Book as Grand Voyage or B2B? Strategizing...

shepp

OK, old-timers. I recently booked a 19-day Japanese Grand Voyage as 2 B2B cruises instead, as Princess didn't offer Obstructed OVs on the long single cruise, but the cabin I wanted was available on the two shorter components. The single booking would have been, taking into account OBCs, Loyalty credits, Elite bar, and other perks, essentially the same price.

I later found out I could have had my TA ask Princess to recategorize that cabin so I could have booked it as the 19-day. So should I? Do we think the possibility of downward refaring, upsells, comp upgrades, and move-over offers would be greater with the 19-day or the 8-and-11 booking? (I'd be OK with changing cabins half-way or even dropping one of the legs if the move-over offer was good enough.)

Or am I just overthinking the whole thing, and should just be glad I got the cabin I wanted?

We got our "move down" offer on one leg of a similar cruise--11 day + 9 day in Japan, booked as 2 cruises. We booked separately because we couldn't get the same cabin on a single long booking,,,so took what we really wanted on one leg and took what we could get on the other with a request to upgrade if possible. We got the offer to move from our balcony to an inside cabin on one of the legs in exchange for that leg being totally free plus everything we'd paid was applied as refundable OBC which could be used on either leg (combined folio). This was a rather expensive cruise...and after doing all the excursions we wanted, buying internet, etc. I still got a check for $4K about 3 weeks after we returned.

I can't address whether it would have happened had we booked it as a single booking, but it was certainly a good deal for us.