Two Free Days In Barcelona

My mom and I are going on our first trip to Europe this October on a 12-night cruise! We’re two fit, adventurous Americans who love walking, window shopping, and taking pictures of quaint and quirky side streets and alleyways. We perfer smaller, local, village-style experiences to touristy or big-city-style jaunts, though we enjoy both.

Our ship docks in Barcelona for two days, and we want to explore on our own rather than do any shore excursions. We’d also like to walk everywhere, if possible. Have any must-see’s for us?

Huge question! Huge city. Even two days won't be enough, so you need to prioritise the sights which are going to appeal to your own personal interests as you won't be able to see and do everything and everyone will have their own personal preferences depending on the amount of time they will have there.

It will be an exciting trip for you. To get the most from it you need to be pro-active. Read, read, read. By the time you have read about the city you should have an idea of what might be of interest then you can check opening days and opening hours, transport, if you need to pre-book entry etc. A two day HOHO pass would be an option and give you an idea of the lay out of the city and you could work some of your visiting plans around the stops.

Begin with shore excursions even if you don't want to book any. They give you an idea of some of the highlights. Tripadvisor Barcelona, Barcelona Tourist Info website and plenty others including guide books which you can maybe borrow from your public library? Many websites also offer DIY walking tours which you can print off and take with you. Frommer's Barcelona offers several so maybe one or two of these would appeal to you. For info on where you dock, try the Destinations section on cruisecritic, and sites such as whatsinport.

You could also try using the ‘search’ facility on these ports of call boards. Put in the name of the port and you can read through all the previous discussions, which will give you valuable information and help.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Definitely get a guidebook and plan a walk through the Bari Gotic (the Gothic heart of the old city); stroll down Las Ramblas and visit the famous food market there.

You probably will also want to visit La Sagrada Familia, Gaudi's masterwork of a church that is still being built -- but close to completion. You can't walk there but you can take public transportation or a taxi. And there are also two houses by Gaudi that are open for visits.... And the Picasso and Miro museums.... And the museum with the city's ancient Roman ruins behind the cathedral in the Bari Gotic.....

My mom and I are going on our first trip to Europe this October on a 12-night cruise! We’re two fit, adventurous Americans who love walking, window shopping, and taking pictures of quaint and quirky side streets and alleyways. We perfer smaller, local, village-style experiences to touristy or big-city-style jaunts, though we enjoy both.

Our ship docks in Barcelona for two days, and we want to explore on our own rather than do any shore excursions. We’d also like to walk everywhere, if possible. Have any must-see’s for us?

I agree with cruisemom42! Barcelona is a big city but many areas are like small towns. We have been there twice and love walking Las Ramblas from the beginning by the sea up to Playa Cataluna ! The architecture is amazing and watching the street performers is great! Sagrada Familia is a must! We were there in 2003 & 2006 and each time amazed at work. Now you can actually tour the people church!

I always get Rick Steves guidebook! His webpage forum is also very informative!

Kelsie. As others have stated, get yourself a good guide book(s) for Barcelona. They will tell and show you many points of interests and how to go about seeing them. Most will have itineraries for one or more days. JoAnneNYI gave you the name of a free walking tour by runnerbeantours. Also I would like to give you the name of a Barcelona tourist site that we have used in the past, barcelona-tourist-guide.com. Hopefully, this will help you

and your mother in your planning for a wonderful time in Barcelona!