What not to eat/drink?

rentayenta

I strongly recommend against the "Free Cocktails." You know,the mixed drinks and beers that can be found all over the ship on various tables and counters. As it turns out, they were just unfinished drinks that other passengers left behind. :D

I kid, I kid...

That's called "backwash"... tasty!

I do too, but I have not seen it on a menu in quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was on the menu one night on the Vista at the end of April. I didn’t try it though. Someone said they didn’t like the barbecue chicken flatbread and I thought that was pretty good[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Watery scrambled eggs are the worst. Gak! I will stay away. Will the omelette bar make over easy eggs or are the eggs pre-mixed?

Yes, omelette bar will make fresh scrambled eggs. But you have to ask for fresh eggs. And they make great over easy eggs....

OP I think you have to consider the food may be different on individual ships. I have had the same item wonderful and meh.......depending on the ship, chef, day, etc there will be differences.

Thats a great point. We will be on the Conquest.

OP, now that you know what to avoid, you should start a thread to see what everyone recommends.

Sounds good!

A lot of what people have mentioned I like- it is definitely a matter of taste. I did not like the French onion soup- which is normally one of my absolute favorite foods. It was like water with some onions. I was also underwhelmed by the baked Alaska. The artichoke dip and chips left a lot to be desired also.

The ice tea is blech, I really recommend staying away from that.

It is flavorful when correctly cooked. Someone who likes steak "well done" would be well-advised to avoid flat iron and ruin a filet mignon instead, as it would still be tender enough to be edible. Not so for flat iron.

I usually take my steaks med-rare and agree 100%. I may take it a step further. Anyone who orders their steak "well done" is probably better off just getting the chicken. ;) I find rib-eyes are the most forgiving when overcooked, but so much better when cooked just enough to render the fat.

...great now I am hungry.

I guess anything that doesn't look or sound appealing to you. With that answer, I would say not to drink anything with coconut or eat anything with mushrooms.....

We must have similar tastebuds - I leave the coconut and mushrooms for everyone else in my family:D

A lot of what people have mentioned I like- it is definitely a matter of taste. I did not like the French onion soup- which is normally one of my absolute favorite foods. It was like water with some onions. I was also underwhelmed by the baked Alaska. The artichoke dip and chips left a lot to be desired also.

The ice tea is blech, I really recommend staying away from that.

The first time I had baked Alaska was in high school home-ec that we made ourselves. I found the science of the meringue insulating the ice cream really neat, plus it tasted amazing. Ours was very simple - ice cream between two layers of pound cake and covered with meringue then baked. I remember the meringue being light and crunchy and the dessert overall to have a nice balance of cake/ice cream/meringue. I tend to be disappointed with Baked Alaska I've had since then - too much ice cream and wimpy meringue. Carnival did have really nice berries with theirs though:D

The enjoyment of food is such a personal thing that I wouldn't hesitate to at least try something once. (Unless it was an overwhelming number of bad reviews.)

I did a Journeys cruise last year and went on it with very, very low food quality expectations

All I can say is that I was pleasantly surprised by the VAST selection and the overall quality of the food.

If you order something and don't like it, you are free to order something else. Try out a variety of foods until you find something you like. In the buffet you can take just a little to sample it. An advantage of eating at the Buffet, is that you can see the food before you take it.

Geez, there are salads, pizza, burgers, sandwiches', soups, pasta, many hot and cold selections on the buffet..... it seems endless.

In the MDR you can order TWO appetizers if you like, just to see what you might enjoy. Same thing for the entres.

I really liked the pizza. The Caesar salad was great at the pizza bar too.

The salad buffet section was really good, although I seem to hear it's been scaled down a bit.

The "Chocolate Melting Cake" is "Don't Miss"! It's fantastic with a scoop of Ice Cream.

Edited by pratzert

It is kind of hit or miss with the flat iron in general. I think they just grab whichever "looks" closest to what you ordered. Being a cheaper cut of steak, it is much less forgiving to being overcooked. Like you do, I tend to order down a few levels.

I enjoy the flat iron. It's my go-to if nothing else strikes my fancy. I agree to order at a lower doneness...but if I went down a "few" levels it'd still be mooing.

you need to do the Chef's Table, the flour for the pizza is imported from Italy and only that flour is used for pizza. The sauce is decent and the mozzarella is also imported and delicious.

Then it is pretty sad what they produced with quality ingredients.

We have had one of the new pizzas.

Skimpy toppings and dry charred crust.

Basically very dry and unpleasant.