Price of wifi

12 minutes ago, Mochama1 said:

I’m pretty sure they’re all unlimited. 

Of course.  I didn't look at the prior posts before asking the question.  Sorry.

The last time we cruised, HAL's Internet packages were minute-based, not app-based as they appear to be now.

Thanks.

14 hours ago, Tennessee Titan said:

To each his (or her) own, BUT IMHO, I will not pay $180 to check my email once a day for15 days......

Clearly the cost is going to reflect what a typical user will do with the service, rather than what an outlier will do with the service. 

We kept in touch with our cat sitter, checked in on our pets via security cameras in between cat sitter visits, posted selected photos from the past day on social media to share our joyous occasion (anniversary) and wonderful experiences with family and friends in real time, and made some critical changes to arrangements for our trip home.

5 minutes ago, bUU said:

Clearly the cost is going to reflect what a typical user will do with the service, rather than what an outlier will do with the service. 

We kept in touch with our cat sitter, checked in on our pets via security cameras in between cat sitter visits, posted selected photos from the past day on social media to share our joyous occasion (anniversary) and wonderful experiences with family and friends in real time, and made some critical changes to arrangements for our trip home.

I know right .... many of us have to stay connected. I don’t just check email 1 time per day. And the cost to me is definitely worth having that peace of mind. I don’t know why people have to be so snippy and opinionated. If you don’t need it, then don’t buy it. But leave the rest of us alone. Hahahahahahaha

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thanks to contributors for the very helpful topic.

What internet speeds should I expect to actually see?

Could someone who is cruising test the speed you are experiencing?

And reply with speed & name of plan you have paid? 

How to test your internet speed: 

fast.com

speedtest.net

Especially after you are going to go on an Eurodam Alaska cruise 🙂 ? 

I realize Alaska cruises don't start until May.

The pricing choice I have for a 7 day cruise: 

-   $70 Social

- $100 Surf

- $140 Premium

I need to be able to see Nest camera home video should the need arise. 

Memorable example from a long time ago: 

Waking up @ 6:30am in Vienna Austria to an alert showing video of police officers with guns drawn going through my house in Austin Texas.

I realize social plan won't work for me but I'm still curious as to its actual speed.

On the Eurodam last month, speeds varied from essentially zero to around 500 kbps.  The latter was more typical.

To see your video feed from home, you will need the Premium plan.  Streaming is blocked on the other two plans. I used the shipboard Internet for viewing our home video camera, and it worked fine once I upgraded to the Premium plan.

Note that you don't have to choose the more expensive plan immediately.  I subscribed to the Social plan at first, then found that it offered nothing I was interested in.  When I upgraded to the Surf plan, they simply charged me the new rate for the remainder of the cruise. Toward the end of the cruise I upgraded to the Premium plan, and I paid that rate for those last few days.  I really like the fact that they have abandoned the per-megabyte pricing now.

• Like 1

Thank you @IPB4IGO,    Wow, 500kbps is really slow, esp for a premium plan.

When I'm planning a vacation I always mentally decide I won't be online at all, but then there's always 1-2 tasks a day that makes me need to be online. 

When it's slow it's very frustrating because I don't really want to be online, I need it to do something.

Yeah, 500 kbps is slow compared to what we are accustomed to at home, but it's fast enough for most uses.  To be fair, we occasionally saw speeds exceeding 1 Mbps, but that wasn't typical.

As far as I know, speeds are the same on all the plans, it's just that different types of traffic are blocked on the two lower-price plans.  I certainly saw no difference in speed between the Surf and Premium plans, only that viewing our home camera was blocked on the Surf plan.