Taking Questions -- Cruise Critic Special Coverage of Hurricane Anniversary

Brittany C

Would love updates on Emerald Beach, Sapphire Beach, Orient Beach and Water Island. To include food/drink availability, restroom facilities, chair/umbrella availability and actual beach conditions. Would also love to know about the French side of St Martin - in the marina are the bakeries up and running, are the vendors back? How long does it take to get back and forth between French and Dutch side and what time did you go? TYIA!!!

Hi there!

The beaches are good, but concessions are few to none. The shoreline on Sunset has been drastically reduced; replaced by rocks, but work is being done to remove them shortly. Time to move between is typical; depends where you are coming from -- the port to the French side is about 15 to 20 minutes. Traffic will depend on how many ships are in port. Zee Best has reopened in town. Unfortunately, many smaller bakeries remain closed. For more on beaches check out our roundup of St. Thomas and St. John: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1636

Bikini Beach in Orient Bay is back and looking great. Water Island is open to visitors and shore ex.

Thank you for your interest. Our stories will be up in a few weeks as part of our ongoing coverage, and will culminate with so photos and video in late August/September to commemorate the one-year mark of Irma and Maria.

Happy Cruising!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Cruise Critic Editor

Hope someone tells about their recent visits!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will post my full report here once it's live on the site! It's a different island, but plenty of plans for the future, and lots to enjoy for a day in port.

Hello, I also loves to hear any updates on Dawn Beach in St. Marteen. Thanks

Hello,

I wasn't able to visit Dawn Beach specifically during my time, but most beaches are open to visitors -- they just might have limited concessions meaning bring your own food and drinks in just in case. Oyster Bay Beach Resort (nearby) has reopened and is a lovely spot for some lunch and their killer infinity pool.

Happy Cruising!

Hi,

I would love to hear any updates of the Grand Case area restaurants, beach and Le Petit Hotel. We have pre-cruise plans to stay in this area December 2018.

Thank you!

Hello!

Grand Case was hit very hard, but businesses, beaches and restaurants are already reopening. I know a lot of hotels are aiming to be open by the end of the year, but I would contact Le Petit Hotel to make sure it will be open by the time you arrive (I can't confirm if it is open.)

Have a great time!

A report on St. John, USVI, on your St. Thomas stop would be appreciated.

When we were there in January, it was still in bad shape.

The national park has a lot of recovering to do, but Cruz Bay is open with plenty of shops and restaurants. Trunk Bay is open with a waived fee, for now -- rentals and bathrooms no food or drink stands at this time. A few trails have reopened in Virgin Islands National Park, but that is going to improve with time. A more thorough report is coming. Stay tuned!

How's the SXM traffic to/from the Port, as there has been mixed messages regarding congestion caused by road workings?

I can't speak to what traffic is like on a regular basis in St. Maarten, but it didn't seem impeded by roadwork during my time there. On busy ship days traffic is a factor, but there are plenty of pedestrian and water taxi routes to also utilize upon leaving the cruise terminal.

Brittany, when we were in St. Maarten this past April, we had scheduled a tour that took us to Orient Beach and Maho Beach. When we boarded the tour bus, the driver told us that the French government would not allow them to take us to Orient Beach because of the hurricane debris. Is this still true? We absolutely love OB and that's the main reason that we chose this cruise and this tour. Do they expect recovery to start soon and allow tourists to visit OB? If not, is there any indication as to when they will?

Brittany, when we were in St. Maarten this past April, we had scheduled a tour that took us to Orient Beach and Maho Beach. When we boarded the tour bus, the driver told us that the French government would not allow them to take us to Orient Beach because of the hurricane debris. Is this still true? We absolutely love OB and that's the main reason that we chose this cruise and this tour. Do they expect recovery to start soon and allow tourists to visit OB? If not, is there any indication as to when they will?

Hello!

There is not as much debris now, but because of the lack of concessions (bathrooms, snack bars) in some areas, some tour operators have decided to reroute for the time being for a better experience. When we were there in July, Bikini Beach, on Orient Bay, was just opening and looked great -- not sure if cruise tours are including this stop. If anything, it is possible to take a cab there on your own. Maho Beach is open as is the Sunset Bar & Grill.

Enjoy!