River Cruising at 42? A good fit?

Bejeweledj9

My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe for our 20th anniversary next year. We are considering a Rhine River Cruise, but aren’t sure if it’s a good fit. We like the idea of not doing any planning, seeing multiple amazing cities and unpacking only once.

However, we are 42, pretty active and like the idea of really experiencing the towns, exploring on our own at times, eating where locals eat, etc.

Any input or suggestions is appreciated, especially if there are cruise lines that might work better for a younger, active couple. Thanks!

Sorry for my late reply but I just noticed your thread. We've taken two river cruises and in both cases we met a variety of age groups on board.. Our first experience was a two week trip with Scenic. It's an Australian company and the Aussies definitely were a fun and active group. Our second trip was on a Uniworld ship. I was surprised the average age might have been a bit younger. Both companies offer highly inclusive experiences. Based on your comments I think Scenic would be perfect for you two. Have fun and happy anniversary!

Paul

• Like 1

What was the cruise line?

We did Castles Along the Rhine with Uniworld. We loved it so much we booked the Douro. That had an older crowd but still active. The cruise on the Douro didn't go as planned - the ship didn't move after the first day - so we got a voucher for a free cruise. We just used that one for the Budapest to Bucharest cruise and I'm not sure if it was because it was summertime, but that one had a much younger crowd. I would say the average age was maybe in the late 50s, early 60s?

• Like 1

Unlike an ocean cruise, you are not really trapped on board a river cruise. There are daily stops so you can choose to do a group excursion or do you own thing.

There is less need to feel that you have to fit in.

What matters is the service from the staff, quality of food and speed of bar service.

Meal times are the group activity so check if you have to share a table or not. Different river cruise lines operate systems. On Crystal River Cruises, you are never asked to share a table at any time. It’s open dining so you just walk in whenever. On other river boat the passengers tend to go into the restaurant at the same time of the staff cannot cope.

If you have tired yourselves during the day then evening entertainment/ distractions are less important.

• Like 1

We are in our early 50s / early 60s and have so far done an Avalon Xmas markets cruise which was huge fun. We sought out other youngish professional looking people in the bar (as opposed to retired couples who have a tendency to go on about grandchildren - who we will never meet! why?) and loved having dinner with them. However the guided walking tours could be a bit dull - though some guides were fascinating - so this year we have booked an Amadeus Xmas markets cruise, which gets good marks in Doug Ward's book, is really cheap in comparison with all other good quality lines, and the excursions are extra - so with a map we will walk around by ourselves. Will put up review on our return. Just hope the Danube river levels rise by November so no bus worries!

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 2015 my wife and I did the Avalon Magnificent Europe from Budapest to Amsterdam for our honeymoon.

At the time we were 31 years of age. Though the demographic on the ship was older, we had a great time. We never felt out of place and we had a great time mingling and meeting people on board. There were approximately 100 cruisers on board, so we quickly got to know mostly everyone. We actually spent most of our time with a couple who were 69 and 71 years old. They became our drinking buddies for the trip, whether it was at dinner or up on the deck of the ship.

We took part in most of the included excursions, however we did venture off on our own at times if things were moving to slow or if there were other sights we wanted to take in. For example we only had half a day in Bamberg so we skipped the included tour, saw all the sights we wanted to see at a quick pace, and then enjoyed the remainder of our time at the Schlenkerla brewery drinking smokey beer (a specialty of Bamberg).

We enjoyed every minute of the cruise and didn't have one negative thing to say about it. It was an experience we will never forget and if finances allow we would do it again without hesitation.

Christian

• Like 1

My husband and I did a Rhine river cruise this past May with Uniworld, I'm 44, and he is 57. We were on one of their older, smaller river ships. While we enjoyed the daytime excursions and the overall experience, we felt the evenings were a bit of a dud. The only place to eat at night was the formal dining room or room service, and they only had on 1 guest musician during the cruise. The rest of the evenings, it was  a guy doing piano standards in the lounge. We got bored in the evenings pretty quickly, and missed the option of doing an evening buffet or quick meal.

We've decided to go back to Ocean cruising, although we may do another river cruise at some point again, it won't be soon. And if so, it will be on a ship that has more alt.dining options in the evening, and more entertainment options.

• Like 1