Booking restaurants on board ..NCL Star

soggy1975

We are on the star in just over a month and haven't prebooked any restaurants.

We would probably like to eat in the mdrs 4 out of the 7 nights..the buffet a couple of nights then 1 night in one of the speciality restaurants.

How easy is it to get a table without booking?

Is it worth booking on the morning or booking all the restaurants on embarkation?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

It depends a bit on what speciality restaurant you want to go to.

Availability can vary from cruise to cruise, so some people may say that they were able to just walk up and others will say that everything was sold out very quickly on embarkation day. You really can't tell.

If you know where and when you want to eat in the speciality restaurants then I think it is worth booking. Check whether anything is still available to book online, or do it when you get onboard. To be safe it is worth doing it as early as possible.

Personally, I have never booked any of the MDR's, and haven't had any problem getting in with minimal waits. If you eat at prime time then there may be a bit of a queue.

Can you order off free mdr menu whilst in speciality..just thinking about out 2 teenagers who may not like the food on offer

I’ve never tried it, and I suspect it is unlikely, as the MDRs are likely to be quite a way away. However it doesn’t hurt to ask. Generally they try to help if they can.

There is a kids menu which you can order from in the specialities, but they may be a bit old for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like to eat early (5:30- 6 ) then its relatively easy to get in. I booked everything I could online but we did find a couple open reservations for specialty restaurants mid-week. I also had reservations at the MDR's but if you go at 5:30 you don't need one. Later times there will be a good-sized line. If you want to book a specialty then my advice is to pick one and book it now. Otherwise, do it on the first day, as even on the Star things fill up. If you wait, then your choices will be either be 5:30 or 9:30 as those are the least desired times.

We would probably like to eat in the mdrs 4 out of the 7 nights..the buffet a couple of nights then 1 night in one of the speciality restaurants.

Is it worth booking on the morning or booking all the restaurants on embarkation?

Thanks

It is only “easy” at 9:00 for specialty restaurants. You may get lucky earlier. The monitors in the ship show how full the restaurants are.

MDR no problems with walk in at any time.

Thanks

My recent experiences on the Star indicate that Moderno (Brazilian Steak House) and La Cucina (Italian) are usually available while times are more problematic at Cagney's (Steak), Teppanyaki, and Le Bistro (Continental). While I always book ahead, I've also found that if I go the reservation desk in the atrium early on the 2nd day (I think it opens at 7:30 a.m.), I can typically make changes if I'm willing to be flexible time-wise.

There are menu's available in the buffet during its open hours and an employee who can make reservations there. I have gone there as I've boarded and been successful. Also your family could check out all the menus there including the MDR menu for that evening.

Enjoy your cruise!

Would all the speciality restaurants be suitable for a 12 and 14 year old? Don't know if any are more orientated to adults

Also do they pay full price at teppanyaki and moderno fixed price restaurants?

Children pay the same price as adults.

Our son is now 13, and has been going to the speciality restaurants fairly regularly for 2-3 years now. He loves Teppenyaki and Moderno, and tried Cagneys earlier this year (liked it so much he asked to go back).

He's not as fussed about La Cucina and on our last cruise he asked to try Le Bistro. He thought it was OK, but isn't bothered about going back just yet.

So yes, in my experience, the speciality restaurants are very suitable for kids of that age.

Final question..I see there's 18 % gratuity on top..is this over and above a prepaid gratuity

Is the gratuity on drinks also(We are 'All inclusive ')

The gratuity is now 20%. It is charged on top of the cost of your meal and is totally different to the DSC (which I assume you are talking about when you say prepaid gratuities, as this is included in all inclusive).

A gratuity is payable on drink purchases, but not on anything that is covered by the beverage package (which is part of all inclusive). You won’t pay it unless you get any drinks not covered by the beverage package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We traveled on the Star last year, we booked Tepanyaki in advance as spaces are extremely limited. We tried to book Cagney's when onboard on embarkation day, no spaces at a time that suited us. Decided not to book and try turning up, we managed to get seated. I don't think they book the restaurants out 100%, they leave some back for walk ins otherwise the whole concept of Freestyle dining wouldn't work.