Does having a balcony improve your Wi-Fi connection? Best Wi-Fi spot on ships?

LongHill44

I'm pretty sure I recall seeing the wifi routers in the hallways, so the balconies would have worse reception. The bathrooms probably would be best, within staterooms.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

There are wifi access points along each hallway... typically, about every 100 feet or so. Most of them are somewhat hidden, but you can see them if you know what you are looking for. On every ship I've been on so far, they have all been Cisco 3502I or similar models... which have excellent performance. I use those almost exclusively in my work.

As previously stated there are access points (those little white boxes on the ceiling with antenna's) ((sometimes, you only see antenna's, the white box may be above the drop ceiling)) along the hallways.

The further away from those access points, the weaker the signal.

Therefore, the balcony and the fore and aft cabins would most likely have the weakest signals.

Depends on the cabin. I have been in some that have full strength in the room but go in the bathroom and nothing. The steel box construction of a ship doesn't really make WIFI signal strong and reliable. Balcony is almost always nothing. Lido and public areas I find are best.

Internet on a ship is never fast anyway, can take a while to download simple test emails. Even on RC with their supposed fastest on the seas internet it is still horrible.

What part of the ships tend to have the best connection for Wi-Fi?

Thank you in advance

You can have5 bars of wifi and no internet. I think some people confuse wifi signal with internet speed. I never received more than 2Mb of internet speed on whatsmyspeed.com, 1/2 of 3G speed.

We had better internet on the Lido deck and heavily trafficked areas like the bars and restaurant areas. Maybe they put more WiFi routers in the areas where more cruisers tend to congregate. Our cabin and balcony had poor reception. The best reception we got overall on our last cruise was in the serenity area. The Vista class is supposed to have a new WiFi system that’s supposed to be really really good. John Heald did live-stream videos from her with it. I’ll be trying it out in our Vista cruise in September. I’ll definitely do a review of it. ;)

We had better internet on the Lido deck and heavily trafficked areas like the bars and restaurant areas. Maybe they put more WiFi routers in the areas where more cruisers tend to congregate. Our cabin and balcony had poor reception. The best reception we got overall on our last cruise was in the serenity area. The Vista class is supposed to have a new WiFi system that’s supposed to be really really good. John Heald did live-stream videos from her with it. I’ll be trying it out in our Vista cruise in September. I’ll definitely do a review of it. ;)

I hope you’re right but I’m sure John was on a completely different network than what is available to the general public.