Cabin category CA (Lanai stateroom on Amsterdam)

LynnTTT

Just off the phone with HA and have reserved this type cabin for the worldwide cruise in 2020 (get off the floor honey, haven't put down a penny yet ;-) ).

This would be on the lower Promenade deck. Looks like your door opens right onto that walking deck. I understand there may be a lack of privacy, but I'm more concerned about noise. People walking past late at night, crew setting up deck chairs, etc.

Also a little concerned there may be noise from the Promenade deck above, as it has lots of activities- I usually try to book a cabin with 100% cabin floors both above and below.

Has anyone ever stayed in this type cabin, on any HA ship?

We have had a Lanai 3 times on Maasdam and once on Rotterdam. Noise was never a factor at night, daytime was a different story. Would I do it for a world cruise?, nope. I always felt “cramped” in a Lanai. An ocean view feels like I have more space, IMHO. And if I wanted to nap or need some quite time during the day, sometimes the promenade deck is quite busy and would not be as peaceful as an OV.

On the other hand, being able to have the promenade deck at night all to yourself (mostly) is pretty cool, many a night I enjoyed hanging out.

Oh yeah, curtains closed at night, unless you don’t mind people looking in. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had a Lanai cabin on the Rotterdam in March, 2018. We were in 3376, which was directly below the dish washing section of the MDR. We did hear occasional vibration from above in the early hours of the mornings, but not enough to bother us. There are two lounge chairs right outside your lanai cabin door, and they are specified for use by this cabin only. Some passengers pay no attention to the posted signs, but they will move if you point our the sign near your door. Do not concern yourself about privacy. Even with all cabin lights on, I went outside at night and tried to peek through the reflective coating on the sliding glass doors. All you can see are the faint glows of the ceiling lights. It is impossible to see anything through those doors, even at night. However, you still will need to close your drapes for sleeping. The lower promenade deck is well lighted through the night, and you can see that inside the cabin.

I've been in a CA on the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam. In fact same cabin as TAD2005 on the Rotterdam. Amsterdam is better as far as the noise problem because of the CA locations. Amsterdam has fewer CA's and they are located only from midship forward, not under galley. Presently I have a CA booked for 2020 World Cruise so at least I, for one, think a CA is O.K.

Jim, AD5ZA

The Lanai cabins on the Rotterdam (never had one on the Amsterdam) are very nice and the huge promenade deck right outside is great. The sliding glass door has a magnetic lock. You press a button from the inside to release the magnet to open the door. From the outside, HAL provides a RFID Proximity card that you pass over the prox reader, and that also releases the magnetic lock. Very convenient for early morning promenade walks. There are many walkers (no jogging allowed), but no one can see in your door. They are great cabins, but only for 2 people. A long cruise with 3 adult-sized people in there would be tight.

The one thing that could be improved is losing those small (18") flat-screen TV's above the desk and the DVD player, and installing the 48" flat-screen TV's they have installed on the Vista class and larger ships. That TV over the desk is way too small to be seen by people in the bed.

Just be aware that scheduled maintenance on the lifeboats and the promenade deck may occur outside your cabin during your cruise.

We had people on our Rotterdam cruise that had hissy fits because scraping and painting of the lifeboats were occurring.

When I asked one woman when she wanted required maintenance to be done, she replied, "When I am not cruising." :rolleyes:

Just be aware that scheduled maintenance on the lifeboats and the promenade deck may occur outside your cabin during your cruise.

We had people on our Rotterdam cruise that had hissy fits because scraping and painting of the lifeboats were occurring.

When I asked one woman when she wanted required maintenance to be done, she replied, "When I am not cruising." :rolleyes:

I was in a lanai several times and while the noise wasn't an issue, scraping and painting of the railings was. The smell was overwhelming and seeped into the cabin.

I was in a lanai several times and while the noise wasn't an issue, scraping and painting of the railings was. The smell was overwhelming and seeped into the cabin.

Scheduled maintenance will be done on every cruise.

It is a part of cruising.

I was on that infamous March 11 R/T cruise from Tampa. And yes, I was one of those who threw a "hissy-fit". The maintenance that was being done was far more than what could be considered "scheduled maintenance". They were using metal grinding wheels and cutting torches to remove and replace sections of the lifeboat davits on deck 4, immediately above my cabin, Lanai 3376. This was not "scraping and painting". I went up and actually saw what they were doing. They were cutting our rusted sections of the lifeboat davits and welding new pieces in place. The entire ceiling of deck 3 was vibrating with the cutting of the steel. We walked the promenade deck and this work was being done on both sides of the ship. It even could be heard loudly on the Lido deck. The noise went on for days, and it was so loud that we could not carry on a conversation in our cabin without shouting into each other's ears. Forget watching TV, impossible. We were onshore at one port, (St. Lucia) and we were at least 1/4 mile from the ship and could still hear the unbelievable metal grinding. One of the Guest Services persons told us that they had no control over the noise, it was work that Marine Operations (The Captain) wanted to complete before the ship headed back to Europe on April 15. It was work that couldn't be completed during the dry-dock. I think that the level of that noise went FAR above what would be considered "scheduled maintenance". Obviously Guest Services agreed with me, because they gave us a sizable cabin credit in compensation for the loss of use of our cabin for 3 days.

I filed a full, detailed cruise review on CC. If you want more info, check it out.

Edited by TAD2005

I was on the same cruise.

One deck under your deck.

Unless I was on the promenade, I wasn't aware of the work being done.

We walked around the port area of St. Lucia. Again, we only faintly heard the noise as we reboarded the ship.

On the other hand, on our deck, there was rewiring being done in the forward elevator lobby area. All the ceiling panels were down.

A new cable was also run from the lobby down our hallway and into the electrical box outside our cabin.

Maintenance does happen on board ship.

I was on the same cruise.

One deck under your deck.

Unless I was on the promenade, I wasn't aware of the work being done.

We walked around the port area of St. Lucia. Again, we only faintly heard the noise as we reboarded the ship.

On the other hand, on our deck, there was rewiring being done in the forward elevator lobby area. All the ceiling panels were down.

A new cable was also run from the lobby down our hallway and into the electrical box outside our cabin.

Maintenance does happen on board ship.

I agree that maintenance does happen onboard. It is necessary to keep the ship in top shape. But maintenance that renders a whole section of a deck of cabins unusable for 3 days is far above the routine scraping and painting. When the noise of the steel ceiling vibrating with the metal grinding is so loud that you cannot hear your spouse speak 3 feet away, inside the cabin, and it continues for 8 hours a day, I think that is a good bit above "routine maintenance". Obviously, your deck 2 ceiling was not vibrating with the grinding noise that was happening immediately above our Lanai cabin door.

We disembarked the ship in Tampa, and while sitting, waiting for our ride home, the steel grinding noise continued and we could hear it on the other side of the terminal, at the street.

We are 4-star Mariners, and love HAL cruises and ships. We could be called "HAL Cheerleaders". But we will not make excuses for the noise we had to endure for 3 days and call it "routine maintenance". If I booked passage on a freighter, I would expect and accept that level of maintenance. Not on a passenger cruise ship.

Edited by TAD2005

• 2 weeks later...