Baltic Cruise Reading List

Hello!

Because I am a huge nerd (in the best kind of way), I always try to read one fiction selection from each country I visit. I thought I'd share the one for my upcoming baltic cruise. I am looking for a good general book on the history of the area if anyone has any recommendations! To be clear, I read most of these before I go. Saving one or two to come with.

Deb's 2018 Baltic Cruise Reading List

Netherlands - Midnight Blue (van der Vlugt)

Denmark - Smilla's Sense of Snow (Hoeg)

Germany - Winter (Deighton)

Finland - Purge (Oksanen)

Russia - Midnight in St. Petersburg (Bennett)

Estonia - The Man Who Spoke Snakish (Kivirahk)

Sweden - Faceless Killers (Mankell)

General - Rick Steves Scandinavian & Northern Cruise Ports

Non-Fiction - The Amber Room (Clarke)

Enjoy!

Deb

X-Posted to HAL Board

Good list, but have you noticed that Purge happens in Estonia instead of Finland? It is a good book by a Finnish-Estonian writer though.

I would add a bit older book: "The Summer Book" (Tove Jansson). At least it helps you to get into the theme, since you will be anyway cruising through the Finnish archipelago and seeing those small cabins scattered here and there. It also helps to understand the Finnish mentality a bit better. Many locals have a tradition to start their summer vacation by reading this book.

To your original question: "The Vikings" (Else Roesdahl) is worth checking out. It is not a story though, but it has great insights to the history of this area. If you are more interested in the mythology and enjoy reading well written stories, then I'd recommend "Norse Mythology" (Neil Gaiman).

Wow - love the list! Thank you! I have plenty of time to work my way through your recommendations as we don't head to the Baltic until August 2019.

Hello!

Because I am a huge nerd (in the best kind of way), I always try to read one fiction selection from each country I visit. I thought I'd share the one for my upcoming baltic cruise. I am looking for a good general book on the history of the area if anyone has any recommendations! To be clear, I read most of these before I go. Saving one or two to come with.

Deb's 2018 Baltic Cruise Reading List

Netherlands - Midnight Blue (van der Vlugt)

Denmark - Smilla's Sense of Snow (Hoeg)

Germany - Winter (Deighton)

Finland - Purge (Oksanen)

Russia - Midnight in St. Petersburg (Bennett)

Estonia - The Man Who Spoke Snakish (Kivirahk)

Sweden - Faceless Killers (Mankell)

General - Rick Steves Scandinavian & Northern Cruise Ports

Non-Fiction - The Amber Room (Clarke)

Enjoy!

Deb

X-Posted to HAL Board

Robert Massie "Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman"

Steig Larsson's Millenium series (Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, etc.)

And the AP World History textbook part on the Hanseatic League, according to dd, who knew much more than we did about trading in the Baltics throughout history.

If you like mysteries and detective stories set in Russia, read Boris Akunun's Fandorin or Sister Pelagia series. Start with the Winter Queen or Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Highly recommend the Raymond Massie books --they read like a novel. I loved this one -- The Madonnas of Leningrad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FCKRKQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Also agree about reading about the Hanseatic League -- pulls the entire cruise together.

Here is the list that our Baltic cruise put together https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1561110&highlight=Book+list

Good list, but have you noticed that Purge happens in Estonia instead of Finland? It is a good book by a Finnish-Estonian writer though.

I would add a bit older book: "The Summer Book" (Tove Jansson). At least it helps you to get into the theme, since you will be anyway cruising through the Finnish archipelago and seeing those small cabins scattered here and there. It also helps to understand the Finnish mentality a bit better. Many locals have a tradition to start their summer vacation by reading this book.

To your original question: "The Vikings" (Else Roesdahl) is worth checking out. It is not a story though, but it has great insights to the history of this area. If you are more interested in the mythology and enjoy reading well written stories, then I'd recommend "Norse Mythology" (Neil Gaiman).

I did notice, but figured I'd supplement, lol. I appreciate the book recomendations and had added them to my growing list (link in signature). Except Norse Mythology - I've read it several times, and LOVE it. Especially because I find something new every time I read it =)

Thanks again! Really looking forward to these reads!

Cheers,

Deb