Winter Cruise Question

Would you consider a a train to get to Florida and board a r cruise ship? It is always sumer in the Caribbean. The trmperatures stay close to the same year round but it gets more humid in summer.

Oh my goodness! Thanks guys for the quick and smart replies. You can tell I have no clue to what I am doing. Karen, I didn't book yet but my plan was to book tonight. Thank God I thought to put this question out there before I booked.

Most of you are correct. At 60, the booze cruise is a definite no-no. Heck, even when we were younger it wouldn't be something that would interest either one of us.

I think I need to get in touch with a TA and I will. I also think I may postpone the 60th birthday surprise to March or April. Do you guys think a five day cruise is good for first timers? I am just nervous that a week may be too much.

I sure did wait until late in life to do this.

I'm glad you waited to book. Have you considered surprising your husband at his birthday but with the information about a summer booking? Our first cruise was a 4 day Carnival Glory from NY to Saint John NB Canada in August of 2012. We loved it - minimal hurricane worries since traveling north, not quite as much party vibe on a Canadian cruise (still some), and weather was still warm. I don't think Carnival still has this itinerary, but Regal Princess did a nice 5-day that includes Halifax, NS (lovely city, very walkable) from Brooklyn. Carnival and NCL have the biggest reputation for drinking/parties, but I think you can avoid it on those ships too depending on your interests (there will likely be a lot of drinking poolside).

Thank all of you for so much information. There is a lot about cruising that I didn't know. I decided to reach out to a travel agent that specializes in cruises. I also asked for cruises that leave New York or Baltimore since NY is a 2 hour drive from us and Baltimore is 1.5 hours. You all really helped bring some clarity to my plans. I may have to celebrate his surprise 60th a couple of weeks after his birthday.

A summer Bermuda cruise might be a good option too. Not as warm as the Caribbean, but likely fewer drunks. I hope your agent is able to help you and you enjoy your first cruise:cool:

Definitely do a longer cruise...especially when flying is part of the plan...it's hardly worth the airfare for a 3 nighter...and it's true that the shorter the cruise, the more raucous it will be.

In the winter, you want to sail from Florida, to the actual Caribbean...not to Bahamas or Bermuda, which are in the Atlantic and have much cooler weather than the Caribbean will. A week-long cruise is NOT "too long"...pick one with many port days.

I also live in PA. For our 25th anniversary, my husband surprised me with my first cruise, a New York to Bermuda one. The Atlantic ocean was so rough and I got so sick it took him ten years to ever talk me on a cruise again. Since then, my sea-legs have improved and we cruise often but if this is your first time, pick something leaving from Florida to the Caribbean. Do NOT sail out of Baltimore or New York in the winter.