Are soda package cups reusable cruise to cruise?

That makes sense but that also means the drink machines have to be connected in some way to the ship’s computer system.

That is correct, and is how they enforce a 15-minute time limit before you can get another drink, even if you go to another machine.

The chip is set up to activate the first time the cup is used. So the time starts after activation. They don’t need to reprogram anything from week to week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So if you never use it on your cruise and you were to bring it on another cruise later.... would you be able to use it? Hmmmm, Just wondering since I received one with my drink package but never used it.

• 6 months later...

After reading this forum I decided to test out the RFID myself to verify how it becomes activated. We just did a cruise in January 2019 on the Jewel of the Seas. I brought an old UNUSED cup from our cruise last year and tried it, and it worked fine. Therefore, I think it's fair to assume that it activates when you first scan it, not when you first buy it.

One thing to note, we also got a new cup with our room on this cruise, so I tried it at the same time. When I filled my drink, it displayed a different "expiry" date than my old cup...by one day. Interestingly, our previous cruise (the one I got the old cup from) WAS one day longer than this one....so your guess as to how the cup gets the expiry date information is as good as mine.

• Like 1