Dedicated Quilting Cruise on Princess?

TheRabbit

Just asked my wife who is waaaaaaaaaay into quilting. She said YES. She has definitely received invitations for Princess cruises where there is a major quilting deal with instruction, etc. The whole cruise isn't quilting but... She has no interest in lugging her quilting stuff along on a cruise. She spends enough time quilting, going to quilt guild meetings (vice president this year and next), going to her small quilting groups, etc. She really doesn't need to quilt on cruises!

Example: July 5th to Alaska on Grand Princess is a quilting cruise. Just Google for Princess quilting cruises.

http://www.pamstravel.net/Page/2018ALASKAQUILTCRUISEWITHTERRYCASELTON

Just asked my wife who is waaaaaaaaaay into quilting. She said YES. She has definitely received invitations for Princess cruises where there is a major quilting deal with instruction, etc. The whole cruise isn't quilting but... She has no interest in lugging her quilting stuff along on a cruise. She spends enough time quilting, going to quilt guild meetings (vice president this year and next), going to her small quilting groups, etc. She really doesn't need to quilt on cruises!

Example: July 5th to Alaska on Grand Princess is a quilting cruise. Just Google for Princess quilting cruises.

http://www.pamstravel.net/Page/2018ALASKAQUILTCRUISEWITHTERRYCASELTON

Thanks for info, looks like that was the only quilting cruise they had. We just got off an Alaskan cruise three weeks ago, so that destinations won't go unfortunately. Would like to find one of the quilting/tour set ups that use just Princess. I have seen them on HOA and RCL where high end machines are included.

Same basic thoughts. I'm into serious sewing, and have attended major nationwide events on land. I have no desire to do one on a ship. Even if they have partnered with a major machine company, you need to bring a lot of your own equipment. In my experience, the "schools" are usually run by one travel agent, and you have to book thru that agent at a higher price than booking the cruise on your own. Yeah, they have to get those "free" rooms for the instructors somehow! And finally, I enjoy my cruise time. When I do one of these schools, I really max out my sewing time and efforts. There are too many other things to do on the cruise.

So, my decision...when I sew, I sew and when I cruise, I cruise...and they don't need to come together.

On the other hand, my "School of Art Fashion" t-shirt got a lot of attention on my last cruise.

Same basic thoughts. I'm into serious sewing' date=' and have attended major nationwide events on land. I have no desire to do one on a ship. Even if they have partnered with a major machine company, you need to bring a lot of your own equipment. In my experience, the "schools" are usually run by one travel agent, and you have to book thru that agent at a higher price than booking the cruise on your own. Yeah, they have to get those "free" rooms for the instructors somehow! And finally, I enjoy my cruise time. When I do one of these schools, I really max out my sewing time and efforts. There are too many other things to do on the cruise.

So, my decision...when I sew, I sew and when I cruise, I cruise...and they don't need to come together.

On the other hand, my "School of Art Fashion" t-shirt got a lot of attention on my last cruise.[/quote']

Back to the original premise, this might be the only way I get to the Caribbean as my DW has been there done that and is done with the humidity. She is willing to pay the extra to try out a new machine and get instruction in an area of sewing she has not done much in along with having several projects her mom started and did not finish.

There are several quilting cruises and at least one sewing cruise in the next year...but not on Princess.

That I have found. I see them on HOA and RCL. Thrak's had the one link, but the agency had only one for quilting and it went to Alaska from where we just got back.

https://www.quiltcruises.com/

Alaska' date=' Hawaii, Panama Canal, British Isles, etc. I don't know any of these teachers or how good they are or are not.[/quote']

This is one of the first I saw. It is on HOA. Hoping to find one on Princess, but it is tough to find. Found one flier for a Caribbean cruise on Princess last winter. Emailed her to see if she has a 2019/2020 schedule on Princess. Thanks for looking though.

Sadly... I am technically one half owner of two long arms, some half dozen “regular”, four or five antique and two portable machines. Threats have been made that the time for me to carry one of the portables on a ship. I am holding out as long as possible.

Sadly... I am technically one half owner of two long arms, some half dozen “regular”, four or five antique and two portable machines. Threats have been made that the time for me to carry one of the portables on a ship. I am holding out as long as possible.

DW talked to her sister about using her special roll around sewing machine case for bringing her machine on our 60 day cruise this fall. Since it is RT from our home port, it should work. List of thinks we are bringing grows. Sewing machine and gear, check; 3 cases of wine, check; 3 suitcases, check; camera, electronics, carry-ons, check; my broken back, check!:eek:

DW talked to her sister about using her special roll around sewing machine case for bringing her machine on our 60 day cruise this fall. Since it is RT from our home port, it should work. List of thinks we are bringing grows. Sewing machine and gear, check; 3 cases of wine, check; 3 suitcases, check; camera, electronics, carry-ons, check; my broken back, check!:eek:

Oh my...reminds me of a few of my adventures. We lost power for a week during a winter when I was doing costumes for school play. We moved into a shelter at the church we attend...and I set up my machine, etc. in a room the we essentially commandeered. When they later opened a large room as a community shelter, we just stuck to our snug little "home" and I got all the costumes done. It was a serious move in/out.....machine, iron, sleeve board, all needed equipment, etc. It worked! My newest machine is far to large and heavy for such exploits.

I love to quilt and I love to cruise - there is just so much to do on a cruise that I would miss by quilting and DH would be disappointed that I wasn't spending our time together - might be the last time he would cruise! Not worth it - I can sew all I want at home!!

Oh my...reminds me of a few of my adventures. We lost power for a week during a winter when I was doing costumes for school play. We moved into a shelter at the church we attend...and I set up my machine' date=' etc. in a room the we essentially commandeered. When they later opened a large room as a community shelter, we just stuck to our snug little "home" and I got all the costumes done. It was a serious move in/out.....machine, iron, sleeve board, all needed equipment, etc. It worked! My newest machine is far to large and heavy for such exploits.[/quote']

Wow!

DH has a well above basic refurbished programmable machine she will take. You brought up one of the sticky point with essentials, an iron. She will need to walk down to laundry to use the one there. My assignment tonight (should I want to accept it) is to get the distance down to the laundry. Looking at the deck plan, looks like 460'.

My wife will attend the Knitters and Natters meetings on a cruise but says there is definitely no way she would bring quilting stuff. We cruise to cruise. She quilts to quilt. For the Knitters and Natters meetings she takes her tatting. Very small and easy to carry. :D

My wife will attend the Knitters and Natters meetings on a cruise but says there is definitely no way she would bring quilting stuff. We cruise to cruise. She quilts to quilt. For the Knitters and Natters meetings she takes her tatting. Very small and easy to carry. :D

I here you, but going back to the original premise, this is to get me on a Caribbean cruise. I have never been to any of the ports except Aruba for a Canal cruise.

I here you, but going back to the original premise, this is to get me on a Caribbean cruise. I have never been to any of the ports except Aruba for a Canal cruise.

Mr. Rabbit, why not try a different cruise line? I have been on two of Terry’s quilting cruises and they were a blast. We had classes during at sea days in Botticelli until 3 pm. Something really cool about sewing with the ocean gliding by out the window. Teachers were great. She had special permission to have a small iron in each teachers area. Ship engineers checked out our setup on the first day to make sure everything was plugged in safely. We had maybe 50 quilters. If you search CruiseTipsTV Alaska cruise Day 10 on YouTube, they videoed during our open house last summer. Btw, I didn’t pay more for my cabin than normal, other than the fee that covered having teachers. When prices dropped on our Mexico cruise, Terry got me the lower rate. She arranged excursions thru Princess that were only open to our group, they included a stop at a quilt shop.

Edited by sjcivilady
correction to video description

Hey, I’ve noticed your posts all over the Princess board. Thank you for the humor! This board gets a little too serious at times. You always make me laugh. Have you asked if you can bring a sewing machine by any chance? I would love to do that if I took a cruise by myself some day. I have a compact machine that fits in a carryon piece of luggage.

• 4 months later...
On 7/9/2018 at 8:44 PM, sjcivilady said:

Hey, I’ve noticed your posts all over the Princess board. Thank you for the humor! This board gets a little too serious at times. You always make me laugh. Have you asked if you can bring a sewing machine by any chance? I would love to do that if I took a cruise by myself some day. I have a compact machine that fits in a carryon piece of luggage.

We had no problems bringing the sawing machine on. In fact at least one other cruiser did bring one on. They checked theirs and had a few issues receiving it. Cheryl just brought hers on as carry on in a rolling case and had no issues at all.

On 7/9/2018 at 8:36 PM, sjcivilady said:

Mr. Rabbit, why not try a different cruise line? I have been on two of Terry’s quilting cruises and they were a blast. We had classes during at sea days in Botticelli until 3 pm. Something really cool about sewing with the ocean gliding by out the window. Teachers were great. She had special permission to have a small iron in each teachers area. Ship engineers checked out our setup on the first day to make sure everything was plugged in safely. We had maybe 50 quilters. If you search CruiseTipsTV Alaska cruise Day 10 on YouTube, they videoed during our open house last summer. Btw, I didn’t pay more for my cabin than normal, other than the fee that covered having teachers. When prices dropped on our Mexico cruise, Terry got me the lower rate. She arranged excursions thru Princess that were only open to our group, they included a stop at a quilt shop.

We have the golden tether to Princess, free laundry. 

Any word on a future sewing/quilting cruise?

So sorry you had to cancel the TA in 2017 as your wife and I would have been quilt mates!  I completely understand the need to bring a machine on a long cruise.

I've spent many afternoons at sea playing Mah Jongg and would have been just as happy stitching with other quilters.  Karen

3 minutes ago, seamwoman said:

So sorry you had to cancel the TA in 2017 as your wife and I would have been quilt mates!  I completely understand the need to bring a machine on a long cruise.

I've spent many afternoons at sea playing Mah Jongg and would have been just as happy stitching with other quilters.  Karen

Hi Karen,

Cheryl has improved quite a bit in the last 6 months. In Juneau she only walked about two blocks at most in June. She walked over 3 miles several times in port in October and September. Maybe someday we'll meet up. Are you doing the Royal Coastal next MAy?

Cheryl brought 5 projects on (pre cut as no big tables to do layout and cutting on). She ended up sewing around 4 of them. Ironing seams was a challenge as she had to walk to the back of the ship to the laundry to iron them. She used a small hand roller that helped many times and allowed her to keep sewing.

I'm a woodworker and our room steward has just starting to do this over the last few years so I had some good discussions with him. I am also hauling some tools down to the port in January to give to him when the ship returns.