Wrist bands

rob6465

I think the conspiracy theorists think there are RFID readers all over the ship silently tracking your every movement.

LOL, you might be right, but why would they invest 10's of millions and be so close that they do not have that flexibility to the information. I can tell you Disney DOES have it.

Not sure how I feel about a wristband - it's bad enough when I get that wristwatch tan line. As far as "them" knowing where I go on the ship, I don't see how that's a big deal. I mean, I'm cruising, it's no secret that I'm somewhere on the ship. If I'm spending money, Carnival already knows where I am. I think if it could help with where to send extra staff, that would be great. It might also be helpful for stewards to know for sure if your cabin is empty so they can clean.

LOL, you might be right, but why would they invest 10's of millions and be so close that they do not have that flexibility to the information. I can tell you Disney DOES have it.

What is your source? I have a family member who is a director-level IT-type for the mouse who disagrees with you that they use any passive RFID tracking of magic bands.

What is your source? I have a family member who is a director-level IT-type for the mouse who disagrees with you that they use any passive RFID tracking of magic bands.

LOL....my source? Am I on trial? I was at an IT conference and it at a presentation where they described what they did. Cannot really say whether or was passive or active, but his point was clear. Maybe I misunderstood your honor....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not all RFID is short range, it is commonly used on toll roads here in the U.S.

Yes, however, those transponders are much larger than wrist band size. The wrist bands are likely passive and must be right on the reader. Having a 3 foot range would render the technology useless as there would be several people within 3 feet of the reader at any given time triggering it. The credit card technology is very short range - like 1".

This is definitely not big brother.

Yes, however, those transponders are much larger than wrist band size. The wrist bands are likely passive and must be right on the reader. Having a 3 foot range would render the technology useless as there would be several people within 3 feet of the reader at any given time triggering it. The credit card technology is very short range - like 1".

Ocean Medallion doesn’t require tapping anything to unlock your door. Your door simply unlocks as you approach it because it uses an active and short range radio instead of passive.

In what way do these wristbands benefit Carnival? I can't see them spending millions just so that Joe or Jane Cruiser doesn't have to worry about losing a card, or doesn't have to - Heaven forbid - reach into their pocket or purse, retrieve a card, and insert it into a slot to open their cabin door. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see any merit, unless it is benefiting the one paying the bill for them.:confused:

LOL....my source? Am I on trial? I was at an IT conference and it at a presentation where they described what they did. Cannot really say whether or was passive or active, but his point was clear. Maybe I misunderstood your honor....

Well for many people here their source is "I heard it from a friend on Facebook" and the speak it like it's gospel. Either way, I couldn't care less what you heard at your conference - the RFID tags in Magic Bands are not powerful enough to be read more than MAYBE about two feet away, so no, your every move is not being tracked.

That said, Disney DOES collect every tap of your magic band and study your movements, and they also use facial recognition algorithms in crowds, too. But no, your magic band is not tracking you. Sorry you were misled, but Armchair QB is right.

Exactly right!! This is why on RCCL the bartenders usually had to bring your wristband over to the reader to record a drink purchase. I think eventually the bartenders will have portable readers so this isn't necessary (like when you are entering a show)….

Well for many people here their source is "I heard it from a friend on Facebook" and the speak it like it's gospel. Either way, I couldn't care less what you heard at your conference - the RFID tags in Magic Bands are not powerful enough to be read more than MAYBE about two feet away, so no, your every move is not being tracked.

That said, Disney DOES collect every tap of your magic band and study your movements, and they also use facial recognition algorithms in crowds, too. But no, your magic band is not tracking you. Sorry you were misled, but Armchair QB is right.

SO I guess you are right...... you said so. Nice post friendly and all.