Taking my minor grand-daughter off the ship

I will be cruising to Bermuda in two weeks with my daughter, her husband, his family and my 1 1/2 year old grand-daughter. We have six cabins total, mine is a solo. Monday early evening they are all going on a sun-set swizzle cruise and I am (willingly) left to babysit. I just read there is a festival at the dockyard that night, can I take her off the ship with her passport and room card even though our last names are different? Anyone have any experience with this?

Cheryl

I would be surprised if they gave you any trouble, but having the parents provide a notarized letter stating they gave permission for her to travel with you (just like they would sign if you were taking a minor on the cruise and they were not also sailing) would certainly be an easy step to take as a back up in case you were questioned.

I think my parents took my toddler son (different last name) off the ship at one port while my husband and I were off on another excursion, but I am not positive about that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our experience was on Pride of America, but there was nothing formally needed for my parents to take my boys off the ship. They were 11 and 8 yrs old at the time, so could not leave without an adult. There were several times where the boys and my parents left without DH and I in the immediate area or sometimes not even in the same line.

The kids club had stricter guidelines, there we had to give specific permission for my parents to sign them in/out. Our cabins were not linked but were nearby (across the hall).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We took our granddaughter on a cruise last year. No one asked any questions when we went ashore and they never even asked for our notarized permission to travel when we got on board. (we had everything we needed, they just didn't ask for it) Just the keycard was needed to get back on the ship at port. We didn't bring her birth certificate on shore with us.