Ship's tour/lunch visit on a mid-cruise port day?

Isklaar

I've just realised that in a couple of months from now, Ovation will be in port for the day close to a location where I have a meeting scheduled the day before. The port is not an embarkation or disembarkation port, it is in the middle of the itinerary.

Would I be able to arrange to have a tour or even just lunch onboard? I'm very wary of trying the new ships and this would be a good introduction for me before I take the plunge and book a cruise.

I know it's possible to do this at an embarkation port but not sure about the protocol for mid-cruise. It will be Ovation's first visit to the port so I'm guessing some local officials and TAs may be invited.

I will contact Seabourn Club direct to ask about this but if anyone has ever done this can you tell me how much notice SB required and if it was a straightforward process (prove of ID etc) or rather a hassle?

I think this is going to depend on a number of factors. ie. are you a travel professional with a strong sales history with Seabourn?

You could always ask your travel agent to ask. Or is there someone on board who may want to invite you aboard.

I think it may be Captain's Call but unless you had a connection to the ship or company, I am only speculating but it opens a Pandora's box.

Oh yes, It's Captain's call as well as the local authorities, so all could go wrong on the day, I'm aware of that. :D Fortunately it won't be a huge inconvenience to me if I'm turned back at the gangway with my tail between my legs!

I know it can be allowed on an embarkation day, not sure what official policy is or if it's a case of having the right TA or 'who you know'. I appreciate that mid-cruise is a different case though.

Don't suppose anyone knows who would be captain on Ovation in September this year?

Don't suppose anyone knows who would be captain on Ovation in September this year?

I assume it will be the same, Stig Betten, unless his contract ends. SLSD may know.

Shame it’s not October you want to visit, I would invite you.

Midway through our voyage on the Ovation, Stig Betten was replaced by Captain Andrew Pedder . We were told that this was a scheduled vacation for Betten who had been with the Ovation as it was being finished in Italy and then began as her captain in May. We were not told how long Pedder would be the Captain. I really liked him. He is an Englishman and very concise and clear when he speaks. We were also told that he had been Captain of the Fleet and 44 ships were mentioned. I wondered if that meant that he was Captain of the entire Carnival Line at one time.