Live Review: Explorer Alaska Cruise May 25th to June 1st (by a disabled vegetarian wi

Night One MDR experiences:

Without a doubt, this has been the best experience I have had food wise on RCCL since my Celiac diagnosis, and maybe ever.

Our head waiter is Belic, who is not only super aware of what Celiac disease is, but is also himself vegan. I handed him my color coded list of what is safe (tofu! Veggies! Rice! Fruits! Dairy! Corn! Beans!) And what isn't (wheat! Barley! Rye! Malt vinegar! Gelatin! Broth made from chicken/fish/beef!). He was like "of course barely and rye are in here; those are gluten!" Not only did everything I ordered tonight come out tasty and safe (the chillded watermelon/raspberry soup, spinach salad, and the veggie Indian option), but he actually personally ran up to Windjammer to get raita for me to go with my main course, and then suggested this amazing GF-vegan-nut free, off menu chocolate dessert (that is his own freaking recipe), and was hands down the best GF dessert I have had on Royal on three cruises. Sadly, my phone deleted the picture. But it was like a little flat top volcano of chocolate with chocolate drizzle and berries. SO good.

If you sail Explorer and are vegan or Celiac, I suggest emailing dining and asking to be in Belic's section. So aware, so contentious, made sure to tell me to never feel uncomfortable for asking for anything. Spent like 10 minutes looking over tomorrow's menus to make sure that ao have not only something safe to eat, bit something I *want* to eat. I am beyond thrilled.

CatDad got the fish salad on crostini starter (which he said was delicious), Prime Rib (also very tasty and huge) and the moist almond chocolate cake (he said this was just ok. Too light for him). He loved the pumpkin seed rolls...while I felt the GF bread was the only meh thing. I appreciated they had it, but it was SO dry compared to the yummy GF rolls in WJ. Same issue on the Enchantment: WJ hqs amazing GF rolls while the MDR has cardboard slices of bread. So odd.

Anyway, a great evening meal. Cannot wait till tomorrow's dinner.306b963786bdf2641e4f66f344d2b019.jpg24acc9d811fe3f5f71ad7fa139b3cfcf.jpgc94c384ae946eb7d2b13d6c76b95fc28.jpgf26c0cc15c8c149139b337343f8e04e6.jpgb1fe3c91724cc1bc4fcc9eed50a13df8.jpg

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

End of the first day.

A roaring success. Food is always such a stressful thing for me when traveling, and while Royal is usual solid, day 1 is always the most stressful. Eating yimmy food that didn't get me sick? A total win. Side note: stopped by Cafe Promenade to ask about soy or almond milk for my morning granola (they have it) and asked about the Udi's GF cookies. They have them, but they are snickerdoodle, not chocolate chip like my previous experiences. In case anyone cares.

Dinner, as I mentioned, was fabulous. The sail away party was fun, albeit cold. Watching an incredibly mixed group of folks doing the cha cha slide and Gangam Style dances was hilarious, and CatDad and I did a little hustle dancing to a 70s song until my knees started to bother me.

Shops on the Promenade had different stuff than previous cruises. Lots of Alaska branded gear and gifts, plus a pair of black/silver sparkly fleece lined booties that I really want. If tomorrow is as chilly as I suspect, I might buy them. It is chilly outside. Like woah. CatDad did NOT listen to me and barely brought any cool weather clothes, and while I brought some, I don't know if they will be enough. I wish I had brought some ear muffs in addition to my gloves and warm cowl scarves. It is also SUPER windy. I took a few pics and then was afraid my phone might blow away. Folks adventuring later on in the summer, this might not be as relevant, but folks on the next few sailings, and this fall; I think a legitimate jacket is definitely needed.

We went and sat up in the Viking Lounge for an hour or two when it was too cold to sit outside, in order to watch the beautiful sunset. My camera is NOT good; I cannot you how goregous it was sailing between Port Angeles and Victoria. Just breathtaking.

It isn't quite 11pm, but we are getting sleepy, so are back in the room. Our attendent Marc made up our bed (I brought a thin camping pad to put under my side, and it is a game changer!), brought more pillows, and the requested ice for my ice packs, but the extension cord is still MIA. Will try for that tomorrow.

Ship is definitely moving, more than in warmer waters. We can both feel it; I am fine, but CatDad needed some bonine, so stock up if you miiiiight need it, because you probably will if you are on the fence.

So here are a few photos, and with that, a good night!9394b5de56ded0a4f163c0c70afc2d1f.jpg75165c8a6caa972962c4e11c1e17c1a3.jpg37b3ad4e2b189dda5862658072306413.jpgab4e698c029127e50452d4c9ef076348.jpg9ae86b367b7c30b7cb264523df496870.jpg

Thanks for posting menus and Cruise Compass. Day 1 can be lengthy in the MDR so we’ve been going to Chops and will do it again on this cruise. Day 2 menu is my absolute favorite so I’m glad it’s staying the same as it has been on my last several cruises. Love the scallops, lobster bisque and duck!!

Looking forward to your posts.

Oooh. I am so excited for you. Fifth time! All on Royal? Which one has been your favorite.

Our main server Himi said they did make Tracy's Arm last week, so I am hopeful, but to be honest, this is our first ever Alaska cruise, so to me, any glacier will be phenomenal!

Following. I'm on next week for my fifth Alaskan cruise - second on Explorer. Will be anxious to hear if you go to Tracy Arm. Two years ago on Explorer there were too many ice flows the first of June to travel there. Instead we went up Endicott Arm to Dawes Glacier and it was just as magnificent, so don't be alarmed if you can't go to Tracy.

Yes it is great! The grab bars,and being able to sit in the shower are fantastic. I don't have a scooter or chair; I always debate, but I have a scooter at home, and I find up needing a lot of CatDad's help holding doors, going over threshholds, getting through crowds, and it triggers anxiety for me figuring out how I would do it on the ship, and I couldn't take it on most excursions anyways.

I might consider getting my own transport chair for future cruises just for certain ports, and eventually will need a chair or scooter 100% of the time, so will figure tgat out then :)

I'm sure you're onboard now and soon will make your way to your room. I think you'll LOVE it! It's like a Jr. Suite without a balcony (and zero suite perqs) and a funky bathroom. The grab bars in the shower were everything to me.

It sounds like you don't have a mobility scooter or rollator? That will make access to the room easier. The doors are not self-opening and they are HEAVY. Plan accordingly, and enjoy.

Jana

You are so very welcome! I hope ypu love Seattle as much as we do!

thank you for the great Seattle info, I will be visiting Seattle the end of June and am looking for things to do & places to eat! Alska cruise is on my bucket list for when my daughter is older

Looking forward to your upcoming review.

One question, could you note if a Naturalist will be on board, thanks

I will try to figure out if this is a thing. I assume you mean someone who enjoys and knows about nature, as compared to someone who prefers to enjoy nature while nude, correct?

I learned something today!!!! I saw Chihuly work in the Bellagio years ago. That amazing glass ceiling. I remember just standing there staring at it and my mother pulling me away. As soon as I saw your pics I remembered, and had to go to google and look it up to confirm. I would have loved going there also. Now it's on my list to see. Thank you.
Yes! That was my first time seeing Chihuly at a conference in Vegas years ago. Am totally in love.

Following along; This is our same cruise in July; except we will be doing 2 days POST Cruise in Seattle
Interesting! Do you usually prefer to do that after? I feel like I am exhausted after cruising!

Good to know for the future!

Space Needle

I was just about to hit “buy” on Space Needle tickets when a friend who is on Explorer this week told me about the construction.

“We did not go up, just to the park by it. I don’t know if the renovation effects views or not. One thing we did learn is that the tallest building in Seattle is Columbia Center. It’s taller than Space Needle and more in town - and a fraction of the cost to go up ($14.75 for a whole day pass to its Skyview Observatory). Our walking tour guide said it’s a much better deal - you can see farther, get photos of the Space Needle from it and you can go back up and watch sunset if you want. We didn’t give it a try but just giving you the information in case it’s something you might want to consider.

http://skyviewobservatory.com

So I have booked there instead!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Following! I'm on this same itinerary (and same Juneau and Skagway excursions) 2 weeks from tomorrow. I've been in Seattle all week this week for work, great weather. Hoping for more of that same weather when I head back up on the 6th to spend a couple nights downtown before sailing on the 8th. Thank you for doing the 'live'. Oh, and the Northwest is VERY vegetarian, vegan and GF friendly.
You are right about the food; one of my favorite places to visit...and if I wasn't so arachnophobic, I would live there in a heartbeat!

I hope your weather is amazing. It looks like it will be raining for us for sure in Juneau and likely in Skagway, but we'll see! It won't be the worst thing ever if it is...we'll still be on a cruise and in Alaska!

Loving your review! I will be going to Alaska at some point in the next decade.

My close friend is Celiac, so I will pass on your experiences to her.

I hope this is all useful for her. I was already cruising (and a vegetarian of 20+) years when I got my Celiac diagnosis, and assumed it meant I would have to stop. My first post DX cruise on the Indy, despite Alllll my research, talking to special needs, etc., was mediocre (esp as I don't eat meat or fish or seafood), but I seem to have started to figure things out. I share to hopefully make others with similar needs aware and feel safer and more excited about cruising. [emoji171]

Enjoy! What were some of your all time favorite things you did or saw on your Alaska cruise??

So glad to have found this review. We loved Seattle when we visited last year. I can’t believe it has been a year already since we went to Alaska. I’ll enjoy relieving it again through your review!

Enjoy! What were some of your all time favorite things you did or saw on your Alaska cruise??

Well the glaciers were definitely a highlight—I couldn’t get enough of them! In Juneau we took a flight seeing plane over glaciers which was our favorite excursion and seeing Emerald Lake in the Yukon (Skagway port) was another highlight.

I am so intrigued with having tea at the Empress that I made a note to myself about this cruise just so I can do it! I can’t wait to hear about it!

This AM, I had complimentary room service deliver coffee and fruit for CatDad, hot tea and OJ for me, plus a glass of milk for my GF granola that I brought. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to pick up a bowl and spoon from WJ last night, so used a plastic spoon I had and made it in my tea mug!

Then we went to the Meet and Mingle, where I won a bag in a bag, we had some fruit punch, and met some great folks. It was in the Viking Lounge, so the view of the waves was lovely, but the boat was really rocking. Water was sloshing in waves out of the pools, and they wound up closing them both.

CatDad and I head to the MDR for lunch. He got the Tutti Salad bar and buffet, while Belic had put in an order for me for GF pasta with mushroom/tomato sauce and dessert (and told me that the salad bar, with oil and vinegar, should be safe, since the folks working with tongues were trained well). He was right; one of the dishes of feta was out of tongues, and instead of using those from another, I watched the server go get new ones. So I got a yummy salad and waited for my pasta. And waited. And waited. My server and her asst kept checking back with me it was on the way, while tables sat at the same time as us had a salad, a meal, dessert, and coffee, and left. Folks were si nice about it, but it really did take forever. However, once it DID come out, it was yummy and hot and well seasoned, and most importantly, I didn't get sick. CatDad wasn't feeling well with these waves, so I sent him down to the cabin for bonine and to lie down. And then waited and waited for my dessert. Finally, I flagged down Maria, and she went to check; no dessert had been ordered. Now, this was fine; I had eaten enough and had that Snickerdoodle in the room I had procured last night, but I just wish someone had said something so I could have left sooner. All in all, lunch took me over 80 minutes...at Brasserie 30, which is supposed to take 30. So meh on that.

Given this, when the Izumi person came around offering to make reservations, I asked her about eating there as a GF vegetarian, since only the edamame on the menu was safe. She told me the chef xould make cucumber rolls, avocado rolls, etc., and even make a GF dressing for the Tofu Salad that was listed, so I made a reservation for lunch on Wednesday, whifh is a sea day.

And now, meeting up for reading/a nap with CatDad!c132f5edf446aff18641b0abb2ea50bf.jpgeaa4c70c14a3e6a7d3d0726c80196e35.jpgaefa60d8330179d195aebe40b79594bc.jpg

Oooh. I am so excited for you. Fifth time! All on Royal? Which one has been your favorite.

Our main server Himi said they did make Tracy's Arm last week, so I am hopeful, but to be honest, this is our first ever Alaska cruise, so to me, any glacier will be phenomenal!

First time was 17 years ago on the old Norwegian Sky. Two on RCCL Radiance and this will be two on Explorer. Favorite was Radiance north from Vancouver to Seward where we then did a DIY land extension. Took the Wilderness Express train to Juneau and then drove a rental car all over and spent nights in Talkeetna and Denali. It was the best trip ever. But as for the ship, I like Explorer much better.

Edited by lovelife
Train to Anchorage, not Juneau

First time was 17 years ago on the old Norwegian Sky. Two on RCCL Radiance and this will be two on Explorer. Favorite was Radiance north from Vancouver to Seward where we then did a DIY land extension. Took the Wilderness Express train to Juneau and then drove a rental car all over and spent nights in Talkeetna and Denali. It was the best trip ever. But as for the ship, I like Explorer much better.

Good grief, I meant took the train to Anchorage, not Juneau. (The only way into Juneau is by plane, boat, or birth canal!)