Possible to Do Mendenhall Glacier & Mt. Roberts Tram?

globe9

We'll be in Juneau in about 2 weeks on RCCL Explorer of the Seas.

I believe we dock at noon and leave at 9pm. We want to do Mendenhall Glacier & hike to Nugget Falls as well as Mt Roberts Tramway. Wife would also like some time in Juneau itself to walk around and shop for souvenirs and local art.

My plan is to take one of the $45 shuttles out to Mendenhall as soon as we are allowed off ship. Hike around for a few hours. Then take shuttle back to town for walking around, lunch, & shopping. I think we should do Mt.Roberts tram last as it will bring us right back to ship area when done.

Does this sound feasible? I'm not sure how long it's going to take to get off of ship .I know tours are allowed off first. Then I don't know how long it'll take to get on a shuttle to Mendenhall.

Any tips? Advice? Not trying to be rushing around like crazy people to fit it all in, but we're hoping it'll be easier than it sounds.

It sounds like you would have time to do both things, or really all three things if you count shopping in Juneau. However, I haven't been to Juneau since 2007, and didn't do the tram while there, so can't really say for sure. I've also never cruised on RCCL, so I don't know how long it takes for people to get off the ship.

However, I'm going to be in Juneau myself soon, and I've done some research. From what I've read, once you get dropped off at Mendenhall, the Nugget trail isn't really too far or time-confusing, given it's a trail. But maybe someone else can tell you more.

I think the time factor depends upon how many ships are in Juneau on the day you're there, and what time they get in. You can look at the port site to determine this: http://claalaska.com/?page_id=1551

You'll need to look for the Juneau section, as the port site covers all Alaskan ports, not just Juneau. We're there with 3 other ships, so it won't be pretty trying to get on the tram or on a shuttle to Mendenhall. Hopefully your timing will be better. If you want to see where you dock, it's a bit complicated, but I can give you more information if you'd like it tomorrow. If you dock right by the tram, I would think it would give you a good start, and likewise the shuttles, as it's my understanding that they leave from there as well, although I'm not positive. The berth you don't want is the AJ dock, since it's the farthest away from the tram and town.

I'm not sure how late the stores are open for your wife, but I would guess that the ones right there near the cruise docks will be open until at least dinner time.

It will stay light pretty late, so I suppose you could always do the tram right before you have to return to the ship (or eat dinner!), assuming it's running then, and you're not docked far from the tram.

We did both in 2015. We took the Tram first thing in the morning and then went to Mendenhall. We also had lunch at the Red Dog saloon and did some shopping. Then we rode the tram again. I will say the crowds were much larger waiting to ride down the tram in the afternoon than they were in the morning.

We did both in 2015. We took the Tram first thing in the morning and then went to Mendenhall. We also had lunch at the Red Dog saloon and did some shopping. Then we rode the tram again. I will say the crowds were much larger waiting to ride down the tram in the afternoon than they were in the morning.

We rode the tram and hiked up as far as the trail goes, then went to Mendenhall (where we stayed quite some time being silly taking photos by the waterfall and climbing rocks), checked out the Red Dog Saloon (DH wanted something there), and then took the tram again.

• 1 month later...
We rode the tram and hiked up as far as the trail goes, then went to Mendenhall (where we stayed quite some time being silly taking photos by the waterfall and climbing rocks), checked out the Red Dog Saloon (DH wanted something there), and then took the tram again.

How did you get to Mendenhall — did you hike? And then to the other places? This is exactly what I want to do there, but am not sure of the logistics. Not sure DH will want to hike...

How did you get to Mendenhall — did you hike? And then to the other places? This is exactly what I want to do there, but am not sure of the logistics. Not sure DH will want to hike...

You get to Mendenhall, by shuttle bus, taxi, rental car. Your choice.

There are trails on Mt Roberts, as well as Mendenhall- several. Your time at east each is a choice. but, in the pm port time, both can easily be included.

We'll be in Juneau in about 2 weeks on RCCL Explorer of the Seas.

I believe we dock at noon and leave at 9pm. We want to do Mendenhall Glacier & hike to Nugget Falls as well as Mt Roberts Tramway. Wife would also like some time in Juneau itself to walk around and shop for souvenirs and local art.

My plan is to take one of the $45 shuttles out to Mendenhall as soon as we are allowed off ship. Hike around for a few hours. Then take shuttle back to town for walking around, lunch, & shopping. I think we should do Mt.Roberts tram last as it will bring us right back to ship area when done.

Does this sound feasible? I'm not sure how long it's going to take to get off of ship .I know tours are allowed off first. Then I don't know how long it'll take to get on a shuttle to Mendenhall.

Any tips? Advice? Not trying to be rushing around like crazy people to fit it all in, but we're hoping it'll be easier than it sounds.

A problem with late arrivals is everyone is going to up and want off the ship. But- No- tours do NOT go first, or have priority. IF your ship docks/ Have you verified the assignment? Only with tenders, can tours get preference. If you want off the ship early, then be ready to go, a 1/2 hour prior to the posted time. Line up as allowed and you will be off earlier.

Even if someone doesn't want to hike or even walk much, the Photo Point Trail at Mendenhall is fairly easy and doesn't take too much time. It takes you a little closer to the glacier than the viewpoint at the start of the trails. On the Photo Point Trail you get a view of Nugget Falls at a reasonable distance.

I thought that the U.S. Forest Service did a nice job with trails, markers, brochures, people available to give information, etc.

Just returned from Alaska cruise/tour on Thursday. You will have no problem doing what you want to do but there are some variables to consider. We did Mendenhall, shopping, Red dog Saloon for lunch (which we had a wait to get in-I recommend the reindeer pizza), more shopping all within 6 hours. By the time we returned to the ship, there was quite a lineup for the tram, so we passed. The variables to consider are ships in port-there were 3 on our day, weather-if it's cloudy or foggy you won't see anything from the tram anyway and physical condition-if you hike far at the glacier, walk thru the whole town, depending on your capabilities you will be pooped. My sister-in-law has a bad hip and was ready to return to the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

We did both, and still made it back to the ship for the 2 or 3 pm sailing (to go to Tracy Arm Fjord). In fact, we hiked up Mt. Roberts and then took the tram down (we were frugal late 20-somethings at the time -- the ride back down is free if you buy something in the gift shop). Then we took a shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier (I think it was like $20 at the time). So you have PLENTY of time to do it all by 9 pm. Most likely you can be back to the ship well in time for the early dinner seating even!