International Date Line - Crossing West Bound... Time Change

Von & John

We will be cruising Vancouver to Tokyo in September, on the Jewel. We are not sure how the ship handles the time change for the crossing of the International Date Line West Bound. If you are flying - you lose a day... What happens when you are sailing? If you have experienced this - can you let us know?

Also - does the ship host an International Dateline Party?

Thanks in Advance -- Von & John

We did the opposite direction in May. We gained a day. You'll lose a day. They didn't do any special party. We crossed the dateline on May 16th around noon. The day after was May 16th again.

Martin

The Captain will make an announcement on the PA, at night you will get a time change notice telling you what to set your clocks to.

That is the extent of it.

You understate the case! The Daily News Sheet was marked 'May 16th - Day 1' and May 16th - Day 2'... :D

You understate the case! The Daily News Sheet was marked 'May 16th - Day 1' and May 16th - Day 2'... :D

LOL True. I wonder how they ended up dealing with all the dinner reservation screw ups.....

Thanks for your responses. I have a couple of questions/concerns for the Westbound:

• Dinner Reservations - the Jewel has all dates listed - including the day we should be skipping
  • Pre-Paid Gratuities - NCL wants to charge for the day we are skipping
  • UBP - Perk - NCL did charge gratuity for the day which will be skipped

I was trying to understand if I was missing something -- but haven't been able to define how they calculate the # of nights yet. I believe we'll just have to wait until we are on the Jewel & it happens.

The good news is we'll be on an amazing cruise!

Cheers -- Von

We have done both directions on the Jewel in the last 12 months. From Honolulu to Sydney there was no November 1st. It was a bit of a mess as it was supposed to miss October 31st and there was no visit to Apia, Samoa, and the itinerary change caused some consternation. Work on a Day # rather than the Date.

In the other direction it worked out quite well so long as you didn't try to book Specialty Meals before boarding!! We just had May 15th, May 16th, May 16th then May 17th. Go with the flow when on board, it will all work out especially if all the days we had were sea days.

I don't know how people who charged the DSC every day got on but we paid in advance and were charged the "right" number of days.

Thanks Mike --

I'm anticipating it should all work correctly in the end - we'll just have to wait & see :cool:

Speaking of waiting & seeing -- can't wait!!! Although I don't want to wish our gorgeous summer away...

;p

Thanks for your responses. I have a couple of questions/concerns for the Westbound:

• Dinner Reservations - the Jewel has all dates listed - including the day we should be skipping
  • Pre-Paid Gratuities - NCL wants to charge for the day we are skipping
  • UBP - Perk - NCL did charge gratuity for the day which will be skipped

I was trying to understand if I was missing something -- but haven't been able to define how they calculate the # of nights yet. I believe we'll just have to wait until we are on the Jewel & it happens.

The good news is we'll be on an amazing cruise!

Cheers -- Von

You think you're losing out? We had about 5 x 23 hours days in succession ... 5 hours of my life snuffed out whilst I was sleeping (for an hour less, as well ...). Actually, I lost much more than the hour each night, because I lay awake worrying about the impact and how NCL would react to my request for compensation, and whether cruising was really worth all the hassle and the money I had paid for the cruise ... :D But I realised that matters were not so dire after all because we had 2 x 16th May and we were only charged for one (subject, of course, to my checking my next credit card statement ...)

;p

You think you're losing out? We had about 5 x 23 hours days in succession ... 5 hours of my life snuffed out whilst I was sleeping (for an hour less, as well ...). Actually, I lost much more than the hour each night, because I lay awake worrying about the impact and how NCL would react to my request for compensation, and whether cruising was really worth all the hassle and the money I had paid for the cruise ... :D But I realised that matters were not so dire after all because we had 2 x 16th May and we were only charged for one (subject, of course, to my checking my next credit card statement ...)

Only got hit for one here. The funniest part to me was the spa, they would not book anything after the 15th and they tried to explain that they were going to be changing staff and that was why. So, changing staff in the middle of the ocean? The eventually started hand writing in appointments for people.