Alaska comparisons

myacuna

What is the best, most efficient way to research Alaska options?

Family lives in Seattle so getting to a starting point is not an issue (we are in NC). Its going to likely be 2 couples with 3-4 kids (ranging in age from baby to 13). Not terribly worried about excursions and everyone is willing to do some traveling.

Do we look at a Seattle-Vancouver loop? Seattle-Seattle loop? One way with flight back?

We are not worried about vacation days as we all have tons to spare. Shooting from 2020, would like to avoid the cost of Disney, have only sailed RCCL and Carnival. How does one go about choosing a ship and itinerary?

Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose a departure port, explore the itineraries. Try to choose one that visits Glacier Bay. How old will the 'baby' be? Child care will depend on the age. Not all cruise lines have their 2020 itineraries up yet, but you can get an idea of what may be offered by looking at 2019. EM

Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose a departure port, explore the itineraries. Try to choose one that visits Glacier Bay. How old will the 'baby' be? Child care will depend on the age. Not all cruise lines have their 2020 itineraries up yet, but you can get an idea of what may be offered by looking at 2019. EM

Not quite sure...working on it [emoji4]

My guess is in the 1 range, plus or minus 3 months. I’m leaning towards ovation only because I’m familiar with that class of ship. Just worried about size.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did Alaska with much older kids seven years ago. Glacier Bay is a National Park and permits are very limited. The two lines who get the most permits to Galcier Bay are Princess and Holland American. We were on HAL because parents (their 50th wedding anniversary) are HAL loyals and we wanted to make sure they got their points. I think Princess would have been fine as well. Many multi-gen families on our trip, so they were not the only kids aboard by a long shot. Also due to saving cost of air we did roundtrip out of Seattle.

You may want to check out the Alaska board here to find suggestions and/or find a TA that specializes in Alaska.

My suggestion for picking a cruise line and ship/itinerary is to:

- Decide what parts of Alaska you want to see, which will determine if a R/T or one-way cruise best meets your needs

- The R/T cruises from both Seattle and Vancouver only visit SE Alaska - Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, a Bay/Arm with glaciers. You will not visit all, only 3 or 4.

- A one way cruise will head further north up to Prince William Sound - Seaward, Whittier, etc

- One way cruises also have pre or post land based tours available to Denali, Kenai, etc

Having completed 2 seasons out of Vancouver and also many cruises as a passenger, I have been to Glacier Bay, Hubbard & Tracy Arm many times, but Glacier Bay is still my favourite. Personally, I would select a ship that visits Glacier Bay. I note only 2 ships per day are permitted to enter Glacier Bay.

For research, I use:

- Tripadvisor

- Cruise Critic Ports of Call Boards

- What's in Port (1,200 ports) - https://www.whatsinport.com/

- Tom's Port Guides - https://www.tomsportguides.com/

My personal preference would be one way from Vancouver to Whittier with Princess that stops in Glacier Bay, followed by a post cruise land tour, then flight home.

I agree that especially for first time Alaska cruisers or folks who think they will only visit once, prioritize the inclusion of Glacier Bay, which limits your options. It is truly spectacular, and nearly the full day, with ranger programs and multiple glacier viewings and non stop beauty.

The one way itineraries are ideal as they will get further into Alaska, and you can add on a land trip including Denali, recommended especially for those who think this will be their only visit. It is often recommended to start the trip with the land portion, then you have the cruise to relax a bit more, and the shorter flight home.

Planning travel for the one way can take some extra effort as there are fewer flights, and for a land portion there is usually a very specific time of day to check in, so many end up flying in even earlier (not a bad idea with jet lag and all). The one way itineraries are often on smaller/older ships than the round trips, which are more popular (presumably due to the lower cost and easier travel).

Trips from Seattle especially waste time going back there, and the seas are predictably a bit rough on that day leaving Seattle sailing in open ocean. However, they are convenient and cheaper, and we live there, so our 2 Alaska cruises have been from Seattle, and our next is 11 nights Vancouver to Seattle. The Vancouver sailings can be a compromise between Seattle RT and a one way, but I've seen reports that flights to there often cost more than Seattle (some folks fly into Seattle and take the train, but it only runs twice a day).

May and September are the cheaper months, but can be a bit more limiting, such as with excursions, weather, and length of day (short in September). I prefer May to September, as it is cooler, with more ice & snow (looks more like Alaska), and longer days. June/July/August are peak season, with the most excursion options. If there are certain excursions you want (for example, seeing bears), research what is going on during what parts of the season.

Also agreed, Princess and Holland have the most experience in Alaska and I think the most cruise options, but don't automatically discount the other lines. You may want to make a couple initial choices (such RT vs. one way, time of year, Glacier Bay or not), then list the specifics on the remaining cruises and compare them to see which is the best fit.

Great advise above. I like to get a guide book to read also. Get tired of being on the computer. I bought Frommer's Alaska Cruised & Ports Of Call 2010. Newest addition is 2018.

Amazon sells used books. This one has NO pull outs that could be missing.