not ideal in Alaska. 5 days is a very short add on actually. The reference to Denali is about the Tundra Wilderness tour. Many it's unknown the detail differences, but if your investing a lot of your short time in transit- don't make the big mistake of then not getting INTO the park (some Princess tours do this)

Realize also, that the "Direct to Denali" is a 10 hour train ride, going to the cruise, it's the last few hours that are the more scenic. And sometimes it's not appreciated, because it wasn't known the train ride was that long.

Take your time, and find the right tour for what you want out of your trip. Ask for details, itineraries are not the same. :)

This is from the Alaska book:

"direct-to-the-wilderness®

No other cruise line offers it — Direct-to-the-

Wilderness® rail service from your ship to

our Denali-area lodges. You’ll be whisked through

some of Alaska’s most beautiful wilderness — miles

and miles of pure majesty as you cross bridges,

span meadows and glide along mountain ranges in

comfortable train cars. Step out onto observation

platforms for fabulous views of picturesque valleys

along the way to your overnight accommodations at

Princess Wilderness Lodges, conveniently located on

the doorsteps of Alaska’s legendary national parks.

Rail travel is a highlight of all cruisetours, carrying you

through some of Alaska’s most spectacular scenery as

you travel the original route of the Alaska Railroad."

I think the ones that just say "Princess Rail" is for rail travel between the lodges (Fairbanks/Denali, Denali/Talkeeta) instead of to/from the ship.

You might also try posting your question on the Princess Forum, perhaps more people who know more about it would see it :)

Note the use of the word "whisked". That means that you go past that beautiful wilderness at whatever speed the train is travelling at and if you are looking away or you blink, you miss seeing it. Also, look at where the Princess lodges are in relation to the places you want to visit. In many cases, they are not close to anything.

If you really want to see AK, you have to allow more time than any of the land portions of cruise tours allow and you have to drive.

DON