Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

In preparation to the Greenland cruise next week, I checked the packing list provided by Silversea and found out that a recommendation for an insect headnet. Does anyone know if it necessary? 

14 minutes ago, Lirio said:

In preparation to the Greenland cruise next week, I checked the packing list provided by Silversea and found out that a recommendation for an insect headnet. Does anyone know if it necessary? 

I found the following while researching your question.....

"Arctic mosquitoes are legendary and ferocious, but you can avoid these pests by wearing a net around your hat, staying close to the sea (for the breeze) or using a repellent.  Light colored clothes are less attractive to mosquitoes.

I discovered the local solution to this problem is to take the leaves from the Labrador tea (qajaasat) plant, squash them in your hand and rub the juice on any exposed areas.

If you must use commercial repellents, use a liquid or cream, as sprays are not eco-friendly."

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/north-america/greenland/how-to-stay-safe-while-exploring-greenland#mosquitoes

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lirio said:

We sure needed them in Alaska at this time of year!  The mosquitos there could carry off young children!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There have been expressed some opinions that Silverseas appeals to an older, stodgier crowd than some other lines.  I'm happy to report that SS Management has recently announced some new additions to the entertainment offerings, to help appeal to a younger crowd:

*Loaner pogo sticks will be provided for use in the hallways accessing the suites, also, remote battery controlled miniature race cars will also be provided for use in the halls, making your pogo experience more challenging - a good exercise to keep that aging brain agile!

*There will be wet T-shirt contests - sorry, ladies, participation limited to gentlemen over 60.  Contestants will get wet by first competing in a cannonball contest, off the walking track into the hot tub at pool level.

*There will be eating contests featuring caviar, champagne & avocado toast.

*Waterskiing will be available off the stern, while the ship is underway. 

*Each evening there will be an "Elevator Stuffing" contest, similar to the phone booth stuffing events of your youth. 

*As a special treat, there will be Air Guitar contests poolside, with high volume death-metal "music" piped in though huge Marshall Amplifier stacks, all turned up to 11!  A massive air drum kit will also be available.  

I hope all will enjoy these improvements.

• Haha 4

Tonight's cooking adventure. We found a recipe for Spice-Roasted Halibut. Spices are our favorite souvenir. So we have some odd ones lying around. 

It basically called for making a paste of spices with olive oil, coating the fillets with the paste, then roasting and serving with a salad of herb leaves dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. Looked interesting but we had to improvise for some of the spices.

The first ingredient was khalta hara...a chile spice blend that we didn't have. Some Google research showed that it includes Aleppo pepper as the base, combined with cumin, coriander, dried lime, cardamom, and cinnamon! OK here goes. No Aleppo pepper but I did have some Kahsmiri mirch pepper that we'd bought in India a few years ago. Was looking for an excuse to use it, so I added a bit of cumin and cinnamon. I ground a few coriander pods that we had from Zanzibar. Then a bit of lime zest. The recipe also added extra ground coriander and some ginger. The mix smelled nice!

Coated the halibut then baked it, in a pan over lemon slices (to keep it from sticking). The fish cooked in the oven while we made the salad. Chris chopped the herbs after I picked them. I used a base of parsley and added some mint, tarragon, and basil for flavor. Also picked a tiny hot pepper from the garden to add some punch.

I also cooked up some couscous in chicken broth with a splash of cumin. That is such a simple side dish - I have homemade chicken broth in the freezer so I put a cube of it in a large measuring cup, nuke it until it melts, add a spice or two if I want, and water to make 3/4 cup of liquid. Then add 1/2 cup of couscous and nuke it again just until it starts to boil. Let it sit for a minute or two and fluff it. Done.

20220725_181900.thumb.jpg.a5205d67053a508a0daa29d26b558f53.jpg

Looked pretty good together, and it was very tasty too! The Kashmiri pepper was just a touch warm, not too hot, and very flavorful despite costing me less than 50 cents in some random bazaar in Murshidabad, India five years ago. I'd make this again.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Tonight's cooking adventure. We found a recipe for Spice-Roasted Halibut. Spices are our favorite souvenir. So we have some odd ones lying around. 

It basically called for making a paste of spices with olive oil, coating the fillets with the paste, then roasting and serving with a salad of herb leaves dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. Looked interesting but we had to improvise for some of the spices.

The first ingredient was khalta hara...a chile spice blend that we didn't have. Some Google research showed that it includes Aleppo pepper as the base, combined with cumin, coriander, dried lime, cardamom, and cinnamon! OK here goes. No Aleppo pepper but I did have some Kahsmiri mirch pepper that we'd bought in India a few years ago. Was looking for an excuse to use it, so I added a bit of cumin and cinnamon. I ground a few coriander pods that we had from Zanzibar. Then a bit of lime zest. The recipe also added extra ground coriander and some ginger. The mix smelled nice!

Coated the halibut then baked it, in a pan over lemon slices (to keep it from sticking). The fish cooked in the oven while we made the salad. Chris chopped the herbs after I picked them. I used a base of parsley and added some mint, tarragon, and basil for flavor. Also picked a tiny hot pepper from the garden to add some punch.

I also cooked up some couscous in chicken broth with a splash of cumin. That is such a simple side dish - I have homemade chicken broth in the freezer so I put a cube of it in a large measuring cup, nuke it until it melts, add a spice or two if I want, and water to make 3/4 cup of liquid. Then add 1/2 cup of couscous and nuke it again just until it starts to boil. Let it sit for a minute or two and fluff it. Done.

20220725_181900.thumb.jpg.a5205d67053a508a0daa29d26b558f53.jpg

Looked pretty good together, and it was very tasty too! The Kashmiri pepper was just a touch warm, not too hot, and very flavorful despite costing me less than 50 cents in some random bazaar in Murshidabad, India five years ago. I'd make this again.

It sounds heavenly JP!  Bravo!

Loved the British ads,  Mysty.  Eyesight not quite good enough to read all the quick children, however.

There used to be a London Estate Agent whose adverts in the  newspaper always said something like 'absolute hovel' about property in the poshest areas; he was very successful.

Nice to get on to the Cooler and away from yet another long form to fill in to finish off  sorting  out of my DH's   estate.  Just what you don't need,  but nearly there.

Lola

• Like 1