Young Children with Sensory Processing Issues...

Hi There!

We will be cruising on the Paradise in September with our son (5) and our daughter (3). Our son has some moderate sensory issues, and I'm just now starting to think of the muster drill.

Can anyone tell me what it's like, especially for a child very sensitive to loud sounds/sirens? Is there anything you could recommend that we can do to prepare him for the drill? I thought about maybe getting him some noise-canceling headphones to wear, but I realize that if it were a real scenario, those would not be so readily available and he should be familiar with the sound.

Just not really sure what to expect from him or the drill. Any advice would be very welcomed. Thank you!

the best thing to do is check in for the muster and tell the crew member if there is an area for the special needs people. this way you can avoid the crowds and can sit down during the drill. depending on the ship, you have to stand in a very crowded area but the special needs area is usually in a lounge area

the best thing to do is check in for the muster and tell the crew member if there is an area for the special needs people. this way you can avoid the crowds and can sit down during the drill. depending on the ship, you have to stand in a very crowded area but the special needs area is usually in a lounge area

Brilliant advice! Thank you. I didn't even realize this was something that could be done. I just assumed we went wherever based on our stateroom assignment.

Our son is on the spectrum and 15 now. We have cruised since he was 6 and have used noise canceling headphones and still do. Now he knows the procedure but our thought when he was younger is he would always be with one of us anyway. He was not a fan of camp carnival when younger. Do check with special needs dept as mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a now 16 year old autistic son and always call the special needs department. They sometimes even meet us at home port before boarding and walk us on and give my son a private muster... carnival is awesome and will make sure your son is comfortable!!!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a now 16 year old autistic son and always call the special needs department. They sometimes even meet us at home port before boarding and walk us on and give my son a private muster... carnival is awesome and will make sure your son is comfortable!!!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much for sharing that! I’m so glad to hear they are accommodating!

I don’t know about carnival but we went on a Royal Caribbean cruise with my autistic granddaughter. We contacted special needs department ahead of time and they arranged for her to just stay in the cabin during the Muster drill with her mother ( my daughter-in-law )

We just sailed with our grandson who is on the spectrum and has sensory issues also. I contacted the Special Needs Dept who told me to check with Guest Services when I boarded, which we did. They were wonderful!!

Once we checked in, we were told to come back to Guest Services at 230 at which time they would give us a private Safety Drill. They took us to our muster station and went over the drill with us. Once finished, my husband and grand daughter went back to guest services and got wristbands while I and our grandson went to our cabin. Once muster started, we just stayed in our cabin and unpacked. We were checked on and when I explained why we were still there, all was good.

I could not have asked for a better beginning to our cruise!!!

We had a very similar experience several years ago with our son. Checked in with guest services and they actually asked us to just remain in our cabin and watch the live video feed of muster. We did that and then later a guest services member walked my son and I to our muster station and to the lifeboat. While we were in our cabin our steward checked on us but he knew ahead of time that we would be there.

It was a VERY positive experience. So incredibly superior to our treatment on Allure with Royal that my son begged to only do Carnival cruises from then on. (The staff on Allure told us they didn't have a special needs muster and to just get there early. That was a VERY rough start to our cruise!)

Yes, I would contact special needs if I was you. Or if anything be one of the last ones and use head phones or ear plugs. I have a son on the spectrum but he is high functioning. He never had an issue with the noise but, he does have an issue with all the people pushing. In the past we would come late and leave late.. Let people all the people go before we brave the stairs. Staying in your cabin would be a great alternative if they let you.

good luck!

Only the older ,smaller boats ,do you still stand outside ,, The 5 newest ships ,you sit down inside , MDR's theater , clubs ect for muster drill

Hi There!

We will be cruising on the Paradise in September with our son (5) and our daughter (3). Our son has some moderate sensory issues, and I'm just now starting to think of the muster drill.

Can anyone tell me what it's like, especially for a child very sensitive to loud sounds/sirens? Is there anything you could recommend that we can do to prepare him for the drill? I thought about maybe getting him some noise-canceling headphones to wear, but I realize that if it were a real scenario, those would not be so readily available and he should be familiar with the sound.

Just not really sure what to expect from him or the drill. Any advice would be very welcomed. Thank you!

Contact “Autism On The Seas”. We have cruised with them 5 times. They are wonderful at arranging everything with the cruise lines. I won’t cruise with my son without them.

Lots of great advice, including everything I would say myself, already on this thread. :)

My 14 yr old (who is autistic and has sensory processing issues) has always been well taken care of by the special needs dept at Carnival and I honestly CANNOT say enough good things about them!

The only thing I would worry about is the signal tone used. It is very loud and can be jarring to someone with sensory problems even if safely "riding it out" in the cabin or in the handicap muster lounge. Noise cancelling headphones would help the problem, but like you said you want him to be familiar with the sound's meaning.

Perhaps you could find a video or Vlog that has the sound, start it off a low volume then on repeated viewings increase it slowly till it's near the actual decibel level the ship uses. That will give you a controlled situation in familiar surroundings to get your son familiar with the meaning, then on board use the headphones to head off a possible adverse reaction.

The headphones could also be helpful if attending shows. Not all of them have intense lighting changes that they use in the song and dance variety show. The fly on entertainers (like the magician, hypnotist, or comedic juggler) as well as the Hasbro Game Show and Towel Animal Puppet Theater might appeal to your son if the volume over the speakers is toned down.