Are soda package cups reusable cruise to cruise?

If you get a soda package and get a special cup, will it only work for your cruise in the soda dispensers or can you bring it again on another cruise? I assume you'd have to pay again to "reactivate it", just wondering.

No. On Freestyle Coke machines they have a chip. Other ships they do change cup style week to week. I only cruise on B2B2B and they even have asked to see my card see it sticker on it before filling. I'm sure lot of people have tried to not pay...

• Like 1

Generally they're pre-configured to expire later than the end of the cruise where you purchased it. For instance if you were doing a back-to-back cruise on the same ship, your cup would almost always be usable at the FreeStyle machines for most if not all of the cruise following the cruise during which you bought the cup. While the RFID tag in the bottom of the cup itself is likely reprogrammable, I've never seen them make any mention of doing it; they'll provide a new cup with the package and there's no savings to trying to reuse the previous cup.

That's what I was wondering. Was if you kept it and brought it again, could you get a cheaper rate, etc. I would assume the chips would stop working after your cruise but could maybe be reprogrammable.

Not sure if we'll do the package anyways as we don't drink much soda, but those machines are neat.

They generally work for two consecutive weeks in my vast experience. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My wife and I always buy the drink and package. I never use my cup. I decided to run a test using one of the cups I never used and left my new one in the wrapper. It worked and this was months later

The machine will show you the date it is active through. At least it use to. Make sense that it would be more than 7 days because of the longer cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am SO not a programmer.

Could it work like this: The chip is merely programmed to begin whenever it is first used. It then lasts for...……..however long it lasts.

I don't know the details either, but my guess is that the chip only emits a unique ID. The computers on the ship note that it's the first time that ID is used and give it some set time to function on that ship, I've heard two weeks.

If this is the way it works, then it's possible that the same cup could be used multiple cruises, as long as they are on different ships.

Generally they're pre-configured to expire later than the end of the cruise where you purchased it. For instance if you were doing a back-to-back cruise on the same ship, your cup would almost always be usable at the FreeStyle machines for most if not all of the cruise following the cruise during which you bought the cup. While the RFID tag in the bottom of the cup itself is likely reprogrammable, I've never seen them make any mention of doing it; they'll provide a new cup with the package and there's no savings to trying to reuse the previous cup.

My cup actually expired the morning before I debarked the ship. I tried to fill it in the Windjammer during breakfast. It had already been deactivated.

I never knew what the cups were for on my last cruise. They sat in our cabin the entire week and I use at home for water. What exactly is a free style machine and where are the located? We were on the grandeur of the seas

I never knew what the cups were for on my last cruise. They sat in our cabin the entire week and I use at home for water. What exactly is a free style machine and where are the located? We were on the grandeur of the seas

https://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/

Machines are usually in Windjammer and on the centrum.

Grandeur has one on Deck 6 next to Lattetudes, the coffee counter.

Grandeur_freestyle_Coke_machine_Ben_Jerry_s_Lattetudes.jpg

and two in the Windjammer.

DSC07521.jpgfree screenshot software

We were told on our last cruise that they are programmed for a specified time frame. The ship receives them already programmed (if I remember correctly). From there, it is a matter of whether your subsequent sailings will fall within that time frame. I don't believe they can be reprogrammed, but we didn't ask that. You just never know when that time frame will end...

Bob, I am almost positive that is how it works. RFID chip is just a high tech version of the universal bar code found on products in stores. When a clerk scans the code at checkout, the computer reads the code and then looks up in a database what price that product is.

For the cup it does what you said below.

I don't know the details either, but my guess is that the chip only emits a unique ID. The computers on the ship note that it's the first time that ID is used and give it some set time to function on that ship, I've heard two weeks.

If this is the way it works, then it's possible that the same cup could be used multiple cruises, as long as they are on different ships.

No. On Freestyle Coke machines they have a chip. Other ships they do change cup style week to week. I only cruise on B2B2B and they even have asked to see my card see it sticker on it before filling. I'm sure lot of people have tried to not pay...

Since you mentioned B2B, here is something to watch. When I have gotten this package on 7 day cruises the expiration date on the cup is 14 days. But I haven't been on board after 7 to try it.

On a B2B on a 10 and 11 night cruise in September and have pre purchased the soda package for both, wondering whether to cancel the 2nd and see what happens. Although Just came off an Indy 14 nighter and when we placed the cup in the machine then it showed a use upto date of the date we disembarked.

Bob, I am almost positive that is how it works. RFID chip is just a high tech version of the universal bar code found on products in stores. When a clerk scans the code at checkout, the computer reads the code and then looks up in a database what price that product is.

For the cup it does what you said below.

That makes sense but that also means the drink machines have to be connected in some way to the ship’s computer system.