Alaska in July on Nieuw Amsterdam~Clothes for 16 yr old

My 16 yr old daughter going on her first Alaskan cruise on July 14th. We are from Florida and trying to figure out what to have her bring--we wear shorts all year long..lol She has a rain/wind jacket, several sweatshirts/sweaters and some other long sleeve layering shirts, plus jeans foon r when she is off the ship. Question is on the ship would it be acceptable to walk around in shorts and sandals if comfortable temp? I think temps may be 60-70 during day. I know she can bring her swim suit so she can swim if they have the dome closed. She has sneakers and will have hiking boots as she will be zip lining. Do you think I need to bring gloves? Anything else? TIA

My 16 yr old daughter going on her first Alaskan cruise on July 14th. We are from Florida and trying to figure out what to have her bring--we wear shorts all year long..lol She has a rain/wind jacket, several sweatshirts/sweaters and some other long sleeve layering shirts, plus jeans foon r when she is off the ship. Question is on the ship would it be acceptable to walk around in shorts and sandals if comfortable temp? I think temps may be 60-70 during day. I know she can bring her swim suit so she can swim if they have the dome closed. She has sneakers and will have hiking boots as she will be zip lining. Do you think I need to bring gloves? Anything else? TIA

Just a heads up in case it's pertinent ..... shorts are not allowed in the dining room on any evening. Jeans are allowed on all nights except Gala Nights. A skirt, dress or even slacks would be fine.

Shorts, sandals and jeans will be fine on the ship during the day...something a little dressier for the restaurants at night will be needed. Don't go crazy packing..one to two dresses/skirts or pants outfits will be enough. Who cares if she wears the same outfit to dinner a few times?

:halo:

Just a heads up in case it's pertinent ..... shorts are not allowed in the dining room on any evening. Jeans are allowed on all nights except Gala Nights. A skirt, dress or even slacks would be fine.

Thank you.. Good to know about the jeans.. She will be happy about that!! She usually dresses them up with a nice top normally!!!

You have the right idea with the layers. Agree, scarf, hat, gloves or earmuffs would be a good addition. You can buy things you need once you get to Alaska. Might want to add a cashmere sweater you can pick up on eBay - I find this the best insulator layer on top of some silk underwear - both very light weight and good future travel investments.

Definitely have her pack layers. We took an Alaska cruise in '06 and hubby asked if I was going to pack any shorts to wear on the ship. I wasn't, re-thought that, and threw a pair of shorts into the suitcase. This was before smart phones and weather apps! That summer, Alaska was having a massive heat wave. 90°F in Juneau and almost as warm in Skagway & Ketchikan. In Juneau, I was so warm from the weather that by the time we landed on our glacier excursion (dog-sledding), I was still wearing short sleeve shirt and slacks for the first half-hour there. I wore the shorts every day in the other ports. I froze inside ship and wore my long slacks there. HTH

Definitely have her pack layers. We took an Alaska cruise in '06 and hubby asked if I was going to pack any shorts to wear on the ship. I wasn't, re-thought that, and threw a pair of shorts into the suitcase. This was before smart phones and weather apps! That summer, Alaska was having a massive heat wave. 90°F in Juneau and almost as warm in Skagway & Ketchikan. In Juneau, I was so warm from the weather that by the time we landed on our glacier excursion (dog-sledding), I was still wearing short sleeve shirt and slacks for the first half-hour there. I wore the shorts every day in the other ports. I froze inside ship and wore my long slacks there. HTH
thanks!!! Definately packing some summer stuff just in case😉