Majesty out of Tampa

Travel2?

We will be leaving out of Tampa in August on Majesty of the Seas. This will be the first time cruising out of the Tampa port. We're considering valet parking; as much as we hate our vacation ending, we'll need to hit the road shortly after returning!

We will be leaving out of Tampa in August on Majesty of the Seas. This will be the first time cruising out of the Tampa port. We're considering valet parking; as much as we hate our vacation ending, we'll need to hit the road shortly after returning!

The parking terminal is directly across the street from the cruise ship dock and is very easy to access. You will be able to leave quickly either on your own or with valet parking. The best thing to speed up your departure is being able to exit the ship carrying off all your luggage with you. You will have priority in departing the ship.

Thanks Jim! We have an overnight in Havana and plan to explore on our own when we dock. We want to hit the market then Calle Obispo in the evening. Is El Morro worth a visit? Any insight on the Majesty is appreciated; "White Night", best place for an evening nightcap?

I was on Empress to Cuba last year, but we were three only for 1 day and left at 4:00 PM. So no opinion on night-life in Havana. If you've been to other Spanish Forts (San Juan, etc...) El Morro is just another fort. Our RC tour took us to the fort where we shopped for cigars and rum, but weren't allowed into the heart of the fort to explore.

Thanks Jim! We have an overnight in Havana and plan to explore on our own when we dock. We want to hit the market then Calle Obispo in the evening. Is El Morro worth a visit? Any insight on the Majesty is appreciated; "White Night", best place for an evening nightcap?

We were in Majesty a few weeks back.

‘White night’. It was advertised but really just a few people wandering around looking for people in white.

Honestly about time they dropped this. No one really participated.

Evening nightcap. We used to love sitting in be library area with a bottle of port and a few glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We love the valet parking at Tampa .You pull up they take your bags and your car . When you get off the valet stand is right outside and they pull up your car and load your luggage . You can then exit without the madness of crowds of people .I was just on the Majesty . You can not use support of Cuban people . You have to check either Royal Caribbean tour or private tour .

Thank you all for the continued responses! It looks like we'll enjoy that last bit of pampering and go with the valet parking! We have booked a walking tour with RC for Day 2 but any recommendations for activities on the day we dock are welcome as well as insight on sailing on Majesty. We have steered away in the past from the large cruise ships but Majesty will be the smallest we've sailed on.

The best thing to see in Tampa is Ybor city which is a Cuban settlement that has tons of restaurants and shops It is very close to the port .Majesty was fine but the rooms are tiny .Lots of activities in both the Schooner Bar and Bolero's . The staff were all friendly and very helpful . Food was hit or miss .We loved Cuba . We took a private tour with Fer tours and got to visit all my most see sights .The old cars are everywhere . It is like the best car show ever..

Our first day in we made our was ashore as soon as possible.

Customs, visa and changed money. Then headed into old Havana.

There is a beautiful restaurant just across the square to the right. We stopped there. It was raining.

So spent and hour or so drinking coffee and various brands of rum.

My favorite was Havana club maestro.

$2.50 for probably a quadruple measure!

Then we headed to a local cigar store upstairs in a hotel.

What an experience, more coffee, rum and about $1000 worth of cigars.

Headed back to the ship to change and have an early dinner.

After dinner headed to El Floridita bar for drinks and to meet our student hosts from Strawberry tours for a bar crawl.

4 bars later, dancing, live music and food we crashed and burned. Headed back to the ship about 11:30.

Last stop was a nightclub but we couldn’t make it. Late 50’s and well past it.

Have fun. Don’t waste your day.

The restaurant we visited.

dd777ef59f0c6c8aa015dd64de6e0373.png

Hotel where we went cigar shopping

34b18c2c258619e90d39d55983bec4f8.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk400ef355740f0e0e2c5048f4af17a286.png

Edited by Magnetchief

So glad to read all the responses! It seems my planning is on the right track; we're spending three nights in Tampa and have reservations at the Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City. Our son wants to hit Cigar City Brewery as well!

As for Havana, can't wait to head off the ship and explore; we to have "booked" the bar hop with Strawberry Tours!

Fifty dessert choices!! Geez...

Foodies, keep the recommendations coming for both Tampa and Havana!

Also suggestions on where to find souvenirs from Havana; we like to collect small paintings/artwork, unique jewelery, rum (Havana Club noted), cigars as requested by friends and a small humidor; luckily we're driving....no worries checking luggage!

We love the valet parking at Tampa .You pull up they take your bags and your car . When you get off the valet stand is right outside and they pull up your car and load your luggage . You can then exit without the madness of crowds of people .I was just on the Majesty . You can not use support of Cuban people . You have to check either Royal Caribbean tour or private tour .

Who exactly is saying you can not use support of the Cuban people? If the check-in staff is requiring p2p, does anyone question this? I believe it is up to each individual, not the cruise ship or hired check-in staff to make the determination of which OFAC item to check.

Fifty dessert choices!! Geez...

Also suggestions on where to find souvenirs from Havana; we like to collect small paintings/artwork, unique jewelery, rum (Havana Club noted),

As you exit the terminal in Havana, walk along the water the the left. After about a mile there is a very large artisan's market for all your soovie needs, including original art..

As you are walking, take a look across the street for your stops on the way back; you'll see the Havana Club rum museum and shop to pick up your rums, as well as a wonderful smaller streetfront bar for truly authentic mojitos. Not sure of the name, but they have a red and white awning.

It's across the side street from a bigger bar/restaurant called Dos Hermanos. I did not stop at Dos Hermanos (prefer small and funky), but it does get good reviews.

Please report back on the Strawberry Tours bar hop. I am looking at that for my return trip in December. I prefer to take the night time tour with Havana Tour Company (used them before), but I am traveling alone this time, and they want a minimum of 2 participants. Dead roll call, so no help there. .

Who exactly is saying you can not use support of the Cuban people? If the check-in staff is requiring p2p, does anyone question this? I believe it is up to each individual, not the cruise ship or hired check-in staff to make the determination of which OFAC item to check.

The check in clerk told us what section to check.

Non RCI tour.

Really it’s if no consequence.

Except when they make you fill the forms out again because you have checked the wrong section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will not allow you to board until you change your afadavit to state either RCL excursion or private all day excursion . We had checked Support of Cuban people and we had to redo it before they would let us board .

So glad to read all the responses! It seems my planning is on the right track; we're spending three nights in Tampa and have reservations at the Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City. Our son wants to hit Cigar City Brewery as well!

As for Havana, can't wait to head off the ship and explore; we to have "booked" the bar hop with Strawberry Tours!

My brother and SIL had their wedding reception at the Columbia Restaurant. Outstanding food. We will be flying in a day before our cruise in March and plan to eat there for dinner.

The funny thing about this is it really doesn't matter. I just came back from Cuba this week (Majesty) and everyone we traveled with used support of the Cuban people and when we checked in at the port. I had to complete a new form and check off # 2 on the Royal Caribbean form (which is not correct), my son and daughter-in-law were told by the terminal person that support of the Cuban people is wrong and she checked number 2 for them (their form then had # 2 and #4 checked) and friends of ours also checked number 4 (support of the Cuban people) but their agent didn't say a word about it and let them on the ship. So it seems it has to do with the agent at the port, but don't stress just let them complete the form as they think it needs to be completed.

Madelyn

Travel2, When you are at the Columbia, you are are a short distance from Coppertail Brewery for another beer option. If you make it to Bern's, then stop by Ciro's Speakeasy and have a cocktail (just down the street from Bern's. Call for the day's password - it is set up like an old speakeasy.)

Ulele is on the Riverfront in Tampa and is a true favorite of mine and many others - likely need a reservation just due to its popularity (coincidentally owned by the same family as the Columbia). Don't know where you are staying but check out the Tampa Streetcar (all fares were just eliminated for the next 3 years). Good way to get between downtown/Riverfront to Ybor and Channelside/cruise port area. If you get off at the Convention Center stop, you can walk across the bridge (over the Hillsborough River) and stop at Jackson's Bistro or American Social for some great dining, outdoor seating and great views.

The funny thing about this is it really doesn't matter. I just came back from Cuba this week (Majesty) and everyone we traveled with used support of the Cuban people and when we checked in at the port. I had to complete a new form and check off # 2 on the Royal Caribbean form (which is not correct), my son and daughter-in-law were told by the terminal person that support of the Cuban people is wrong and she checked number 2 for them (their form then had # 2 and #4 checked) and friends of ours also checked number 4 (support of the Cuban people) but their agent didn't say a word about it and let them on the ship. So it seems it has to do with the agent at the port, but don't stress just let them complete the form as they think it needs to be completed.

Madelyn

Yea, I know. But it just pushes my buttons. Now that I know they are not even consistently wrong across the board, It pushes those buttons harder. We will just have to see and then get on board to start enjoying the cruise.