Freedom of the Seas...Really that bad?

Spike2000,

I have cruised on quite a few ships and have been on the freedom a BUNCH of times.  Freedom seems to have a Happy Feeling about it.  Like the Mariner.  Some ships do while some don't and I can't explain it.  I have experienced different captains and crew on the freedom and still, the trip was always a pleasure.  I would go on the freedom anytime.  I bet you and your family will have a great cruise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spike2000 said:

Not true. Cost may be a factor but physics would not be a factor. 

Current ships can't make the trek to Eastern Caribbean in less than two days, so that limits what can be done in terms of itinerary. If one was to resurrect the SS United States (which had more than double the speed of current ships), that could be cut down to 1 day and more options would be available.

Related image

2 minutes ago, kjkrmk said:

Spike2000,

I have cruised on quite a few ships and have been on the freedom a BUNCH of times.  Freedom seems to have a Happy Feeling about it.  Like the Mariner.  Some ships do while some don't and I can't explain it.  I have experienced different captains and crew on the freedom and still, the trip was always a pleasure.  I would go on the freedom anytime.  I bet you and your family will have a great cruise.

Thanks & I am sure we will.  I am just " over-researchy" (ha) on these things at the planning stages. I am sure it will be a blast. Now I am reading posts on drink packages...to buy or not to buy...that is the question. haha.

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Current ships can't make the trek to Eastern Caribbean in less than two days, so that limits what can be done in terms of itinerary. If one was to resurrect the SS United States (which had more than double the speed of current ships), that could be cut down to 1 day and more options would be available.

Related image

I am just going off past experience...I have been to quite a few Eastern Caribbean islands via 7 night cruises in the past.(based out of Miami)  I personally think that a Nassau stop sucks on a 7 night cruise.  I can't remember exact itinerary's but I know that I have been on 7 night cruises that have included multiple good ports over there. Not simply Nassau & cruise line private islands. It feels like a money grab keeping you on their ships and their private islands.   Just my opinion and past experience. 

Just 2 thoughts about posts in this thread.

1. We did a Christmas 2018 cruise on Freedom and had a great time (except for my son's fractured ankle in Aruba).  We had an aft balcony and the balcony was huge.  The ship was clean and in fine shape.  We also ate in the MDR each night.  The food and the staff was excellent.  Great Christmas dinner (Beef wellington, turkey with all the trimmings and many more choices).  The ship has a lot of the bells and whistles (flow rider, ice skating, rock wall, mini golf).  Would recommend her highly.

2.  We flew Jet Blue JFK-SJU.  On time and comfortable.  Was the best pricing we could get.

Went on the Freedom about a year ago with daughter, son-in-law , 3 grand children and had a wonderful time. Our GC stated they had a better time than on Disney cruise the year before, which cost almost double the price. The price they are putting on their "Magic" is getting crazy.

Freedom is fantastic, just like all their ships. Do it!

I did Cuba last year on the Majesty.

She is 27 yrs old and still well kept.

Hard to get used to small ships now since most of my sailings are on all newer Mega ships.