Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi folks, just dropping in to say hello from the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth,,NJ.  They have a shuttle to the port where I will board Celebrity Eclipse later this morning.

I flew in yesterday and the weather has been lovely.

DW, will keep you updated on how things go🙂

Have a wonderful time Lois. Looking forward to hearing all about it. xxx

12 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Some good news about our upcoming Kimberley cruise this week...

Our TA sent an email, asking if we'd be OK with an upgrade from Veranda to a Silver Suite! We didn't have to think too long about that one. Now we're even more excited for this trip - 11 days until we fly!

Thats really great news  JP and Chris  xx 🥂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@drron29 ... I see in your signature  - ORION - December 2010 Antarctica- Mawsons Hut .....we did it on the Orion in Jan 2009 it was a sensational trip, and to get inside the hut was amazing to see everything still there...... memories ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

Thats really great news  JP and Chris  xx 🥂

Hear hear.  We call it 'jammy' in the UK.  Very much looking forward to hearing all about it.

Lola

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Downunder55 said:

@drron29 ... I see in your signature  - ORION - December 2010 Antarctica- Mawsons Hut .....we did it on the Orion in Jan 2009 it was a sensational trip, and to get inside the hut was amazing to see everything still there...... memories ...

Yes it was an amazing experience and to top it of we saw a Leuclistic Adelie Penguin. Often called Isabelline. Said to be only 1 in 120000. Even rarer if nearly all white and the one we saw was close to being all white.

image.jpeg.a1d16a7d1c9275f7c65d41849ebdfa8d.jpeg     image.jpeg.f63a75a0ce4b750f14c9fee76771a05f.jpeg   image.jpeg.c6be4e2a262388837a93359bf1ca24a9.jpeg

For memories sake Mawson's Hut.

image.jpeg.c03f7d0c7573d81b641e2fdb43d90116.jpeg   image.jpeg.edb64a16ab035fdfae069a901b1bd914.jpeg   image.jpeg.495d3192e5f9496cabda15fd0a5639ae.jpeg

Frozen potatoes and things to keep you warm.

image.jpeg.648d56cd59e7a02434116a3d1ca51dcc.jpeg   image.jpeg.59095c63e2896e5c6c170fd36ccb7c40.jpeg

And who said Antarctica is cold.

image.jpeg.7327776458c1f0e13d2ba67f2f2aad1e.jpeg

And I celebrated my 64th birthday there.

image.jpeg.847b06b4c93a5e051f693afd3b951c8e.jpeg

It was the 99th Anniversary of Mawson's Hut and as far as I m aware no tourist has been back there. We are in a very select group @Downunder55.

Less people have been inside Mawson's Hut than have been on the summit of Mt.Everest.

image.jpeg

Edited by drron29
  • Like 9

Greetings Coolers!

We're back to reality and I have to say that I'm not interested in sticking around.  😅  Many frustrations with our return although at least the flight was good.

Thank you all for continuing to be the awesome community that we all know and love.  Special thank you to @drron29 !

Today's funny.....

376196554_678009727711587_3159607705779495529_n.jpg.528b08b0ad09992f6dcd81935db36245.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

I was just that minute debating whether to ask how things were with you, and thought 'no, leave her in peace for a while'.   Will look forward now to more from you - as and when.

Lola

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I was just that minute debating whether to ask how things were with you, and thought 'no, leave her in peace for a while'.   Will look forward now to more from you - as and when.

Lola

AGREE !!  It would take me weeks to  get back  to  "normal"  !! 

NO butler to  bring me a coffee or a glass of vino at my whim  ,,,,,   🥂  🤩  🥂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

We're back to reality and I have to say that I'm not interested in sticking around.  😅  Many frustrations with our return although at least the flight was good.

Thank you all for continuing to be the awesome community that we all know and love.  Special thank you to @drron29 !

Today's funny.....

376196554_678009727711587_3159607705779495529_n.jpg.528b08b0ad09992f6dcd81935db36245.jpg

You are too kind @mysty. I tried my best but couldn't keep up with your daily routine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, drron29 said:

You are too kind @mysty. I tried my best but couldn't keep up with your daily routine.

I think I have more idle time than you do @drron29 !  And you know what they say about idle hands make the devil's workshop.  😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Bon voyage!  Lois, will be interested to hear your thoughts on this cruise and ship after being spoiled by Silversea for so long 🙂

Good morning Coolers, and you are so correct......SS has spoiled me.. Don't get me wrong, I have met some lovely people and my cabin is very good size since I got a good deal on a Sky Suite with a big balcony. But the major difference is the crowd size, especially when folks want to get on elevator....why? WHY do they think they need to be arm to arm??? I will wait for the next one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

One week til we board the Muse in Seward for two weeks cruising Alaska coast.  I've been perusing the Spa treatments offered, and these two caught my eye:  

Thermal Rejuvenation Ritual
You’ll be flailed with birch branches, toadstools & tire chains (in the Norwegian manner), prior to slipping into our bracing dry heat sauna for 45 minutes, where you’ll enjoy the aromatic infusion of bay, witch hazel, hyssop & Vicks Vapo-Rub.  Then, it’s into the icy plunge pool - with a glug or two of liquid hydrogen, for good measure (in the pool, not you) - then a bracing dip in the briny seas astern (don’t worry, you’ll be tethered to the ship, maximum 15 knots full ahead).  On return to the poop deck, you’ll enjoy a water glass full of Aquavit (traditionally to be drained in one draught, lest you offend Oden…).  Next our team of North Korean masseuses (who sought asylum whilst representing the NK wrestling team abroad) will have their way with your back and nether regions - they are a stern bunch, but hew to the maxim:  “Spare the rod, spoil the child.”  Please note:  Referring to them as Nurse Ratchet is discouraged.  Finally, we’ll wrap you in a warm towel, and nest you into a reclining chair with a bowl of popcorn & "Happy Days" reruns on the telly.  

Bouef-Cake Bourginon Ceremony  
Clad in your red Speedo’s, you’ll have a brisk rubdown with EVOO (by masseuses maybe not so EV), then under the heatlamps you go.  (Sorry - no open flames on board.)  Being the manly sort, you won’t complain - but it IS hot in here.  Fortunately, you’ll be turned over to finish up.  Then its off you go to the special cast iron cauldron hot tub.  Once settled, your attendants will toss in some garlic, carrots & onions, and other aromatics, and up goes the heat in the tub.  After a short while they’ll sprinkle you with toasted flour, then into the sauna with you.  Once you’re warmed up properly, comes the fun part.  They’ll pour a bucket of veal stock in with you, a bouquet garni and copious amounts of red wine.  You'll even get a glass or three yourself.  Lastly, you’ll be joined by caramelized onions & mushrooms, and boiled new potatoes with parsley & butter, and presented to your spouse, who will by now, you hope, think you a tasty morsel.  A fresh baguette is included.  
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

47 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:
One week til we board the Muse in Seward for two weeks cruising Alaska coast.  I've been perusing the Spa treatments offered, and these two caught my eye:  

Thermal Rejuvenation Ritual
You’ll be flailed with birch branches, toadstools & tire chains (in the Norwegian manner), prior to slipping into our bracing dry heat sauna for 45 minutes, where you’ll enjoy the aromatic infusion of bay, witch hazel, hyssop & Vicks Vapo-Rub.  Then, it’s into the icy plunge pool - with a glug or two of liquid hydrogen, for good measure (in the pool, not you) - then a bracing dip in the briny seas astern (don’t worry, you’ll be tethered to the ship, maximum 15 knots full ahead).  On return to the poop deck, you’ll enjoy a water glass full of Aquavit (traditionally to be drained in one draught, lest you offend Oden…).  Next our team of North Korean masseuses (who sought asylum whilst representing the NK wrestling team abroad) will have their way with your back and nether regions - they are a stern bunch, but hew to the maxim:  “Spare the rod, spoil the child.”  Please note:  Referring to them as Nurse Ratchet is discouraged.  Finally, we’ll wrap you in a warm towel, and nest you into a reclining chair with a bowl of popcorn & "Happy Days" reruns on the telly.  

Bouef-Cake Bourginon Ceremony  
Clad in your red Speedo’s, you’ll have a brisk rubdown with EVOO (by masseuses maybe not so EV), then under the heatlamps you go.  (Sorry - no open flames on board.)  Being the manly sort, you won’t complain - but it IS hot in here.  Fortunately, you’ll be turned over to finish up.  Then its off you go to the special cast iron cauldron hot tub.  Once settled, your attendants will toss in some garlic, carrots & onions, and other aromatics, and up goes the heat in the tub.  After a short while they’ll sprinkle you with toasted flour, then into the sauna with you.  Once you’re warmed up properly, comes the fun part.  They’ll pour a bucket of veal stock in with you, a bouquet garni and copious amounts of red wine.  You'll even get a glass or three yourself.  Lastly, you’ll be joined by caramelized onions & mushrooms, and boiled new potatoes with parsley & butter, and presented to your spouse, who will by now, you hope, think you a tasty morsel.  A fresh baguette is included.  

The Muse offerings are very special!  Nothing like that on the Shadow! 😁

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, drron29 said:

Yes it was an amazing experience and to top it of we saw a Leuclistic Adelie Penguin. Often called Isabelline. Said to be only 1 in 120000. Even rarer if nearly all white and the one we saw was close to being all white.

Curious little critters them .....

image.thumb.png.0fd5093556c1e30b5401bec2e93a07e4.png

Just loved that everything was just left ....

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

Welcome back M. Reality is a place best kept at arms length. We’ve missed you and whilst feeling sad that your incredible adventure has drawn to a conclusion, I Can’t wait for you next one! Much love to you both xxx

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Welcome back M. Reality is a place best kept at arms length.

I second this, and suggest that Gin & Tonic is an excellent way to achieve the goal.  😅

• Haha 3

A dear friend just recommended a series on Apple TV with this review:

Modern Britain Is a Scene From Slow Horses 

Inspired by Mick Herron’s satirical novels, the Apple series captures a nation beset by institutional failure, political corruption, and hopelessness.

I had to explain to her that ‟institutional failure, political corruption, and hopelessness” is not a recommendation.  That’s what I try to escape in reading or viewing…

• Like 2

FYI: Have just found out from my T/A that even though the airline has

a direct flight, it is not offered by SS because SS doesn’t have a contract 

for direct flights.😡

31 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

for direct flights.😡

This must be a new thing.  Our flight home on Thursday was a direct flight.

Just joined this group.  We have our first SS cruise in March from Barbados to Ft Lauderdale on the Moon.  We also booked our 50th anniversary cruise in Alaska in August 2025 on the Nova.  I didn't see any whale watching excursions.  Will they pop up closer to the date or do we need to do these on our own?  

11 minutes ago, mysty said:

This must be a new thing.  Our flight home on Thursday was a direct flight.

maybe it was just over the Atlantic ocean IAD-LIS and MIA to DCA.

2 hours ago, zqtchas said:

for direct flights.😡

I’m sure you misunderstood. The likely answer is that they don’t have a contract with the airline that offers your specific direct flight.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I’m sure you misunderstood. The likely answer is that they don’t have a contract with the airline that offers your specific direct flight.

“They do not have direct flights under their contract” is what was stated.

So maybe so. I have never seen any direct flights offered to/from a Washington D.C. arpt.

• Like 1