Northern Lights expected in Alaska June 26th and 27th

CaptnG

If you’re in Alaska tonight or tomorrow remember to look up at the sky. They’re predicting a solar storm that should produce a good light show over the next couple nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

imagejpeg

Still possible to see em, just not the same as winter lights. If you happen to be here for 4th of July fireworks it’s kinda the same, visible but not as spectacular.

Look up all you want... The sky will be lit up, but it will be with sunlight, not northern lights.

If you’re an Alaskan that’s never seen the northern lights during the summer you’re missing out! I’m fully aware it’s bright, but that doesn’t stop them from happening.

I guess you can believe what you want to believe but it is simply too light to see them at this time of year.

Ok, honestly wouldn’t bother arguing about this with you, but I posted in hopes that a traveler would get to see them if they happened.. now I was in bed early so I do t know about last night, but I have personally seen northern lights in Alaska, in the summers, even this close to solstice. It’s like I said earlier, fireworks and northern lights are not as spectacular in the summer.. but when they happen you can see them and they are worth watching. I will not be commenting further, as this post has about 12 hrs of potential value left in it.

The debbie downers are from north, not southeast alaska. We do have dark in the panhandle. We do see the aurora during the summer, not Nat'l Geo cover pictures but enough to say "cool".

The odds are not good, but gambling the long shot can pay off.

100% cloud cover for the past three days, a big NOPE.

Actually we live just north of Anchorage in southcentral Alaska, Theoretically, you could see them here IF we had a solar eclipse but that's pretty slim odds since no eclipse is in the forecast.

The aurora forecast from the Geophysical Institute does a year round report on a daily basis. It does not take into account the amount of interference from sunlight. Besides, it is overcast right now.