Best Port for Gold Panning?

Staci0615

Going on an NCL southbound end of August....want to do some gold panning- anyone have experience on best tour/port to book this? I prefer to book outside of NCL and have seen a few options on trip advisor but since this is my first trip and probably only trip to Alaska would like input from others on which would be the most fun.

These are all tourist operations where you get a pan and a salted poke with instructions. You will get a few flakes of gold. I like the gold dredge. I Like the gold dredge in Skagway.

We are panning for gold in Skagway in July! Looking to Strike It Rich! ;)

These are all tourist operations where you get a pan and a salted poke with instructions. You will get a few flakes of gold. I like the gold dredge. I Like the gold dredge in Skagway.

I didn't really like that place. They give you a black, opaque canister to put your gold in, similar to a film canister, and then try to sell you expensive jewelry to display your gold.

I preferred the gold mine tour in Juneau. They give you a little glass vial for your gold and no sales pressure. Interesting tour overall.

I wonder how many folks to visit the Skagway gold dredge and pan for gold there realize that gold was never found IN Skagway. While Skagway is closely associated with the 1898 Klondike gold rush, it was one of the entry ways into the Klondike. The only "mining" done there was by the merchants "mining" the naive stampeders.

I am thinking Juneau also as we only have a half day there....there were two options there Which was the one you did sherry?

We booked it through Princess and it was called Underground Mine & Gold Panning. It is at the Juneau Gastineau Mill. I was not able to find a way to book it independently.

I wonder how many folks to visit the Skagway gold dredge and pan for gold there realize that gold was never found IN Skagway. While Skagway is closely associated with the 1898 Klondike gold rush, it was one of the entry ways into the Klondike. The only "mining" done there was by the merchants "mining" the naive stampeders.

I would think most people are aware of this, as it is often mentioned on tours and by the park service. I found the rumor amusing that the guy who sold them the dredge made them take tons of Klondike “paydirt” as well, saying that if they were going to pan gold in Skagway, they were going to pan some Klondike gold. If you pan here you can actually find some Yukon dust in the pan along with the salted gold.

I would think most people are aware of this, as it is often mentioned on tours and by the park service. I found the rumor amusing that the guy who sold them the dredge made them take tons of Klondike “paydirt” as well, saying that if they were going to pan gold in Skagway, they were going to pan some Klondike gold. If you pan here you can actually find some Yukon dust in the pan along with the salted gold.

Given the fact that I live in Alaska and my educational background when I meet folks on cruises the conversation frequently turns to Alaska and particularly Alaskan history. Actually "wolfie11" you may be surprised at the number of folks I talk to who do not realize that gold was never actually discovered IN Skagway. And while the NPS has transformed a number of Skagway buildings in to mini-museums that doesn't mean that every visitor off the cruise ships actually visits those venues. While I understand that the tourist gold panning experiences are done with "salted" pay dirt I just find that gold panning operation in Skagway fake beyond credibility.

PS: The first time I visited Sitka I did so on business -- to attend a joint conference of the Alaska Historical Society and Museum Alaska. So don't get me started on the difficulties of exhibit design and signage.