medical waiver

3GrayCats

We are booked on Hal's circumnavigation of South America embarking this coming January. Our ages (80 & 71) may prevent us from getting the yellow fever shots. We asked pcc about access to ports with medical waiver. He said it is up to the individual port authorities. We are wondering if many of the ports will deny us access? What have your experiences been? Thank you.

We are booked on Hal's circumnavigation of South America embarking this coming January. Our ages (80 & 71) may prevent us from getting the yellow fever shots. We asked pcc about access to ports with medical waiver. He said it is up to the individual port authorities. We are wondering if many of the ports will deny us access? What have your experiences been? Thank you.

Some cruise lines require YF vaccine while others (e.g., Oceania) recommend it. The major concern is not where you're going but, rather, where you've been.

Have your MD consider your overall medical history and current health and then either arrange for the vaccination (not always readily available) and certificate OR prepare a similar form (there are examples on line) if it is medically ill-advised and the MD requests/recommends a waiver.

IMO, if YF vaccine is ill-advised for you, I'd try to get a letter from the Infectious Disease department of a major teaching hospital.

Even then, I'd do the safe thing which would be to do the trip with a line that doesn't "require" the vaccine.

Sounds like, once you have the doctor/hospital decision/paperwork, you'll want written confirmation from the cruise line that it is acceptable for embarkation.

BTW, since Brazil doesn't require proof of YF vaccine for a visa or ETA, I expect they'll live with whatever the cruise line dictates.

I'm pretty sure the lone port compelling HAL to require medical documentation is Ecuador. Since it is fairly early in the cruise the question is does Ecuador require those who have previously visited Colombia or Panama to show proof of vaccine or be refused entry, even with a medical waiver? Perhaps you can find an official statement from Ecuador's website stating a waiver will be accepted. Or not accepted, as the case may be.

As the response above, I've never heard of Brazil demanding proof of vaccination so long as you have the proper Visa. Nor Chile, Argentina, or Uruguay which covers more than half the time on your cruise.

ADDENDUM: I see the cruise also stops at Devils Island--but after all the calls on the South American continent. I vaguely recall that if the itinerary was reverse (Devils Island, then the Amazon River ports) there is some sort of vaccination requirement.

Edited by fishywood

For this year's WV a yellow fever vaccination was required. In the letter we received in October we were told if you had a waiver the government officials for the country would decide. I did not hear of anyone being denied admittance to a country who had a waiver. You can check out the letter here - scroll down to the last page. I expect we will get a similar one for the South American GV.

I would like to invite you to join the roll call for this cruise. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2514845

I have found very few countries actually check the ICOV (yellow card/International Certificate of Vaccination). They see you have the document, and wave you through.

I think mine has actually been checked for YF once.

The CDC does not recommend a first time yellow fever shot for persons over the age of 60. On a recent Hal Grand voyage trip to West Africa, where The Gambia required the shot, medical letters from our Primary Physician stating the CDC recommendation and our current medical health along with the Yellow travel immunization card were necessary to board the ship and then it was up to the Port Authority if they would allow us to disembark. We had no problem and had a great day there. It was stressful because so much information pre-cruise conflicted. We were prepared to stay on board if necessary and am happy to say it wasn't. Enjoy your cruise!