From Galveston in June

redhot77

I know it is a year away(2019) but, tell me how risky is it to leave Galveston on June 1st for a 5 day? We usually cruise in early April or early December. We will purchase insurance.

extremely low risk of fog.....no better or worse a chance of a hurricane than FL, AL or somewhere else along the Gulf Coast

Statistically the chances are lower the earlier in the season it is (I’m assuming you are inquiring regarding Hurricanes) but with that being said it’s just the luck of the draw.

Just get insurance, and make sure it covers named storms and if so you need to make sure you cancel in the appropriate time frame allowed by the insurance for named storms. Read the fine print. I believe the insurance I just purchased said it allowed for named storms and a NHC or other authority issuing a warning for the port within 48 hrs or something along those lines. I’d have to go dig up all the paperwork I printed out from my policy but I do remember it being very specific.

I think you can also get cancel for any reason insurance (this is what I purchased) but even with that you have to cancel before you reach the 48 hrs mark.

Anyway shop around and read all the fine print for insurance to cover your needs and hope for the best!

Chances are low that early in June. I’ve lived here (near Galveston) my entire life and it is very rare to have something come along that early but not impossible as you can see by the recent subtropical Alberto that just occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've never had issues sailing from Galveston - end of January, April, May, June, July, August. I know that fog can be a problem, but we've not had to deal with that. Hurricanes wreaked havoc last year in Galveston, but that is not the norm.

I read a meteorologist article recently that the most "dangerous" period for the worst Hurricanes is about August 17-September 2. But just a note from Texas-we are heating up early this year with temperatures at or around 100 for the next 2 weeks which should boil the Gulf early. Early heat wave this year.

There is no greater risk for delay in June than any other month here.

We’ve had two late season storms in the past decade that impeded sailings. We also average ten cruises a year that are delayed at departure or return due to fog. That’s not bad considering we have 5 ships.

Appreciate that time is he start of the busy season for the island. If your staying overnight expect restaurants to be crowded, Seawall Blvd to be busy and hotels will be full.

Cruisers exit Harborside Drive and avoid the tourist areas. The freeway is almost done, traffic delays from Houston on the TXDOT website show a 10-15 min delay at peak times on weekends. You should be on the island by noon anyway. Lots to do!

Statistically the chances are lower the earlier in the season it is (I’m assuming you are inquiring regarding Hurricanes) but with that being said it’s just the luck of the draw.

Just get insurance, and make sure it covers named storms and if so you need to make sure you cancel in the appropriate time frame allowed by the insurance for named storms. Read the fine print. I believe the insurance I just purchased said it allowed for named storms and a NHC or other authority issuing a warning for the port within 48 hrs or something along those lines. I’d have to go dig up all the paperwork I printed out from my policy but I do remember it being very specific.

I think you can also get cancel for any reason insurance (this is what I purchased) but even with that you have to cancel before you reach the 48 hrs mark.

Anyway shop around and read all the fine print for insurance to cover your needs and hope for the best!

Chances are low that early in June. I’ve lived here (near Galveston) my entire life and it is very rare to have something come along that early but not impossible as you can see by the recent subtropical Alberto that just occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much, that is what I was looking for. Direct information.

Hurricanes wreaked havoc last year in Galveston, but that is not the norm.

From what I understand Galveston island rally didn't have much problems. It was getting to Galveston though Houston that was the problem. While it did get a lot a rain, it just ran into the gulf unlike in Houston were it flooded when the water ran out of places to go.

From what I understand Galveston island rally didn't have much problems. It was getting to Galveston though Houston that was the problem. While it did get a lot a rain, it just ran into the gulf unlike in Houston were it flooded when the water ran out of places to go.

Well, since the ship my friends were scheduled to sail out on didn't make it back into port as scheduled & their cruise was cancelled, I'd say that was a problem. Galveston was fortunate enough not to have the kind of damage it had years back, but hurricanes can wreak havoc with the cruise schedules even if the port itself is not damaged. There were plenty of people that had made the trip to Galveston for their cruise that ended up going nowhere. My friends didn't make the drive down & ended up going elsewhere to an all-inclusive last year. Carnival refunded their money, but they would have preferred being able to cruise. Weather does what it wants, though. Nothing we can do about it.