Is there anywhere to go to avoid the seaweed/seagrass issue?

DonnaK

We will be in Costa Maya the last week of August. I am very put-off by the reviews of gross seaweed/seagrass at the beaches.

Is there a beach/resort that doesn't have this issue? Or another excursion that it recommended?

We will be in Costa Maya the last week of August. I am very put-off by the reviews of gross seaweed/seagrass at the beaches.

Is there a beach/resort that doesn't have this issue? Or another excursion that it recommended?

I did hear that Alma Plena does not have this issue. But I cannot confirm it. Perhaps call them? They would know best. Google maps it out as a 1 hr drive from cruise port and 22 minutes further from Maya Chan.

http://www.almaplenabeachresort.com/beachclub/costamaya-beach-resort.htm

Edited by Arzeena

I did hear that Alma Plena does not have this issue. But I cannot confirm it. Perhaps call them? They would know best. Google maps it out as a 1 hr drive from cruise port and 22 minutes further from Maya Chan.

http://www.almaplenabeachresort.com/beachclub/costamaya-beach-resort.htm

You don’t go the same route to Almaplena as Maya Chan - it is beyond Maya Chan but you approach from opposite direction so I am not sure if timing is accurate. It is on the same facing coast as all the other beach clubs and Maya Chan so unless it happens to be at such an angle to the currents that it is fortunate to miss the predominant drift I am not sure why it would esape the problem. It is true that some beaches “can” be in this fortunate situation but even then I think it could vary from day to day depending on steering winds and currents.

You will be able to seesailing in and from the port how bad the situation is on a given day. Maya Chan is offering a refund if you decide not to go at all otherwise you could choose somewhere where you don’t need to pre-pay.

To avoid completely you would need to take one of the ruins tours, perhaps combining with Bacalar, stay at the port and use the pool and facilities there or go to the water park.

Certainly very sad for the economy of the area.

Take a look at some of the tours with Native Choice. They offer a tour to Bacalar Lagoon which is a nice alternative to the beaches. You can combine this with a tour to Mayan ruins, if you are interested. We did the Chacchoben Extreme Tour and enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We’re at Maya Chan today. They told us before we got on the taxi that the sea grass wasn’t bad today and it isn’t. There is a slight smell that is unpleasant but the breeze is nice and helps. It isn’t so off-putting to cause us to regret coming. There is no way to know in advance how bad it will be until you get here. It can change on a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
thanks to all for the responses. I think we will just see how the conditions are on the day we arrive before we decide.

Hope you are having a good time on the Allure. Would you please let us know about the amount of seagrass once you return?