Road to Hana Tour in Maui

Ravensfan19

Do both of the tours offered by Norwegian end at seven sacred pools?

Any recommendations?

Thank you !

Rent a car and drive there yourself.....insanely winding road but very doable in a day.

Rent a car and drive there yourself.....insanely winding road but very doable in a day.

There is a back road around the bottom. Most rental car companies won’t let you do that unless you have a Jeep. Heed that advice. That road is no joke!

Do both of the tours offered by Norwegian end at seven sacred pools?

Any recommendations?

Thank you !

Our tour did not end at the seven sacred pools but since this was an overnight stop we booked through Valley Isle excursions for the Road to Hana and paid half of what you would pay with NCL and there was no fear of missing the ship, I highly recommend checking them out. It was a great trip and our driver was a local that was very knowledgeable. There were many stops and lunch was included, As others have said, you should not try to do it on your own if you plan to go the whole way through. At points the road was very narrow and no railings. The road to Hana tour is a memorable experience with incredible views and not one you should miss, IMO. Have a great trip!

Our tour did not end at the seven sacred pools but since this was an overnight stop we booked through Valley Isle excursions for the Road to Hana and paid half of what you would pay with NCL and there was no fear of missing the ship, I highly recommend checking them out. It was a great trip and our driver was a local that was very knowledgeable. There were many stops and lunch was included, As others have said, you should not try to do it on your own if you plan to go the whole way through. At points the road was very narrow and no railings. The road to Hana tour is a memorable experience with incredible views and not one you should miss, IMO. Have a great trip!

You mean the full circuit 'round the back of Haleakala? I've read the small print and never seen any restrictions on rent car agreements. However if you do need help you will pay $$ for tow truck etc. We did it on a van tour and it made for a 12hr day.

You can drive "up country" and follow the road around to Ulupalakua Ranch/Winery if you want to go to it. Check the map.

• 5 months later...
On 7/26/2018 at 10:17 PM, pspercy said:

You mean the full circuit 'round the back of Haleakala? I've read the small print and never seen any restrictions on rent car agreements. However if you do need help you will pay $$ for tow truck etc. We did it on a van tour and it made for a 12hr day.

You can drive "up country" and follow the road around to Ulupalakua Ranch/Winery if you want to go to it. Check the map.

It was on our rental car agreement. We came upon it by accident. It caught my eye while looking for a map in the paperwork. 

2 hours ago, Steve and Sharon said:

It was on our rental car agreement. We came upon it by accident. It caught my eye while looking for a map in the paperwork. 

Yeah in the old days one used to ask the rental car companies for a map.   The map clearly mentioned that driving that road past 7 pools is off limits will not be covered by roadside assistance or insurance.   There are a couple of other roads on Maui as well like that.   If one thinks they can depend on the tablet or phone they are not going to see the rental company restrictions.    That said, we really did not think it was that major of a road challenge if one drove slow and realized that there is a lot of one lane highway for two way traffic.   We were more worried that a local would mess up and get us in trouble with the rental car company.