Live Review: Explorer Alaska Cruise May 25th to June 1st (by a disabled vegetarian wi

Hi! I'm enjoying your review. My husband and I are going on this cruise in late July. Have you noticed if there are excursions offered through the ship that weren't listed online prior to your cruise? We want to go to the Mendenhall glacier, but not as part of a tour/guided hike. Does the ship offer a shuttle to the glacier like they do the beaches in the Caribbean? I know we can take Uber or a taxi, and I know about the public bus. I'm trying to decide if we need to book something before we get on board.

Thanks!

Hi! I'm enjoying your review. My husband and I are going on this cruise in late July. Have you noticed if there are excursions offered through the ship that weren't listed online prior to your cruise? We want to go to the Mendenhall glacier, but not as part of a tour/guided hike. Does the ship offer a shuttle to the glacier like they do the beaches in the Caribbean? I know we can take Uber or a taxi, and I know about the public bus. I'm trying to decide if we need to book something before we get on board.

Thanks!

I'm not the OP but we just took the shuttle in front of the Mt. Roberts tram to the glacier, and we just bought our tickets when we got there. From where we docked (Coral Princess), it was just a short walk to the shuttle. If you have a group going, a taxi is cheaper, but this was more convenient. The public bus drops you a half mile from the Vistor's Center so that would be the least desirable option.

http://www.juneautours.com/book-a-tour/details/33355/mendenhall-glacier-shuttle/

Gah. I have days worth of cruise compasses, menus, food, glaciers, train pics, but the internet is so spotty and won't upload any images jere1, and just a few on instagram (same screen name, if you want to see them).

Just wanted to note how lovely (and ADA accessible) the train ride was, and how absolutely stunning the Dawes glacier was. We ran late in getting startdd yesterday due to massive fog, and wound up going up the Endicott Arm due to ice flow...but it was beyond stunning. I really don't think Tracy's Arm would have been any more thrilling. Plus we have had beautifully sunny weather and it has just been so wonderful.

Also, the ice show was fantastic and a must see. As a former competitive skater, I was so impressed with what they could do in such small and moving space.

Pics when I can!

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Gah. I have days worth of cruise compasses, menus, food, glaciers, train pics, but the internet is so spotty and won't upload any images jere1, and just a few on instagram (same screen name, if you want to see them).

Just wanted to note how lovely (and ADA accessible) the train ride was, and how absolutely stunning the Dawes glacier was. We ran late in getting startdd yesterday due to massive fog, and wound up going up the Endicott Arm due to ice flow...but it was beyond stunning. I really don't think Tracy's Arm would have been any more thrilling. Plus we have had beautifully sunny weather and it has just been so wonderful.

Also, the ice show was fantastic and a must see. As a former competitive skater, I was so impressed with what they could do in such small and moving space.

Pics when I can!

Thanks for the update! Glad Endicott was awesome and I'm also happy to see another rave review for the train.

Loving your review! We are on Explorer in August and I am getting more excited by the day. We have also booked the whale watching/Mendenhall glacier in Juneau and the train in Skagway both from Royal. I’m glad that you loved the excursions. You mentioned the internet is spotty. Do you have the package? I was thinking about getting it but I might be having second thoughts if the signal isn’t very good. Thanks again for the review and love the pics.

Thank you, I appreciate this!

quote=Beachiekeen;56188272]I'm not the OP but we just took the shuttle in front of the Mt. Roberts tram to the glacier, and we just bought our tickets when we got there. From where we docked (Coral Princess), it was just a short walk to the shuttle. If you have a group going, a taxi is cheaper, but this was more convenient. The public bus drops you a half mile from the Vistor's Center so that would be the least desirable option.

http://www.juneautours.com/book-a-tour/details/33355/mendenhall-glacier-shuttle/

Here is the Izumi menu and food. We decided to go for lunch on our 3rd sea day, given my issues with both MDR and WJ during sea day lunches. I brought my own GF soy sauce (they do not have any on board), and they made me a dressing-less tofu salad (I used my soy sauce and added pickled ginger), an avocado roll, and a cucumber roll (both were made with soy paper instead of nori for some reason: they told me the seaweed wasn't GF? Odd, but still tasted good). CatDad had wonton soup (he saix very tasty) and the poke bowl (was not a fan; for some reason, they filled it with raw onions). Plus free edamame to start. About $40 all together plus 18% gratuity, and we would go again. f1b341cc9104f476f2c9363699a65289.jpg7b3221630c6eb35f83dc5ecfea40e1a9.jpg7683c58fe20c19a1359bf5ace4990364.jpgda7231f091a75db001fd2274b4d621db.jpg76bf6d7d63d36bb4a935854d90beb160.jpg6ed09e0ba7a5c69ae511537f0c78c598.jpg

Sooo Happy I found this thread! Thank you!!!!.....We leave next Thursday for Seattle for this exact cruise leaving on the Explorer on Friday June 8th! Any thing you can advise what to bring with you on the Train Ride or your first Excursion?

Sooo Happy I found this thread! Thank you!!!!.....We leave next Thursday for Seattle for this exact cruise leaving on the Explorer on Friday June 8th! Any thing you can advise what to bring with you on the Train Ride or your first Excursion?
On the train ride, I would bring some factory sealed snacks, or snacks picked up on Skagway. It is 3+ hours long and theu have unlimited bottled water, but that is it. Layers for sure on both. Binoculars if you have them on the train, but they provide them on the whale watching boat. Cameras of course. Otherwise, just yourselves and lot of layers/hats/sunglasses/etc as the weather keeps shifting

Cat Lady just wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed/am enjoying your review. So glad you and Cat Dad are enjoying your cruise. Brings back so many memories from my Alaska cruise & I think you may have convinced me to book another for next summer! Hope you continue to enjoy yourselves & safe travels home.

Cat Lady just wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed/am enjoying your review. So glad you and Cat Dad are enjoying your cruise. Brings back so many memories from my Alaska cruise & I think you may have convinced me to book another for next summer! Hope you continue to enjoy yourselves & safe travels home.
Thank you for the kind thoughts and so glad you have enjoyed it so far :) trying to catch up with photos now.

And yay! I hope you do get to go again.

Some pictures from our White Pass and Yukon Route train ride. Be careful with your phones; someone dropped his while taking pictures outside. Luckily, it was while we were stopped at the end of the route, so he got it back.

Also! Our train stopped for a bear on the tracks. We just got a glimpse of another bear sitting on top of the rocks above. No pictures, but keep your eyes open. Another group on the train saw a Marmot sitting on rocks by the river.a1a9a8d5c14b7658482dab4c21f808d2.jpga852d92192e008e0606f117fe7d403fc.jpgc40f814aa7a9cb932657f255e522d6db.jpgb7bec3702967d9da57f710396753d24c.jpgc7c43bea5b153b4a36b2d86cd930c58f.jpg966b9b20c516f89af05300b5295e4695.jpg

Edited by CatLadyFemme

And before we head into Victoria, a few images of Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier. These are all taken (as all the pictures have been) on my low fi camera phone, but hope you enjoy them.

We started off at 6am outside in the cold fog while they tried to decide which arm to go down...5e15bee6a808936a7045064af23c7704.jpg879dc7b7ac2aa1d0a0f4194821a31bb1.jpg3ce44bdd69567e6e343c7ab5e4876613.jpg6f1e9ed086f5843c6db2d87fdf59a30e.jpg8f6c26e721680448cdd2e1449f7143fd.jpg746fe8f3b5e7e0ae768c30abdfb7c21a.jpg