Everglades Airboat Tour w/ Disability (cane)?

mackjack9139

Hello! Can anyone tell me if the Everglades Airboat Tour out of Port Lauderdale is ok for someone with a bad knee who uses a cane, and also for an average 80 year old (could walk probably 1/2 mile comfortably)? The family can help them get in/out of a boat (they get in and out my pontoon boat at home) but I wonder if it is a long walk from the bus to where you board the boats or see the alligator demonstration? I tried calling X and they were not very helpful so I appreciate any personal experience. Thank you!

We did not do the Celebrity tour but did do an air boat ride on a tour and passed many air boat tour companies. The walk was quite a bit less than 1/2 mile over level ground. Should be fine for your family member.

It was an all day tour and the company we did the air boat ride with was at least an hour from Ft Lauderdale so expect a lot of travel time.

We did the Everglades tour thru Celebrity. I was in a walking boot & using a cane. I didn’t have any difficulty. The boat captain ensured that two of her land crew physically helped me in & out of the air boat. I could’ve done it by myself as it not a large lip to step over. I felt very secure & it was a great tour. The alligator enclosure is about 600-800 yards from where you get off the boat. Watch for alligators as not all are part of the show! Great tour

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello! Can anyone tell me if the Everglades Airboat Tour out of Port Lauderdale is ok for someone with a bad knee who uses a cane, and also for an average 80 year old (could walk probably 1/2 mile comfortably)? The family can help them get in/out of a boat (they get in and out my pontoon boat at home) but I wonder if it is a long walk from the bus to where you board the boats or see the alligator demonstration? I tried calling X and they were not very helpful so I appreciate any personal experience. Thank you!

Should not be a problem. It’s only a short walk , easily less than 50 yards, from the parking lot to the boats. You should be fine. Strap them in the airboat though. It’s pretty high speed and bouncy ride. You don’t want them falling over the side. ;). Last time I took the tour, there were lots of gators near the boat. Keep hands inside boat, you don’t want to be a snack for the gators.

Enjoy. It’s a fun and educational ride. (y)(y)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

As a resident of the Fort Lauderdale area, I strongly suspect--but do not know for certain--that following is the website for the swamp safari facility that Celebrity's tour operator will use in the area... It is--by far--the largest and best known in the area...

http://www.billieswamp.com/

I've done it four or five times with friends/relatives visiting Southeast Florida and--to a person--they've always thoroughly enjoyed it...

Their website FAQ does not address physical considerations for participation [beyond pregnancy for the buggy ride]--and I am not particularly aware of any--but, if so inclined, you might want give them a call to confirm...

Enjoy!

We did this excursion in March and I have difficulty walking. It was a little difficult getting on and off the airboat but there were plenty of big guys there to help. Once on board you sit the whole time and you don't need seatbelts (we did on one in the NP) nor do you get wet. If they can get in and out of a pontoon, they should be able to handle it with assistance. The walk down to the boat is a little steep but there are handrails. As for the walk from the bus to the demonstration it's uneven in most areas, hardpacked dirt, but I did it and there were benches in several spots. If it's very hot the walk could be a bit uncomfortable because there's not much shade. All in all it was a fun excursion....not great but fairly good.