Bordeaux cruisers: would a French Balcony be worth $1800?

SeaWatch

Tomorrow I am going to book a May, 2109 Bordeaux cruise on AMA Waterways. The Difference between a French balcony and a fixed window cabin is $1800.

Seems like there’s not much cruising compared to other river cruises and I’m wondering if this might be one to save the $1800 and use it on in the Loire Valley post river adventure.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, ceiling type window that can not be opened. I’m not sure about the square footage I’ll have to check - I think it’s close but it seems like most of the time on this itinerary is either on the shore excursions orif certainly I could go on deck in May, right!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have paid the difference for the French balcony but truly spend little time in our room except overnight. IMHO it is your budget and of course what you desire. When rafting up at many ports I have the doors closed for quiet and security.

While we enjoyed the Wine and Chateau cruise with Viking, this is one of the least scenic of all of Viking's cruises. I'm sure it would be the same with AMA. The selling points for the cruise are good food & wine, neat port stops, and fun excursions. I thought the boat was more of a floating hotel as we didn't really sail very far during the week. Unless you don't like being further down below on the ship, I would save money and just go for the cheaper room. If you want to see great scenery, try the Rhine or Douro rivers. Regardless, I'm sure you will enjoy the trip in Bordeaux. Enjoy the wine!!!

On all of our cruises (ocean and river) we have spent time in the cabin on port days – sometimes more, sometimes less – and always enjoy the view out the big window during whatever part of the day (or evening). We would miss this in an aquarium class cabin. For us, French balcony cabins are the sweet spot. But YMMV and only you can decide.