Cruise before the Triumph goes into Dry Dock

VolzCruiser

I booked my cruise over a year ago for mine and wife's 10 year anniversary. If I had known that it was going to be under renovations like this I would never have chosen it. It wasn't until a post here and then on the Facebook page I referenced that people started seeing that at the start of September Carnival starting doing work on the ship without telling anyone. The only notice people are getting is a letter saying boarding will be delayed and the cruise will sail one hour late with no explanation as to why. Calls to Carnival, my most recent being Monday and they still deny that any work is being performed on the ship. Even many posts to John Heald's post has had a cookie cutter response that all areas are open when the Oxford Lounge has been closed since the start of September and still shows as an active part of the ship on the Carnival website.

Repairs and renovations take place on various ships and at various times without the ships being in dry dock. If you watch loading and unloading you will see them bringing on carpet, changing out mattresses and chairs etc - irrespective of whether the ship is scheduled for dry dock or not. They are prepared to deal with floods - and hallways or rooms may be uninhabitable or having work done on them if say they have a pipe break. Certain rooms may be closed off during a cruise for a variety of reasons from special functions to group reservations. People get letters delaying boarding all the time for a variety of reasons. So in short, all the things that you are stressing about can happen on any cruise at any time. And you are wanting Carnival to share information with you that really isn't relevant to you - they are entitled to be a hour late boarding - look at your cruise contract.

My advice is to not worry about it and go and enjoy your cruise. For every negative thing you focus on, you are winding yourself up over something that is VERY minor in the scheme of things. Cruising is a laid back vacation and people who have time tables and expectations often end up unhappy because that just doesn't comport with the nature of the beast. Also, having just been on the Triumph less than a year ago, I can say that we thoroughly enjoyed her. One of the HUGE pluses for this ship is that she has the BEST shows and BEST dancers of any we have seen on a Carnival ship. So while X lounge might be closed or deck Y aft getting some changed out decor, those thing really shouldn't impact you - go an enjoy the shows.

I blocked Carl so I only see his posts here when people quote him. Not that it matters but contrary to his claims it’s more than 3 different posts in the group in which people have voiced comceens in which THEIR cruises were affected by the construction that carnival continues to deny. Anytime someone who had cruised shared an experience that differed from Carl he labeled them a whiner or a complainer. His bias in the deleted post and in this one here is crystal clear. I’m glad he had a great cruise but he continues to fail to grasp the concept that if construction is going on on the 7th deck people with rooms directly above and below the construction on 6 and 8 can be affected by the noise and deserve to be told of this prior to sailing. I sail on the 10/8, am past the point of cancellation and will deal with whatever happens and try to make the most of my trip. Still doesn’t change the fact that it is poor customer service on Carnival’s part for not being transparent with this issue. Some of you may like spending thousands of dollars for your vacation and receiving second rate customer service but I don’t.

With that I’m done completely with this thread.

Edited by MediumB
Grammar errors

I blocked Carl so I only see his posts here when people quote him. Not that it matters but contrary to his claims it’s more than 3 different posts in the group in which people have voiced comceens in which THEIR cruises were affected by the construction that carnival continues to deny. Anytime someone who had cruised shared an experience that differed from Carl he labeled them a whiner or a complainer. His bias in the deleted post and in this one here is crystal clear. I’m glad he had a great cruise but he continues to fail to grasp the concept that if construction is going on on the 7th deck people with rooms directly above and below the construction on 6 and 8 can be affected by the noise and deserve to be told of this prior to sailing. I sail on the 10/8, am past the point of cancellation and will deal with whatever happens and try to make the most of my trip. Still doesn’t change the fact that it is poor customer service on Carnival’s part for not being transparent with this issue. Some of you may like spending thousands of dollars for your vacation and receiving second rate customer service but I don’t.

You are not reading this anyway since I am blocked by you but I said 3 posters (technically I said 3 complainers) and NOT 3 posts. You have chosen to not care about facts and have decided you rather whine and cry instead of listen to reason. Frankly, I don't think you should cruise at all based on your expectations and character traits in that regard.

I will say this ONE MORE TIME ... one of the loudest complainers has NOT even been on the cruise yet. (MediumB)

One of the other complainers gave me a list of 6 or 7 complaints. 1-3 all happened BEFORE sail away. (late embarkation, muster drill, and kid's wristband having wrong muster station on it). The 4th was a noise complaint about construction which she is an expert on. (according to her). The last ones were staff complaints saying the staff was rude, slow, and treated her badly. Oh, and apparently the water in the MDR tastes like "mold" to her. Sorry, I don't buy that at all.

This is all about perspective people. It MATTERS WHO is saying it when it comes to feedback on a cruise. Some people choose to find misery in everything and others choose to find joy. Knowing who is speaking is important.

For example. I know that I am personally going to believe what JAMMAN54 (Jeff --- and others) says over some random poster who only showed up to complain and whine.

Also, can someone post pics or video of the new renovated rooms on the Triumph. Do the rooms have usb ports? Did they change the decor? I'm interested in seeing the few updates they have done.

I don't have pics handy - but our room 7386 had new USB ports between the beds, and a set on the vanity (in addition to 2 regular outlets and a EURO outlet). We were the first in the room after its update, and were pleasantly surprised. The only "downside" was that I kept finding miscellaneous screws everywhere....

We are in Progress today. The triumph has about 2700 cruisers, not crowed at all. We are seeing no effects of the work going on. Still have the great production shows. This is a very enjoyable cruise.

We were on the same cruise! And I agree, low crowds, much fun.

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on Triumph last week - brand new room on deck 7, directly in the "open" space near the aft elevators, room 7386.

The starboard side of 7 was completely blocked off, but I didn't hear ANY construction noise (and I take naps mid-afternoon, so theoretically should have!). Our "let's practice rapping at 3 am!" neighbors were far more of a challenge. From what I could tell, the only other impacted area was the Oxford Bar - which didn't bother us.

The staff was super friendly (except for the Alchemy Bar), and the music and shows were great.

I'd say - go, have fun! If you board with a great attitude, you'll have a great time. :)

I don't have pics handy - but our room 7386 had new USB ports between the beds, and a set on the vanity (in addition to 2 regular outlets and a EURO outlet). We were the first in the room after its update, and were pleasantly surprised. The only "downside" was that I kept finding miscellaneous screws everywhere....

Thanks for the reply

• 2 months later...

Despite the current construction, i am very excited about my upcoming cruise in February! anyone know if deck 6 has or will be renovated prior to drydock? would like to know if i will be in an updated cabin. Doesn't matter either way, just curious. 

Thanks!! 

I was on the Carnival Freedom on its final cruise before its 2014 drydock. Carnival had closed the upper deck towards the back of the ship (but kept the jogging track functional) because the ship was loaded with crates and boxes of materials the ship would need to bring with it to drydock. Furthermore, they closed one of the lounges and had already started to tear apart its inside in order to speed up drydock work. This was not a big problem until we went to disembark the Freedom, when it became extra apparent that work was being done, as the entire ship filled with contractors and boxes with new TVs, carpeting, furniture, etc. However, it did not make too much of an issue for us, as we went to get a nice island vacation, and that is exactly what happened. Our trip was not altered or ruined in any way, it was just very obvious that she ship was getting its facelift the second we got off of it. However, assuming you aren't on the transatlantic, you should be fine. But, don't let my story worry you, they aren't going to be scaling the ship or tearing it apart while paying passengers are still on it. Remember, a good half that ship will be completely clueless to the ship's future until they are told. So, they want to keep that impression. The only people who will notice this are either loyal CCL cruisers, or people who are told.