Cash payment ($5 bill) on ferries and buses

mygreyhound66

Thank you for posting, but

what is a token book? paper token?

SBtS

Yes, it is like a book of "stamps", you tear one "stamp" along the perforation and use it per trip. Works for bus and ferry. We buy it from the Perot post office. Does not expire. Used a couple form last summer's visit.

Just returned from Bermuda today.

Here is what we used:

$5 bill for Hamilton Ferry.

Token 14 zone (from the token book) for bus and ferry.

This is what we observed:

People using the coin token, paper token, $5 bills for bus.

Same for ferry.

You actually saw people use $5 bills on the public bus? Under their rules you're not supposed to be able to use bills on the buses and in over thirty years of visiting Bermuda I've never seen that, although from time to time people have reported that a nice bus driver has allowed them to use bills. My cynical side suggests that it hasn't been just a case of the bus driver being nice, since bills aren't supposed to go in the fare collection box.

The contents of the transportation booklets are called tickets, not tokens. Tokens are the round metal coin-like objects.

You actually saw people use $5 bills on the public bus? Under their rules you're not supposed to be able to use bills on the buses and in over thirty years of visiting Bermuda I've never seen that, although from time to time people have reported that a nice bus driver has allowed them to use bills. My cynical side suggests that it hasn't been just a case of the bus driver being nice, since bills aren't supposed to go in the fare collection box.

The contents of the transportation booklets are called tickets, not tokens. Tokens are the round metal coin-like objects.

Gee thanks, would never have known that tokens are made of metal, I thought it was chocolate!:rolleyes:

Let your cynical side know that there are many "nice" bus drivers, in that case.;)

I notice that everything that people see and report/ post has always been a big problem for you if it is not what you know of or have done and seen. Amazing!

Gee thanks, would never have known that tokens are made of metal, I thought it was chocolate!:rolleyes:

Let your cynical side know that there are many "nice" bus drivers, in that case.;)

I notice that everything that people see and report/ post has always been a big problem for you if it is not what you know of or have done and seen. Amazing!

I was asking a question about public buses accepting bills because they specifically say they don't and I wanted some up to date information on that. That way we don't give out incorrect information to people. I go to Bermuda quite often but my next trip isn't until early October, so I simply wanted some current information.

And I'm sorry, but calling tickets "tokens" is wrong because tickets and tokens are two different things that have different costs, so for new travelers to Bermuda who don't know all the public transit payment options it's important to give them accurate information. By the way SBtS also asked about the "token books" because he darn well knows there's no such thing.

I'm going to tell you what makes me cynical about bus drivers accepting bills. There's a lot of bad blood between the government and the unionized bus drivers. I just wonder whether some of those nice drivers who are taking bills when they're technically not supposed to are turning all of them in at the end of their work day. I hope they're just being nice to the tourists but who knows if some drivers have other motives because there's no way to account for that money.

It's when I see people posting incorrect or questionable information that I object or ask for more information.

Let your cynical side know that there are many "nice" bus drivers, in that case.

There are many nice bus drivers and some would accept the bills from tourists. I used to take the buses there a lot and I did see it happen a few times. There are some drivers who won’t accept them and some who will accept them and make an embarrassing remark. I would never put the drivers in that position if I know that paper bills are not to be used on the buses. I have been a tourist many places and as much as I research a few times I messed up and the locals helped me out because they knew I was a tourist and didn’t know better. I hope that those who read this board who know the Bermuda rules, and will use tokens, passes, paper tickets from the booklets or exact change and not knowingly put the drivers on the spot of violating the local rules.

Bermuda is planning on a new system of electronic payment so hopefully they will come up with something that makes it easier for both tourists and locals to pay for transit.

It's when I see people posting incorrect or questionable information that I object or ask for more information.

Posting an eye witness account is not incorrect or questionable information.

If I posted "yes they accept $$$ bills, so anyone can use them now", THAT would be incorrect or questionable. If you re read my post, it says "this is what we saw....".

Posting an eye witness account is not incorrect or questionable information.

If I posted "yes they accept $$$ bills, so anyone can use them now", THAT would be incorrect or questionable. If you re read my post, it says "this is what we saw....".

Yes, you saw it so it's not incorrect or questionable. Unfortunately I've seen some other posts that claimed something was seen when I knew it couldn't have been true, or at least it was very likely it wasn't true. For some reason :rolleyes:when asked about it the person really hadn't seen it. They had heard it or misunderstood something posted here. Sorry you were so offended by my asking for your confirmation. I'll try to be more careful in my wording.

Yes, you saw it so it's not incorrect or questionable. Unfortunately I've seen some other posts that claimed something was seen when I knew it couldn't have been true, or at least it was very likely it wasn't true. For some reason :rolleyes:when asked about it the person really hadn't seen it. They had heard it or misunderstood something posted here. Sorry you were so offended by my asking for your confirmation. I'll try to be more careful in my wording.

Oh don't take me wrong, no offense was taken at all. I was just explaining to you that this was what I honestly saw, not what I heard from someone who heard from their neighbor's sister's first cousin's cat's mother in law who visited Bermuda.:D

But for laughs I am still maintaining that I thought the tokens were made of chocolate till you enlightened me. LOL!;p:D;)