Transatlantic on Navigator

rcandkc

We did a TA on the Navigator some years ago. It was wonderful! The ship - as you know - is small and you get to know heaps of people. The "theme" of our cruise was Broadway Theatre and the NY Theater Guild produced the entire thing. Hopefully there will be something similar on yours. We had a couple of days of choppy seas - when Terry Breen who was one of the on board lecturers opted to give her talk wearing sneakers (to keep her balance) but it was nothing the ship or the passengers could not handle. The lectures/entertainment etc kept us very very busy. More so than on any other crossing we have made before or since.

I really recommend it. And the "normal" suites on the Navigator are very large. Much larger than those on the Mariner. We had a Navigator suite which we liked OK but would have preferred the bathroom to have opened off the bedroom and not the sitting room and would also have liked a larger terrace. It was OK though... we weren't disappointed.

We did a TA on the Navigator some years ago. It was wonderful! The ship - as you know - is small and you get to know heaps of people. The "theme" of our cruise was Broadway Theatre and the NY Theater Guild produced the entire thing. Hopefully there will be something similar on yours. We had a couple of days of choppy seas - when Terry Breen who was one of the on board lecturers opted to give her talk wearing sneakers (to keep her balance) but it was nothing the ship or the passengers could not handle. The lectures/entertainment etc kept us very very busy. More so than on any other crossing we have made before or since.

I really recommend it. And the "normal" suites on the Navigator are very large. Much larger than those on the Mariner. We had a Navigator suite which we liked OK but would have preferred the bathroom to have opened off the bedroom and not the sitting room and would also have liked a larger terrace. It was OK though... we weren't disappointed.

Thank you..your response helps us feel more comfortable.

I know☹️. But timing works and flight back would not be an overnight. I do poorly on overnight flights since I absolutely cannot sleep. I’ve tried.

Some airlines offer a morning flight to Europe in which you arrive in the evening and then are able to get a good night sleep and wake up the morning totally refreshed - you do spend the entire day traveling, so if you are under time constraints (limited vacation time), you may not want to waste a day for travel, but it beats losing a nights sleep and trying to recover from the jet lag.

gnomie :)

Some airlines offer a morning flight to Europe in which you arrive in the evening and then are able to get a good night sleep and wake up the morning totally refreshed - you do spend the entire day traveling, so if you are under time constraints (limited vacation time), you may not want to waste a day for travel, but it beats losing a nights sleep and trying to recover from the jet lag.

gnomie :)

They are really hard to find from Dfw but good advice.

They are really hard to find from Dfw but good advice.

Looks like if we first fly to NYC there would be choices but would have to give up nonstop. Food for thought. I do think we will book this Navigator cruise. If we like transatlantic cruise we will look for more in the future going the other direction and on larger Regent ship.

RCandKC - I personally would not be too concerned about the relative (small) size of Navigator, in comparison to the slightly larger sizes of the other Regent ships. If you encounter heavy seas or a "full blown storm", it wouldn't make much difference whether you're on Navigator, Voyager, or Explorer. You are going to feel the power of the ocean, no matter which ship you were on.

As a career "Navy man", I did a north Atlantic crossing on the USS Truman (CVN-75). A Navy "super carrier". 104,000 tons, 1,000+ feet long, and 250 feet across (beam) at the flight deck. By contrast, the "little Navigator" is 29,000 tons; 560 feet long; and 80 feet across.

We went through a "huge" storm on the Truman and there were plenty of sailors (including me!) who were "revisiting their lunch". Despite being on one of the largest ships in the world...the sea still "won" that day! :D

Size wouldn't have made any difference. Just hope the seas are relatively calm during your transit. Many of us love the Navigator and I would look forward to any cruise on her on any itinerary, no matter where it was going! Best Regards.

RCandKC - I personally would not be too concerned about the relative (small) size of Navigator, in comparison to the slightly larger sizes of the other Regent ships. If you encounter heavy seas or a "full blown storm", it wouldn't make much difference whether you're on Navigator, Voyager, or Explorer. You are going to feel the power of the ocean, no matter which ship you were on.

As a career "Navy man", I did a north Atlantic crossing on the USS Truman (CVN-75). A Navy "super carrier". 104,000 tons, 1,000+ feet long, and 250 feet across (beam) at the flight deck. By contrast, the "little Navigator" is 29,000 tons; 560 feet long; and 80 feet across.

We went through a "huge" storm on the Truman and there were plenty of sailors (including me!) who were "revisiting their lunch". Despite being on one of the largest ships in the world...the sea still "won" that day! :D

Size wouldn't have made any difference. Just hope the seas are relatively calm during your transit. Many of us love the Navigator and I would look forward to any cruise on her on any itinerary, no matter where it was going! Best Regards.

Thank you for your input. We have been on Navigator 4 times with number 5 coming in October. We were on Voyager crossing the Tasman Sea with a huge storm. 80 mile winds and 33 ft Seas. It even broke 2 windows in CR. Except the unfortunate missed ports which we were sad about, the ride was exciting.

We have decided to book the cruise NYC to Amsterdam. We have not been to the Azores, Belgium, or Amsterdam (husband has been to Amsterdam on work...doesn’t count).