Partial Panama Canal questions

I have done this trip a few times, but always with Holland America. Will be doing again, except this time on the Fantasy in September.

On Holland, on the morning you go through the canal & locks, they serve orange flavored "Panama Buns" so you can eat something while going through the locks. They also have coffee on viewing decks. There is also a narrator over the PA system explaining the process. They do let everyone know that if they plan on sleeping in, they may hear the narrator, as they announce so people in balconies can hear. I do know the Fantasy has very limited, if any balconies.

My questions are, does Carnival have the narrators, and do they serve the WONDERFUL "Panama Canal buns"?

Did partial transit in April, had there was narrator. I don't recall any announcement made, but not necessary as narration was not heard in rooms.

No buns, but plenty of food available on lido to take and eat. Brunch also served in MDR which, seating at the aft windows that provided great views of the canal. Plenty then to eat so not sure why I would want or need "buns".

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

We were also on the April cruise. Yes there was a narrator, you could hear her outside on the balcony. It was also broadcast on the tv in the room so you could see what was going on in the front of the ship if you wanted to stay on your balcony. We just had breakfast on lido and went back to the room to watch. I didn't see any special kind of buns.

To those that don’t understand what the OP is referring to, the Panama buns are served right on the decks. My guess is to make it convenient to have something to eat while on deck so that you don’t have to go to the buffet and miss seeing the ship go through the locks. It’s a convenience thing.

To the OP: on Carnival you can preorder breakfast the night before by filling out an order card and hanging it on your doorknob. You fill in what time you want it delivered. You could always put in an early time and then when the food is delivered, take it up to the deck with you. Will save you from having to wait in the lido buffet lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The were just a special treat. Kind of like a light sweet yeast roll with orange marmalade in the middle, and an orange. Servers walked around the decks with napkins and warm buns. They even placed trash receptacles for the napkins. Guess it's a HAL thing.