Carnival Excursion to Chankanaab, Guided or "Free Time?"

SkyPiglet

My wife and I have decided to book Carnival's "ALL INCLUSIVE CHANKANAAB BEACH DAY & SEA LION SHOW," while in Cozumel. I know it is more cost effective to do on your own, but my wife is a bit apprehensive about safety, so we are booking though the cruise line. We do have a few questions for anyone who have been on this specific excursion, or know someone who has...

1) After reading the reviews, it sounds like it might be very guided and regimented. Will we be required to stay with a group and do everything with the tour group, or is it something where we have "free time" to explore and experience the park on our own after we arrive, and then snorkel, wander, sit on the beach, eat, etc whenever we choose, or will there be a planned itinerary?

2) We enjoy snorkeling, but tend to prefer to go out into the water on our own, and not be part of a large group bumping into each other in the water. Is this possible? We have our own snorkel gear and are experienced snorkelers.

3) Neither of us is into large animal shows, for ethical reasons. No offense to anyone who enjoys them, it is just not something for us. We have no interest in the sea lion show, and would prefer not to go to it. If we are free to roam the park, it would easy enough to just skip, but if we are required to stay with the group, it might not be for us. Any advice?

4) How does transportation work? I am assuming that an arranged bus or taxi service would pick up everyone on this excursion, and take them to the park, like many other excursions. What is transportation back like? Does everyone meet at a set time for group transportation back, or more like departures back to the ship at various times, and I am assuming the tour operators follow the ship time. I am just trying to make sure there is no possibility of missing the boat, even though we are booking through Carnival.

Thank you for any input you offer, I appreciate it! :)

We did this excursion last october. Basically the guide show you schedule of activities. You can participate in all of them or choose what you want to do. You just have to show up at certain time to do certain activities. Or you can do whatever you want.

About snorkeling... Our group in Chankanaab was 5 or 6 couples. Only my wife and I go snorkeling so we have guide only to ourself :-). Everything depends on your group.

BTW. If you would like to take all tours they offer it will be VERY rushed...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

1. I did this excursion in May. The guide basically explained the layout of the park, gave the time for the sea lion show, and offered the tequila tasting. I think you have to meet with him at a certain time for the tasting. Other than that you can do it on your own. The beach by the big colorful Cozumel sign isn’t accessible, but it’s a nice place to sit and relax. We walked the mock ruins which was cool, and tasted the homemade tortillas We didn’t try to make it to the other exhibits in the back of the park. It got too hot.

2. We didn’t snorkel, so no help there. I saw a large group who did and they seemed to enjoy it. I guess it depends on the size of the crowd.

3. You can skip the sea lion show, although it was pretty quick and really entertaining. I took the picture with the sea lion kissing me. It was worth it, and the best part of the day IMO but I get it’s not your thing. If you do go, go early so you get a shadey seat.

4. The park arranged cabs to bring us over. Each tour guide got a minivan to bring us to the park. It’s really close to the port. Two maybe three turns. I think the cab ride was maybeten minutes. We were also told by we could leave at anytime at the end of the day. Closer to the departure time the tour guides were waiting by the exit to hail cabs. We left maybe 30 minutes early. Be prepared for the merchants in the shops by the exit trying to sale their goods. Although one gift shop there had the best t-shirt prices. Much cheaper than the port.

Honestly, because it’s so close and the tour guides provide little in the way of structure, if I went back I would book it on my own. You’re catching a cab anyway, and I promise you that you’ll have no problem getting a cab back to the port in time for a small tip. I don’t even know if the ladies we rode back with were on the ship excursion or not. It’s a straight shot down the highway, and I never felt unsafe. You could save a lot of money. Also, try to get an ealy snorkel time and get to the buffet before the dolphin swim lets out to beat the crowd. It got crazy quickly, but the food was good.

Not sure what safety concern is on your wife's mind?

Taxis are right at the port and are not difficult to use.

The park is the same park with the same activities whether you book through the cruise line or on your own. Only the price is different.

After some recommendations from friends we have this tour booked through Carnival as well. According to them depending on the size of the group either a mini bus or minvans are provided for transport to the park, with the minivans running back to the dock area several times in the afternoon.

The next thing they pointed out was the food and all local/traditional drinks from the restaurant near the entrance is included and unlimited (this is what caught DH's interest). As for the sea lion show (I know you're not interested in it but others reading might be) it was the direct educational interaction with the marine mammals not just a sit and watch them do tricks show, along with a chance to visit the manatee rehab enclosure. The part that I like there is supposed to be a semi-private guided tour of the tequila distillation attraction, with samples. Apparently the cruise ship tours also have some of the palapas and hammocks reserved for use by their patrons, not enough for all at the same time, but enough that everyone should get a chance to utilize one of each for at least 30 minutes. We're not big beach people, to us it's just a place you need to cross and leave your towels on to get in the water, so the loungers are of no interest to us. Hubby does not like to go underwater for any length of time so we only plan on using their goggles and maybe the flippers to view the underwater life and statues from the surface. So to us it sounds like the only things we would need to pay a la carte for, if we choose to, are the zip line, massage services, the dolphin interactions, shopping, and on beach bar service.

After some recommendations from friends we have this tour booked through Carnival as well. According to them depending on the size of the group either a mini bus or minvans are provided for transport to the park, with the minivans running back to the dock area several times in the afternoon.

The next thing they pointed out was the food and all local/traditional drinks from the restaurant near the entrance is included and unlimited (this is what caught DH's interest). As for the sea lion show (I know you're not interested in it but others reading might be) it was the direct educational interaction with the marine mammals not just a sit and watch them do tricks show, along with a chance to visit the manatee rehab enclosure. The part that I like there is supposed to be a semi-private guided tour of the tequila distillation attraction, with samples. Apparently the cruise ship tours also have some of the palapas and hammocks reserved for use by their patrons, not enough for all at the same time, but enough that everyone should get a chance to utilize one of each for at least 30 minutes. We're not big beach people, to us it's just a place you need to cross and leave your towels on to get in the water, so the loungers are of no interest to us. Hubby does not like to go underwater for any length of time so we only plan on using their goggles and maybe the flippers to view the underwater life and statues from the surface. So to us it sounds like the only things we would need to pay a la carte for, if we choose to, are the zip line, massage services, the dolphin interactions, shopping, and on beach bar service.

Hopefully you'll get to see Luna and her twerking and back flips in the sea lion show. She’s a real ham.

The park is the same park with the same activities whether you book through the cruise line or on your own. Only the price is different.

If you don't want to have to snorkel in a group and don't agree with animal shows for ethical reasons, then it really sounds like you should just Chankanaab on your own.

Like riffatsea said, there really aren't safety concerns. Just grab a taxi at the port, take it directly to the park. Inexpensive to buy your own admission and if you have your own snorkeling gear then you can jsut do your own thing. Then grab a taxi when it's time to leave

We did this for our honeymoon cruise and to this day it was one of our most enjoyable cruise experiences, as well as one of the least inexpensive. It was about 1/4 the cost of doing it through the cruise line (we also would have no interest in a seal lion show), even when we bought ceviche and beer on the beach to relax. And relaxed we were! We just had to get back to the cruise ship at a certain time, no rush. We easily stayed there twice as long as the structured excursion did, and could have stayed another hour or so and still had plenty of time to spare.

Cozumel relies very heavily on their cruise visitors. I am skittish about going off on my own, especially when I travel alone. I actually feel comfortable getting a taxi by myself when in Cozumel. Chankanaab is right there by the cruise port in the middle of the action. I agree y'all should do this on your own. And taxis will be lined up at C. to take you back to the ship as well.

I plan to go the Chankanaab the next time I'm in Cozumel. I also don't like to see animals 'misused' for our entertainment but some of these facilities are engaged in research and conservation. I don't know about C. but at two other dolphin/sea lion facilities I've been to, the animals did not seem misused or abused at all, were in large freshwater pools (one of which opened up to the sea) and the animals seemed quite content.. in my human opinion. :)

On your own no buffet, no picture with the sea lion.

Snorkeling you can do by yourself either way, know there are ladders to get into the water there.

If you are doing an excursion for snorkeling, check out the 3 stop listing they offer

Oh, and carnival includes transportation

Edited by Lottacruises

check cozumelinsider.com sherry is amazing with her information huge discounts depending on when you book- sometimes throws in a lunch THen you can really do it on your leisure with a lot less people.

Haven't been there in years but one of my fondest cruise memories...much easier to do on your own and no less safe than going with a group....we are big snorkelers and enjoy trying local food...enjoy your day there!

We went to Chankanaab on the Carnival excursion the last time we cruised in 2015. We are going there again next week, and realized the shore excursion is $80-90. For the park entrance price of $21 plus a cab ride, you get the EXACT same things. It is literally right down the road from the pier. We're going the cheap route this time!

We went to Chankanaab on the Carnival excursion the last time we cruised in 2015. We are going there again next week, and realized the shore excursion is $80-90. For the park entrance price of $21 plus a cab ride, you get the EXACT same things. It is literally right down the road from the pier. We're going the cheap route this time!
$21 plus cab fare includes the nearly all inclusive food and drink that the ship's excursion does?

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Good point! Food and drink are not included in the $21, just all the activities. Since we don't drink and the buffet wasn't all that great, we didn't consider that a plus.

It definitely depends on how much you would use these "benefits." Personally, when I'm hanging out at a beach in the sun, I eat very little (the sunshine tends to make me lose my appetite) so I wouldn't eat enough at the included buffet to make it worth it.

My husband and I bought ceviche and beers at one of the little tiki huts on the beach at Chankanaab for way less than what the cruiseline wanted to charge.

Thanks for the input everyone! I agree about the huge price increase for Carnival vs DIY. My wife's concern is not being sure if she trusts that any individual taxi driver is legit, where the assumption is that that the cruise line thoroughly vets them. In reality, they are the same people either way. I do know that the drivers in Cozumel are very regulated, more so than getting an Uber back home. We decided to give DIY a try. :)

The park will be nice due to the variety of activities for us. I could easily snorkel for hours, but my wife will want to do other things too. The food and drinks would be nice, but not being included is not a deal breaker. We are using Cheers anyway on board. As for the sea lion picture, we are not interested anyway. We will will probably go early in the day, and then head back to port for a late lunch before going back to the ship.

On that note, is anyone aware of the non-included pricing? What the extra activities like the kayaks, spa, tequila tasting, lockers, snorkel vests (we have our own other snorkel equipment) etc. tend to cost? I cannot seem to find anything online, or in these forums.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Edited by SkyPiglet

$21 plus cab fare includes the nearly all inclusive food and drink that the ship's excursion does?

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

for $60pp savings I am sure I could find something to eat. The buffet is just not fancy enough and just mediocre at best. and you dont get the entire buffet with that ticket== just certain parts and drinks-- its soda not mixed drinks or beer.

edited to add: I posted before reading OP’s update that they are going to do DYI.

The taxi drivers are all licensed. They wear iDs. It is all very public and open, and likely you will share a van/cab with others going to the same destination. Far safer than an Uber in NYC I would venture to say.

Trust me, Carrnival does NOT vet individual drivers. They have a contract with an operator.

By doing Carnivals you are paying for the sea lion show which you don’t even want to see.

This is probably the easiest and safest activity of any in the Caribbean to do on your own, other than things that are in walking distance. (Cozumel while of course in Mexico is an island that depends on tourism and tourist safety is a real focus.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

By the way, we found Cozumel to be very safe. We had the taxi drop us off several blocks from the port after Paradise Beach so we could do some shopping. Streets were full of tourists and never encountered anything sketchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I promise both you and your wife that you CAN do this on your own! For far less and far easier than you might imagine. Cozumel is probably the easiest port in the Caribbean to do on your own.

I've been to Chakanaab five or six times and it was the second port I ever visited. My best friend (two women) and I politely got off the ship, waltzed to the back of the shopping area and hailed a taxi. The rates are published right there on the sign and it will take about 12-15 minutes max to get there. Coupons are available on the internet for about a $2 savings per person per ticket.

When you want to leave, walk back to the gate and taxis will be lined up to take you back to the port. There are hosts who will hail one from the line and bring it right up to you, you don't even have to walk over to them.

The food is good, very inexpensive and you will have waiter service right to your chair if you are lounging on the beach!

I'm sorry but I feel like Carnival excursions are like elegant cattle calls and Cozumel is one of those places it really, really isn't required. You can have a much better time if you are in control instead of being herded. Just my .02 cents.

We have done this on our own multiple times - with our kids. The youngest was 3 the first time and obviously we have zero safety concerns. We have done the dolphin encounter, the dolphin swim and the sea lion encounter in addition to just visiting. Luna is quite charming though her breath is one of the fishiest and grossest things I have ever smelled!

We bring our own snorkel gear so can’t comment on that - the locker might be $10 max and drinks are reasonable - like $5-6.

I would not hesitate to do this on your own. That way you have time to walk the grounds, see the crocodiles, and enjoy the lagoon in addition to snorkeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums